Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD
Oct 23, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG
Mar 3, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

26 - 50 of 639 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Pawel L

Jul 14, 2019

To much focus on Foursquare API

By C. L P

Sep 3, 2020

The blind leading the blind.

Vague and confusing instructions. You are trying to teach new data scientists to do a business case analysis, but you just threw some random data and some generic methodology instructions at them. How can I demonstrate the process of coming to a 'business understanding' ? There's no client, and no goal!

I am genuinely unsure whether you consider it important to use the Seattle accident data, or whether I can use some other kind of data and solve an unrelated problem. The "good" example provided for the last week is something completely unrelated. If I choose something unrelated, too, do I have to risk a bad grade from my peers who don't understand it?

To add insult to injury, there doesn't seem to be any instructor available to answer the many, many desperate questions from learners on the forum.

The whole "peer review" thing needs to be re-through, especially when dealing with such a vague assignment. And the system of everybody spamming the forums with review requests, so you can't find any actual topics for discussion with other students, is a hot mess. And, let's face it, "peer review" is pretty useless anyway (and potentially discriminatory, by the way). If I had known the grading would be on this basis, I would never have bothered with this course.

By Mildred O

Sep 16, 2020

It would be great if resetting deadlines wouldn't erase all work/grades previously done/achieved.

By Pablo V V

Apr 2, 2019

more exercises, more projects.

By Sai T S

Jun 20, 2019

If I have to say one thing about Coursera or IBM Data Science Professional Certificate course, I would say it as a Fantastic thing happened in my life, I am so happy with it, and I am not going to leave Coursera for ever.

By TJ G

Jun 20, 2019

Very difficult to manage the scope, but it is a self-learning process. Recommend extending the Capstone course another week or two, to encourage the students to go all in on their work.

By Armen M

Dec 8, 2019

Just terrible , No Any Idea what to build no any suggestion what methods to use togeher

By Garima K

Mar 31, 2020

Outdated and poorly taught specialisation. My best experience on Coursera has been Andrew Ng's ML course and maybe it raised the bar too high. But that was a course that taught the student (keyword: taught). This does not even come close. Would not recommend.

By Dillon R

Oct 14, 2020

The course project was changed 4 days before the due date. This is unfair and it is a waste of time. If you don't want to waste 2 weeks of your time I would advise you not to take this course.

By Ferenc F P

Feb 26, 2019

This is really challenging course, especially that you get hint on how to use a RESTful API (of Foursquare), how to create heat maps, or create different marking on a map using folium. The Capstone was really challenging, because you can practice what you have learned during the courses of the specialization, like how to start from the scratch a project, how to apply the data science methodology, like business understanding, gathering, analyzing, and cleaning data (most of your time you will spend on this), applying the right machine learning algorithm to solve the problem (modeling), using Jupyter Notebook on IBM cloud and using github. In the end you should also prepare your final report including the business understanding, describing your data, presenting your result, and placing a discussion section in the end. It took me 4 full days to complete the capstone, but I learned a lot.

By Piyush L

Oct 21, 2019

This is the best part of the specialization and I learned a lot in this Capstone Project. If you've been doing all of the 8 previous courses, believe me those 8 courses are nothing compared to this course when it comes to putting time and hard work. You will learn a lot of things including web scraping, connecting to a url, using geolocation services to get data about a location. You'll also use foursquare API to get popular venues in a particular location. This project is super interesting but at the same you have to put in a lot of work too! It took me more than a month to do this capstone alone but it can be easily done in around 3 weeks if you're dedicated in completing it.

By James C

Jul 14, 2019

Good class, very useful. Peer grading is a great idea, don't like the practice of posting notes in the forum with subjects like "You grade mine and I'll grade yours." At the least, it gives the appearance of cheating. It is also wasteful, as it leads to some assignments being graded multiple times while others are waiting in the queue. This is a practice that Coursera encourages, which is baffling to me. Even in the last class in a 9 class series, I ran into people submitting blank or nearly blank assignments, with no content or inappropriate content, who were apparently hoping for a pity pass or cheating.

By Nur C N

Jul 23, 2019

This course is really good and give enough challenge on the final project, especially on how to get data from multiple sources: scraping data from web, call APIs, and visualize it on map after call the clustering algorithm. I like the way we should prepare all material to complete the course like visual presentation with slide/blog post, report, and share the code in GitHub. Really glad I take all these 9 courses, can't wait to take other specialization course.

By LEOPOLDO S

Jan 8, 2019

Very Good. This is my first contact with data science with python and associated packages.

In the end of the course I'm able to deal with data using python and a lot of tools that helps the job and let this job more fun.

A very well organized and balanced course with videos and very good material for practical labs.

I have a Swisse Knife with me to deal with future researches on data science.

Thanks.

By Sumit G

Jan 26, 2020

The course was very helpful in presenting me the world of data science, what exactly are the things we need to be proficient in to excel in this field ! Best course of all was Machine learning with Python, you will enjoy doing it ! and we need more questions in quiz to test what student has gained at every step.

