Back to The Art of Negotiation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Art of Negotiation by University of California, Irvine

4.3

The art of negotiation comes into play daily in the life of employees at all levels and in every position. Participants explore how current approaches to negotiation strategy and tactics are used, what negotiation entails, types of negotiation relationships that exist from hard bargain to win-win, to fully partnered relationships and personal ones. The course explores the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator. Participants discuss how empowerment, power, and authority affect the negotiation process and outcome. Topics include how important it is to plan and prepare for a negotiation session. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Learn about the nature of negotiation and how it differs from selling 2. Gain awareness of the basic doctrines of negotiation and barriers to effective negotiation 3. Explain the role of authority and how to address it in negotiations 4. Explain the role of power in negotiations and how to address power inequities 5. Explain the positive and negative influences of empowerment 6. Learn the different “stances” or negotiation styles negotiators might adopt 7. Demonstrate the factors that influence which negotiation style is implemented 8. Describe the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator 9. Demonstrate your grasp of emotional intelligence and how it impacts the effectiveness of a negotiator 10. Assess your own values and personal style and how they affect the negotiation process 11. Learn about the critical importance of planning and preparation in the negotiation process...

EE

Nov 29, 2017

Considering and placing value on my counterpart's interest as a way to obtaining an overall positive outcome in negotiations made sense to me as a Christian. Applying this principle

CP

Jan 05, 2020

This course really taught me well about negotiation skill. I can understand completely on how we need to prepare, highlight and implement negotiation skills in our deals

1 - 25 of 193 Reviews for The Art of Negotiation

By Vanessa L

Dec 03, 2018

helpful and practical coverage of the principled negotiation method. Excellent base for newbies and refresher for old-timers. Never hurts to refresh the basics!

By DINAH N T

Oct 26, 2018

Great class and content. I can’t wait to apply in real life situations. Thank you.

By usama d

Oct 10, 2018

A lot of information regarding the negotiation. very good subject and informative.

By Martin S

Jan 06, 2019

I enjoyed this course. I would like to recommend it. Regards

By Mayrine F

Nov 18, 2018

Excellent skill builder! Priceless in my profession!

By Abdelmohimen H

Oct 27, 2018

amazing course for life and working

By Tuan D N D

Dec 14, 2018

Simple, short but very informative course, hope that Instructors can add more practical scenarios to test what I've learned

By Aura M T

Aug 29, 2017

Great course!! Easy to follow and at the same time provides you with a lot of information. Good examples of every new concept and a great teacher.

By Givaldo A

Jan 02, 2019

excellent course that gave me a lot of knowledge that I will certainly use every day, thank you.

By Carlos E V A

Dec 10, 2018

please add more courses with this instructor!!

By RUBEN D M O

May 13, 2016

Este curso es uno de los mejores que puedo decir haber realizado hasta ahora, principalmente porque te ayuda a definir como tomar decisiones en diferentes entornos y como abordar diferentes circunstancias dependiendo el perfil de las personas, negociar no es saber comprar, es saber escuchar y enfocar las actitudes en resultados siempre positivos tanto para ti como para los demás.

By Fuad H

Aug 16, 2017

Very informative and useful course, however the test questions are nor realistic only for one answer, I mean that there are many alternative answers in the test that will be correct in real life. But tutor considers only one of them as correct, and that is very confusing. I think test must be realistic but not be based upon the tutor perception. Thanks

By Amarnath A

Apr 11, 2016

Great short course. Like the main points brought up. Would have been great to have some real case studies of negotiations that went well and badly to learn from. Even a reading of cases hre would have set the whole thing in context.

By Nguyen M C

Jan 20, 2016

I think this is a great course. It gives me more fundamental knowledge in negotiation. Although it provides details all information but give us a overview when start a negotiation with everyone or any organization.

By Masood A

Aug 10, 2015

The Art of Negotiation is unique course in business life, after passing three modules i feel that i made huge mistake during negotiations in the past. this course help me to overcome past mistakes of Negotiation.

By Nhan T

Oct 28, 2019

very interesting course. I took many times to try the quiz and realized that sometimes common sense and usual thoughts are not very effective in negotiation. Great course to learn. Special thanks for instructor

By AMITAVA D

Oct 16, 2015

This is the best Negotiation course I have attended. It is focused on principles negotiation and takes us through the steps needed to become a successful and honest negotiator. Great delivery. Thank you.

By Jennifer L B

Apr 03, 2017

I really enjoyed this course; it's applicable to most aspects of your life. It gave me some perspective into past negotiations, and how I could make the next negotiation (whatever it is) in my life better.

By Ekereobong E

Nov 29, 2017

By Catharina C P

Jan 05, 2020

By Syahril A G

Mar 28, 2019

This topic online course will be very beneficial for me in pursuing my career goals. Thank you coursera, the instructors and UCI Extension, Div. of Continuing Education.

By Anoop G

Jan 30, 2018

I am new to Coursera and this is my first course. I found it very helpful in the current area of work. The detailing is good and the concepts are practicable.

By Roberto A

Dec 27, 2019

Foi vendido como um programa integrado, com certificado, mas ao final o que temos é um certificado para cada curso isoladamente, o que não é a mesma coisa.

By Mario J R M

Mar 31, 2017

The Art of Negotiation

Congratulations on the platform

Congratulations on the administrative order of the course

Congratulations on the Success of the Course

By JUAN G F R

Jul 21, 2018

Me ayudó bastante a tener un panorama amplio y completo de cómo lograr negociaciones exitosas. Muy diferente a lo que yo pensaba de las negociaciones.