Back to Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space by University of Arizona

This course is designed for anyone who is interested in learning more about modern astronomy. We will help you get up to date on the most recent astronomical discoveries while also providing support at an introductory level for those who have no background in science....

SM
Jul 1, 2020

Amazing introductory course and covers wide variety of topics ranging from history, to astronomy to astrobiology. Really great of amateur astronomers and for anyone who is remotely interested in it.

UA
Jun 26, 2019

76 - 100 of 855 Reviews for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

By Joseph M

Jul 13, 2020

A privilege and a blessing (in the spiritual sense) to have come across this unique course - and so brilliantly choreographed by Prof Chris Impey and his team. The course was very well structured, crisp and precise to a novice in Astronomy like me and to obtain a basic understanding of our cosmos, and our place in the universe. The Earth is unique ands seems to have been created with great care and precision by the superior being or intelligent presence in the universe. I wish I could live forever to be part of the fascinating progress in astronomy and be part of the future explorations and travels into the wider cosmos.

I look forward to enhancing my knowledge gained on Astronomy by undergoing further courses. My best wishes to the University of Arizona.

By Tejas K G

Jul 12, 2020

The Astronomy: Exploring time and space coarse by University of Arizona was very nice. I got new things to learn in the course about Astronomy. As expected the course has covered up all the Astronomy topics from cosmology, solar system to astrobiology. So now I am feeling great after completing the course today. I like the teaching patterns quizes and activities taken in the course. The activities like galaxy zoo and micro Observetory are much more inspiring to us. Also there were lots of live Q- A sections on YouTube by sir Chris Impey to solve the queries of students or learners . So Thank you to sir Chris Impey.

Also thank you very much to University of Arizona for providing such a great coarse to us. Also thank you to caursera.

By Michael F

Apr 27, 2018

What an amazing class and enjoyable experience this has been for me personally. I feel that now I can at least understand some basic fundamental properties of the cosmos. I have been a follower of Dr. Carl Sagan for many years and Professor Stephen Hawking (RIP) as well. I thank my lucky stars (pun intended) for wonderful teachers like professor Chris Impey who has created a remarkable presentation of facts, theories and ideas that we know about the universe and salts our curiosity to continue exploring the big questions of who we are, where we came from, and what does it all mean. That you professor Impey for all you and so many others introduced in this class have done.

All the best,

Michael Fredericksen (Indiana, USA)

By Damir G

Really great course, enjoyed it a lot, it's easy to follow and a lot of fun. As it turns out it's already 7 years old and the subject of Astronomy has been developing very rapidly that some of the material already requires to be updated. The fun videos to lighten up the subject are great but most of them look like they are from 80's or 90's and the quality of the picture on those are of the same old VHS tape quality. The subject 10 about the Cosmology is a little hard to follow, watched it several times but still hard to get some of the topics and the examples are sometimes confusing. Other than that it's a really great course which I recommend to everyone. Thank you very much for your hard work!!!

By hamid m

Mar 24, 2019

thank you professor chris for making my day(s). really, when i see all the useless things people do, it is your astronomy class that puts things in perspective. plus, i hate to say this on a public forum; playing your videos helped put me to sleep at night, kinda like a bedtime story. truly, i have separation anxiety wondering how i'm going to be able to fall asleep now. the biggest problem i experienced with this was trying to keep track of my videos, because it would autoplay and cycle through an entire week. if coursera could put an option in there for that. i ended up playing my videos in reverse chronological order so when i fell asleep it would cycle through all the ones i had already watched

By veysel a

Jul 8, 2020

This course has taught me every aspect of astronomy. I am graduated from political sciences and now planning to have my own radio telescope as soon as possible. But beyond that, it was a very neat study of science in general and mostly a very exciting period of time. The textbook is quite detailed and well prepared, starting from basic knowledge of physics which was a wonderful starting point for the ones from out of the field. There are bunch of interviews with the scientists from the field on the subject and a livestream available to asking questions each week. The video lessons are very intriguing. I am very thankful to Prof. Chris Impey and his team. and many thanks to coursera.org for this course.

