Back to At the Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization: Archaeology of the City from the Levant to the West - 3rd-1st millennium BC

Learner Reviews & Feedback for At the Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization: Archaeology of the City from the Levant to the West - 3rd-1st millennium BC by Sapienza University of Rome

Which are the deepest roots of that mix of cultures that we use to call ‘Mediterranean Civilization’? Which are comminglings and exchanges which produced its most complete fruit, i.e. the city, a place for landscape-modelling communities? And which elements did contribute to build up that baulk of customs, ideas, and innovations which compelled to confrontation and hybridizations different peoples for millennia? What did it made, from pottery to metallurgy, from gastronomy to architecture, from art to religion, of a sea a cradle of civilization? Archaeology may help in disentangling such questions, seeking unexpected answers , by tinkering what ancient Mediterranean peoples left buried in the ground. A privileged point of view of our course is the ancient Phoenician city of Motya, located exactly at the centre of the “sea in the middle”. Throughout the live experience of excavation, with images taken on the field, this course will let you touch the many tesserae of the great mosaic of the Mediterranean Civilization. The field diary of the archaeologist, and the handpick will be the two tools, which will lead us across the sea to discover what such early cities actually were, and how their contribute is still a major part of our shared memory....

DA

Aug 10, 2017

wonderful explanation along with good slides and maps and incredible readings\n\nbut the main organization was my favorite part because I learned so much about ancient cities as well as Motya

A

Jul 29, 2017

A very informative and interesting study of the origins of Mediterranean civilization. The course is packed with examples and explanations and delivered by the superb Prof. Nigro

76 - 100 of 112 Reviews for At the Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization: Archaeology of the City from the Levant to the West - 3rd-1st millennium BC

By Damon T R

Aug 04, 2017

F

By Javier G G

Apr 27, 2020

Ha sido realmente bueno el poder repasar el mundo fenicio. Lo que he echado mucho en falta es que se hubiera hablado del mundo fenicio en términos más ámplios geográficamente hablando, y no solo basarse en un solo yacimiento. El curso está muy bien pero únicamente se basa en el yacimiento de Motia y no se habla casi nada de los enclaves fenicios del norte de África o de la Península Ibérica. Debe quedar claro que es un curso sobre los fenicios en un lugar muy concreto: Motia. El título del curso debería cambiar sustancialmente ya el mismo nos induce a confusión, no tiene nada que ver éste con el curso a realizar.

By Shelley A

Oct 01, 2019

The content was excellent and the new information was personally very exciting to me. Prof. Nigri and the staff are to be complemented. As a native English speaker, the English in some of the transcripts and certain quiz questions did cause me to stumble at times (e.g., there is a major difference between 'basement' and 'battlements')--but I appreciate the effort it took to teach this course in a foreign language. I learned so much and this course has opened up a whole new world of ancient history to me. I want to visit the excavation at Motya! Grazi!

By Jamie W

Jun 25, 2020

Very interesting case studies into ancient civilizations. I took this class because of my own Sicilian heritage and it was fulfilling in that it taught me about my history. I think more connections could be made between the various civilizations we read about. Some articles were also written in Spanish and Italian, which I can't access with my level of ability in those languages. Otherwise I would recommend to someone who is interested in this time period or culture.

By Elisabeth M

Mar 01, 2020

Curso muy interesante!. me interesa la historia como pasatiempo y desconocía totalmente la existencia de Motia y sus ruinas. El próximo Mayo, si el coronavirus me lo permite, voy a ir a Túnez y Malta, por lo que estoy leyendo acerca de los Fenicios, y es probable que me acerque a Sicilia, donde ya estuve, pero no conocía estos lugares. Gracias profesor Nigro, transmite su entusiasmo. Desde Argentina

By Rodrigo C S M

Aug 09, 2020

Great course! It was really interesting to know the ancient origins of Motya and how were conducted the the archaeological studies of its remais. I would only point out that the english text of the lectures has several mistakes. Other than that I really appreciated the course!

By Ellen S

Jun 30, 2019

I enjoyed learning this material. It was fun trying to interpret the English text which I assume was done by machine with some strange results. Most, but not all, of the time I was able to figure out the word by listening to the audio in slower speed.

By Fethi O Ö

Jul 07, 2017

Phoenician is a specific subject in the Ancient Mediterrenean History.Why Phoaenicians came to the west from the east? Where did they live in the west? Many thanks Sapienza University and Lorenzo Nigro for the laborious course.

By Daniel V

Nov 30, 2017

Very informative and the lecturer is quite engaging. The items in the quizzes are sometimes a bit cryptic and every now and then one finds oneself guessing at exactly what is being asked.

By Vasso C

Feb 06, 2020

The material was extremely interesting. I have learned many interesting things. Unfortunately, the subtitles were so bad that I had to spend a lot of time to decipher the text.

By Elizabeth G

Apr 14, 2020

Some of the lectures were difficult to understand ( names and places) and the translation texts were incorrect. Good course otherwise, enjoyed it!

By Judith M S

May 01, 2018

Really interesting course! The quizz needs some improvements in terms of grammar (some questions/answers are difficult to understand). Thank you!!

By Rafael M

Jan 07, 2019

Bom curso, o professor é querido, mas muitas vezes pareceu mais uma série de leituras de relatórios arqueológicos do que uma aula de história

By Federico C

Oct 08, 2018

Great course. I enjoy the most when a Proffesor talks about his passion, like in this case. 5 stars if the Proffesor spoke better English.

By Shiva P P

Aug 04, 2020

Please try concentrating on the clarity of the subtitles. It was too difficult to follow the professor without the correct subtitles.

By Karen W

Apr 28, 2020

It was very interesting. It was sometimes hard to understand what the Professor was saying and the written notes didn't always help.

By David J H

Apr 16, 2019

A very interesting course with lots of information. The translations were at times a little challenging.

By Isabel G C

Nov 07, 2019

Muy interesante y útil, aunque un poco confusas algunas explicaciones y preguntas de los test

By Rebeca P M

Aug 21, 2017

It is a very interesting course to know the Phoenician city of Motya.

By Charles B

Aug 30, 2020

was well paced would have liked a little more history

By Dennis W

Jun 02, 2018

My first try at a subject like this. Very well done.

By Benedict S