By Naga M

Dec 16, 2018

This is a very useful capstone project in which you can apply all the learning you have done throughout the course, the more practice you do the more you learn. I like this course from coursera and recommend it for data science aspirants.

Thank You!

By Jamiil T A

Mar 30, 2019

A must take capstone project. Enroll for it and you will be moved by the project... Very interesting !

By Ozgur U

Jul 3, 2020

I finished all he 9 courses in this specialisation. Therefore, this comment basically applies most of the 9 courses.

The video contents and the practice exercises are very good and on point. Instructors are great. However, there are serious problems with the assessment mechanism and this is the reason why I am giving a 4 start.

If you work hard on the assignments, meaning that you study and research well to understand the code, you might end up getting a low score on assignments. This is because of peer-graded assignments. Your work might be graded by someone who doesn't understand the material as much as you do, or even someone who submitted a blank file just to see others' work. You rarely get feedback for the missing marks. As a simple example, I once submitted my work and received 4/11 with no feedback. I instantly re-submitted the same work and received 9/11 from another peer.

Another problem is that you get to see the rubric only after you submit. Some assignments are not clear on what the specific expectations are. The rubric must be clear before you submit the work. Even if you try to be flexible in your solution to address the vagueness, the peers may not show the same flexibility although you do the work properly.

And finally, the biggest issue.. Plagiarism! When I say plagiarism here, I mean copying someone else's work line by line all the way. It is utterly disgusting that it is more widespread than I initially thought. Such cases have been posted multiple times in the forum. I encountered at least 2 cases of plagiarism. The only thing you can do is to flag the submission, but obviously this doesn't stop anyone. What's worse is that those people who plagiarised someone else's work line by line get to peer-grade your own work.

Assessment section of these courses is a mess and has to be seriously re-evaluated. Peer graded assignments can be accepted to a certain extend but not for assignments that require hours and hours of our effort.

By Zoltán H

Oct 1, 2020

I enjoyed working on an open ended project, which was not the case in the remaining 8 courses in this specialisation. I was completely unprepared for some common challenges with a real life dataset and it took me a hard time to address them. On the other hand, it is hideous that only one person reviews your assignment and there are absolutely no requirements regarding the accuracy of the results. I mean who would accept a statistical model with the lowest possible accuracy in your new dream job? Anyhow, the only reason why I kept improving my project is just to show it to my potential future employer and not because of the requirements. The other funny thing is the cavalcade of "Please review my assignment" threads in the discussion forums, which makes it impossible to have a meaningful discussion there. In conclusion, I did other courses on Coursera, but this one had a far lower quality than those.

By Muhammad F S

May 9, 2020

It has been a fantastic journey of completing the 9 course specialization over the past two months!

I practically started with no prior exposure to data science but learned a lot of useful Python skills, tips-and-tricks, and knowledge about data science. The course material and instructors were excellent, and the Jupyter Notebooks were very challenging at times - at least for someone who had left programming around 15-years ago.

The specialization, as it says, is of beginner level but would definitely equip the students to move forward on their own in their quest for data science.

I would suggest adding courses on probability and statistics, linear algebra, and calculus in the specialization.

By Olin H K

May 16, 2020

What a wild ride! The IBM Data Science Professional Certificate was my first exposure to coding and Data Science. The courses prior to the Capstone really do give you enough rope where you can do some cool stuff for the Capstone Project. Throughout the program, I learned where to go when I needed to teach myself something, while I was exposed to the basics.

I'm probably not normal, but I spent 40 or so hours on the capstone project itself. Lots of Frustration at times, but lots of fun as well and I was proud of what I was able to accomplish.

By Hayford T

May 13, 2020

When I started this course I didn't know how fast I could grab these concepts in Data Science, it has been a challenging journey, especially learning a new programming language Python with all the libraries and packages, but Don't underestimate the little efforts, It leads to greatness. Now through Coursera and IBM I can boast courses that has prepared and given me head start into my new career. Coursera has made it possible for me to study at my own pace. This is amazing!, it worth recommending!.

By Atfy I Z

Apr 27, 2020

A great course that tests your skills to apply your cumulative knowledge on Data Science since you embarked on the Programme.

As for me, even though I don't intend to become a full-fledged Data Science, this course along with the Specialisation Programme provide sufficient understanding and practical hands-on learning to better appreciate benefits and constraints of Data Science, particularly on the importance of data and machine learning ability.

By Dayli S

Apr 30, 2020

I really like using everything I learned into my own example built from the beginning to end. I felt a little bit unsecured with the assignment at the beginning, because I was really a beginner in Python before I started this course. But it encouraged me a lot to finish it and to learn more. Now I have a basis and a lot of information, that I need to sort out. I am planning to do more Python courses and continue practicing.

By Marvin L

Oct 31, 2019

It was very good.. Overall. few things I like to add.

Sharing my notebook from Cloud was not working a lots time.

GitHub , or Jupiter Notebook with simple 2 lines of coding did not work..

Also, a lot of time, cloud machine just spins.. -- without showing it

My resource got close to limit , - Could not add more code..

Instructions were out of date, could not be applied current version

Working with Cloud machine was challenging !!