By Hreem K M

Aug 8, 2020

Professor Chris Impey does an excellent job of being an Educator about the Cosmos and its related fields. From observational equipment to planetary bodies, stars, galaxies, moons, astrobiology, and even radiation and various wavelengths; he covers all in this course and much more, making it enjoyable to all. Even though I consider myself passionate and well-versed in astronomical concepts, I still learnt so many new things, adding to the vast knowledge one can gain from this field and satisfying as well as growing one's curiosity. Numerous thanks and heartiest regards to Professor Chris Impey, the Steward Observatory Teaching Team, as well as those on Coursera for making this happen. Much love!!

By Owen L

Jul 13, 2020

Very well done course! There's a bit of an over reliance on videos, which sometimes feature silly clips from TV shows or very odd music videos.

But overall the instructor is clear and engaging, the exercises test your attention and understanding, and there's a lot of material covered in a well structured format.

I would have liked to see a bit more physics and math and a wider variety of teaching formats (it's really just a lot of videos - the lecture slides are there but they're kind of useless). I really enjoyed the two projects, and the peer-reviewed writing exercises are useful if flawed. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about the stars.

By Matko Z

Oct 4, 2016

I am a First year master in software engineering, but also a really curious "kid". In my search for interesting course related to astronomy I found this one.

Although I am only half way through the course I state that this is the most compelling course I have taken on Coursera. Since I have more then some knowledge of scientific method, physics and other topics talked about in the course, but not as much in astronomy I find the course tailored for me. Especially taking into account that this course is in the right spot between popular knowledge and a little bit of science and engineering.

Prof. Impley is excellent in explaining, even amazing at some points :)

By Deborah C

Aug 22, 2020

I was expecting a low-key introduction to commonly known information about astronomy with some new images from the Hubble telescope. I've taken similar on-line courses for the general public before. This course, in contrast, provided thought-provoking, challenging material in every unit. I found myself re-reading the supplementary materials, re-watching videos, and doing additional on-line research because my curiosity was piqued. Professor Impey is a master teacher, and the supporting materials in the class provide additional depth and perspectives, and sometimes a dose of humor through light-hearted videoclips. Thank you for this excellent course.

By Jennifer R

Jun 15, 2020

This course is fascinating, engaging and of high quality; Professor Impey is obviously interested in sharing his field with a wide audience. Although familiarity with physics and mathematics helps with understanding the material, no math or science background is required to enjoy and complete this course. The lecture videos are interspersed with photographs, diagrams, and videos. An online textbook is available to further delve into the subject matter. Two interesting projects are assigned, involving actual science online. And to top it off, Professor Impey had live Q&A sessions on YouTube live. Highly recommend to anyone curious about our universe!

By Garth M

Nov 1, 2020

Firstly, I would like to thank the UA for offering this eye-opening course about the final frontier. Secondly to Prof. Impey, who spent weeks or even months compiling all the videos, slides and notes that went into this Astronomy course - it was well worth it. A big thank you to the moderator, Christy Read, for the continued support and advice that she patiently and unselfishly provided to all who partook in this course.

I honestly enjoyed the Astronomy course and it provided me with new insight into our enigmatic, yet mesmerizing and fascinating universe. I would definitely sign up / enroll for similar courses in the future. LIVE LONG & PROSPER!

By Utkarsh T

Jun 8, 2019

This course has a deep impact on my vantage point about the obvious things that I have always taken for granted without considering the possibility of a scientific basis behind them. It helped me understand the fundamentals not only in astronomy but also real-life day-to-day things and I am so glad to write about historical viewpoints and beliefs that this course has provided me.

I am so impressed by the work of Professor Chris Impey and his team. You people have made it possible such an organized course for all the students(especially who are not from astronomy background).

Looking forward to be a part of any other similar course in the future.

