Back to International Law in Action: the Arbitration of International Disputes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Law in Action: the Arbitration of International Disputes by Universiteit Leiden

‘The Arbitration of International Disputes’ is the third course of Leiden University’s series on International Law in Action. The first course covered generalities on the international courts and tribunals in The Hague, while the second course provided an insider's perspective into the work of international criminal courts and tribunals. This third course explores the major aspects of international arbitration as one of the most common method of international dispute settlement . Through this course you will gain an in-depth understanding of the various facets of international arbitration through the analysis of its role as a mechanism of dispute settlement, its institutions, the fields of law it is applicable to, and, of course, its most famous awards. The main question we will answer together during this course is "Can international arbitration contribute to the creation of a peaceful world through the settlement of disputes between States and between States and non-State actors?" In order to do so, we will learn the basic historical concepts or arbitration, as well as everything there is to know about the Permanent Court of Arbitration, based in The Hague. We will then dive into the role of international arbitration in settling disputes relating to the Law of the Sea, with a particular insight into the landmark South China Sea Arbitration. For an entire module, we will focus on investment arbitration, its principles and the procedure of the ICSID, the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes. We will conclude the course with a module on the interplay between state immunity and enforcement of arbitral awards. This is brought to light through the Yukos Arbitration which is a perfect illustration of the topic. This course offers you an opportunity to gain a better insight into international arbitration, its role and the current issues relating to it. You will gain in-depth knowledge of the principles and rules of arbitration. You will explore the topic through concrete examples and the most prominent arbitrations. You will also grasp the notion of international arbitration navigating between law and politics. International arbitration and The Hague go hand in hand: several key arbitration institutes are located in The Hague and important disputes were settled here through arbitration. The Hague is, so to speak, ‘the place to be for international arbitration’, especially when we are dealing with arbitration between States, or arbitration of investment disputes between foreign investors and States. Join us for the course and become an expert on international arbitration! This course is free to join and to participate in. There is the possibility to get a verified certificate for the course, which is a paid option. If you want a certificate, but are unable to pay for it, you can request financial aid via Coursera....

LM
May 7, 2020

Great course to provide an overview of international arbitration. The last exercise needs to be updated with the latest info on the Yukos case, the Appels Court (18/02/2020) reinstated the PCA award.

NK
Aug 8, 2020

Excellent course with an adequate introduction to International Arbitration, including Investment Arbitration. I highly recommend this course to anyone venturing into this field of law.

26 - 50 of 116 Reviews for International Law in Action: the Arbitration of International Disputes

By jamal s b

Dec 9, 2019

the most important course I have taken concerning about arbitration,and advise every one interesting in this subject to start,many sources and views easily to be full aware about ,just take the first step..

By PRANAB N

Feb 8, 2021

I find this The Arbitration of International Disputes very useful, as through the course I learned how Arbitration is conducted. The Case studies are quite useful in bringing more clarity to the lectures.

By Nishtha K

Aug 9, 2020

By Mylene B

Oct 17, 2020

A good backgrounder on International arbitration. I have an in depth knowledge of the subject after finishing the course. I want to pursue an LLM in relation to this field of law.

By Dwi S R

Aug 17, 2020

This course is totally great! I got a wonderful experience and new knowledge about the arbitration of international disputes. The explanations are communicative and insightful!

By rohit k

Jul 12, 2018

The course content was really good and met my expectations. I am very thankful to both the instructors for designing this wonderful course

By Ender

May 13, 2020

The lecture and content of the course will be more beneficial for me in my future professional life.

Thanks for the course organisation

By Yulia S

Dec 10, 2019

That was an interesting course with extensive amount of new information for me and good lectures but quite simple tests. Thank you!

By Taaniyaa

Aug 6, 2020

It was a fantastic course. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you to the Professors and Coursera for making is available to us.

By Elif Ö K

Feb 5, 2019

It was a useful and introducing course to learn the essential points about the arbitration in a simple and complete way.

By Christine W

Oct 24, 2020

Superb course, I enjoyed every module and learned a huge amount about areas of law I had not previously encountered.

By Richik D

May 12, 2020

Really helped me out in learning the basics of Arbitration. Was concise and easy to comprehend. Thanks!

By Eliza M

May 2, 2020

I highly appreciate your course and really enjoyed while learning. It was so useful and quite helpful!

By Arnold M

great course, the lecturers are very articulate and you easily grasp the important principles

By ONUR K

Feb 6, 2021

Thanks for this useful course. İ'm sure that, this course will help me on my future career.

By Sun J

Feb 10, 2019

Excellent course for Law school students to start learning arbitration in a systematic way.

By Oduor K K

Nov 10, 2018

Very helpful, especially the material which were shared. I would be using them in future.

By Dr A A C

Course Contents is most appropriate and shall contribute towards learners. Thank you

By Zuzana M K

Feb 17, 2019

Excellent course for beginners to the international investment law and arbitration.

By Ajao D J

Jan 24, 2021

The course has been so helpful in enlightening me in international arbitration.

By Aayush K

Aug 15, 2020

Had a great experience with my first online course and learning of the subject.

By Amr A W

Jul 16, 2019

This course is one of the most interesting courses on the Coursera platform. :)

By Javier F Q

Sep 18, 2020

Outstanding program with truly great professors and impaired content. Thanks!!

By Sruthi D M

Aug 5, 2020

Gives you a strong foundation of most aspects of International Arbitration!

By gaurav m

Jul 23, 2020

Great insight on International disputes, considering a certificate course.