Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD

Oct 24, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG

Mar 04, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

26 - 50 of 310 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Pablo V V

Apr 02, 2019

more exercises, more projects.

By Ferenc F P

Feb 26, 2019

This is really challenging course, especially that you get hint on how to use a RESTful API (of Foursquare), how to create heat maps, or create different marking on a map using folium. The Capstone was really challenging, because you can practice what you have learned during the courses of the specialization, like how to start from the scratch a project, how to apply the data science methodology, like business understanding, gathering, analyzing, and cleaning data (most of your time you will spend on this), applying the right machine learning algorithm to solve the problem (modeling), using Jupyter Notebook on IBM cloud and using github. In the end you should also prepare your final report including the business understanding, describing your data, presenting your result, and placing a discussion section in the end. It took me 4 full days to complete the capstone, but I learned a lot.

By Piyush L

Oct 21, 2019

This is the best part of the specialization and I learned a lot in this Capstone Project. If you've been doing all of the 8 previous courses, believe me those 8 courses are nothing compared to this course when it comes to putting time and hard work. You will learn a lot of things including web scraping, connecting to a url, using geolocation services to get data about a location. You'll also use foursquare API to get popular venues in a particular location. This project is super interesting but at the same you have to put in a lot of work too! It took me more than a month to do this capstone alone but it can be easily done in around 3 weeks if you're dedicated in completing it.

By Nur C N

Jul 23, 2019

This course is really good and give enough challenge on the final project, especially on how to get data from multiple sources: scraping data from web, call APIs, and visualize it on map after call the clustering algorithm. I like the way we should prepare all material to complete the course like visual presentation with slide/blog post, report, and share the code in GitHub. Really glad I take all these 9 courses, can't wait to take other specialization course.

By LEOPOLDO S

Jan 09, 2019

Very Good. This is my first contact with data science with python and associated packages.

In the end of the course I'm able to deal with data using python and a lot of tools that helps the job and let this job more fun.

A very well organized and balanced course with videos and very good material for practical labs.

I have a Swisse Knife with me to deal with future researches on data science.

Thanks.

By Sumit G

Jan 26, 2020

The course was very helpful in presenting me the world of data science, what exactly are the things we need to be proficient in to excel in this field ! Best course of all was Machine learning with Python, you will enjoy doing it ! and we need more questions in quiz to test what student has gained at every step.

By Julien P

Feb 23, 2020

Great to put into action the theoretical knowledge acquired in the previous 8 classes. What could be improved? The peer-rating system can be very slow. A common practice is to go on the forum to beg for a rating by another learner. This can be tiring.

By Naga M

Dec 16, 2018

This is a very useful capstone project in which you can apply all the learning you have done throughout the course, the more practice you do the more you learn. I like this course from coursera and recommend it for data science aspirants.

Thank You!

By SAKTHIVEL G

Mar 04, 2020

By Jamiil T A

Mar 30, 2019

A must take capstone project. Enroll for it and you will be moved by the project... Very interesting !

By Ian C

Apr 26, 2019

Felt a bit constrained by the requirement to include the Foursquare API.

By Nikolay D

Dec 27, 2018

Very easy to understand and remember this material

By Hadi N

Dec 28, 2019

I would have liked to come up with a capstone project which did not encourage me to use location data from Foursquare, and rather use other data to come up with problems and solutions which do not necessarily have to do with location data. But all in all, it was an interesting course and great knowledge was gained

By Yechen H

Oct 06, 2019

Overall, the course is very practical, you have the chance to do a project use the technology you have learned so far, and get a feeling of what Data Science work looks like. Recommend for those who interested in Data Science Area.

By Pawel P

Nov 05, 2018

Some things were outdated and did not work properly for me.

Peer-graded assignments where one has to create a github repository is totally unnecessary.

By Alex Y

Aug 09, 2019

Did not like Foursquare and was obliged to use it to complete the course

By James C

Jul 14, 2019

Good class, very useful. Peer grading is a great idea, don't like the practice of posting notes in the forum with subjects like "You grade mine and I'll grade yours." At the least, it gives the appearance of cheating. It is also wasteful, as it leads to some assignments being graded multiple times while others are waiting in the queue. This is a practice that Coursera encourages, which is baffling to me. Even in the last class in a 9 class series, I ran into people submitting blank or nearly blank assignments, with no content or inappropriate content, who were apparently hoping for a pity pass or cheating.

By Marvin L

Oct 31, 2019

It was very good.. Overall. few things I like to add.

Sharing my notebook from Cloud was not working a lots time.

GitHub , or Jupiter Notebook with simple 2 lines of coding did not work..

Also, a lot of time, cloud machine just spins.. -- without showing it

My resource got close to limit , - Could not add more code..

Instructions were out of date, could not be applied current version

Working with Cloud machine was challenging !!

By Anthony S

Mar 02, 2020

This course was challenging but rewarding. The setting up of the course was really quite frustrating but as everything continued I found myself incredibly engaged with what is going on. This course specialization was my first exposure to what are essentially programming skills and use of the Python language so it was really valuable to be able to produce a piece of work to demonstrate what I learned.

By Srinivas M B

May 13, 2019

This Course is excellent and it gives Data Science,Methodology,python programming,Machine learning algorithims,Labs Excercises,Assignments and finally Capstone Project is worth to gain very good skills and knowledge.With this course I gained very strong skills and am now very confident in this Data Scientist field. Thank You Coursera and IBM for this course.

By Hari K G

Sep 12, 2019

This is wonderful platform for enthusiastic Data Scientists aspirants to learn sophisticated empirical analysis to understand and make predictions about complex systems. Demonstrated methods and tooling from probability and statistics, mathematics, and computer science and primarily focus on extracting insights from data.

ThankYou

Hari Kumar G

By Abhishek S

Oct 21, 2019

Great Specialization. I thank the whole team of IBM and Coursera for providing me this valuable knowledge. This specialization is my first stepping stone towards my aim of becoming a Data Scientist.

Also, I would love to convey thanks to Coursera for this wonderful Financial aid program, only because of which I completed this course.

By Tareq A

Apr 27, 2019

It's a high technical course includes new professional and market need tools. In addition to that it review the previous courses tools and used to build our final capstone project.

Thank you, IBM, Thank you, Coursera, Thank you, all Instructors and students who participate in the discussion of courses forum.

By Agustin P S

Feb 13, 2020

I'm glad we get to choose the theme of our final project, because I had a lot of fun, and not having any templates or guides to follow really tests what you have learned until now.

This course can either be really fun or really boring, depending on what YOU choose as your final project.

By Folorunsho E

Oct 15, 2019

Quite a long series of lectures, but it's definitely worth every minute. I've come to grow from a rudimentary understanding of data science to a level where i can tackle moderately difficult exercises. It was a thralling learning experience for me.