By Arjun S

Dec 7, 2017

This course has been a wonderful and very informative experience. Aimed at novices like me, it manages to explain very complicated stuff in easily understood ways. I guess Prof Impey is a fan of Carl Sagan and is carrying on his proud tradition of making difficult science more accessible to people who don't have the necessary training. However, I would advise future learners to spend as much time as possible researching the Teach Astronomy website which is an invaluable source for material directly connected to the course. You will find it much easier to tackle the assignments if you do. Can't wait for them to offer other courses like this!

By Armando F

Jun 13, 2020

I was enthusiastic about this course in which I participated only for personal interest in astronomy without having curriculum or career purposes. I have discovered many interesting new things and above all I am now encouraged to continue to deepen the topics that most interested me.

I am sincerely admired by the vastness of prof. Impey is the naturalness with which he exposes even the most complex concepts.

Sincere congratulations! And many compliments and thanks also to the mentor Christy Read for the kindness and competence with which we have followed our work in these weeks

Many thanks to all the staff !!

By Eric Y

Apr 28, 2017

Chris Impey eases into the subject of astronomy, with increasingly difficult subject matter as the course proceeds. However, he is very methodical and plain (in a good way) in his language, and his videos are a joy to watch. I started this course already interested in amateur astronomy and learned a lot of new things about the technology and methodology in astronomy. I'd recommend this to anyone who is really interested in astronomy. Be prepared to make a not insignificant commitment, because the course is nearly four months long! Time well spent in my opinion. Thank you to all who made this course possible.

By David B

Aug 13, 2017

I have taken 5 or 6 online courses through Coursera and this have proven to be the most interesting of the lot. I enjoyed the professor's delivery style and all the topics that were covered. I had little knowledge of Astronomy before taking the course and now feel I have a much better insight into outer space. Great job Professor Impey and those that assisted. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in gaining a broader knowledge in science. You do not need to have any previous knowledge of Astronomy to be successful in this course and to gain knowledge from this great course.

By David G J C B

Sep 6, 2020

I have nothing but positive thoughts for this course. Astronomy is a challenging topic and I went into the course with no major knowledge apart from what you can usually watch on TV or read on an occasional article, but the material is presented in a logical sequence and explained in clear ideas that help to grasp the topic. The Professor's delivery is excellent and very natural; as he is an absolute expert, he can explain complicated concepts in simpler terms.

This course is great for someone who has great curiosity for the field of astronomy and wants to take a little extra step into it.

By Aleksandar M

May 26, 2018

This course is a must for everyone interested in astronomy with very little to no prior knowledge. The instructor has huge experience in education and is clearly very familiar with the most common misconceptions people have. To me it was a fascinating journey from Earth, through our Solar system, to the most distant quasars. It also follows the Copernican revolution from the Heliocentric system, to Multiverse and Simulation theory.

Quizzes are not that hard, but there are some assignments to write. Some videos you might want to watch couple of times to fully understand them.

By Katherine K

Jul 26, 2020

I have an affection for space material and this astronomy course makes me fall in love with the realms beyond, all the more. The thought of many quizzes and essays did scare me initially, but it helps the student/learner to recap on the information presented. Professor Chris Impey is great at teaching/sharing and I would readily watch these again. Unfortunately the live Q&A (?) sessions are not suitable for my timing so I've not attended those before. I hope that more people will discover the wonder of the universe with this course and a greater appreciation for the stars.

By Vatsala S

Aug 17, 2020

An excellent course for astronomy enthusiasts or for people trying to learn something new, this course has excellent teaching material. Prof. Chris Impey clearly explains all most everything from the big bang to the future of our universe, the rich history of astronomy and the basics of quantum physics (only enough to understand the course material). Professor also adds a personal touch to the course and makes it more interesting by using pop culture references or showing videos. The only downside is that the quizzes are not very hard, either way I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Peter A B

Nov 30, 2020

I cannot believe how much I learned from this course. I was thinking it was going to more of a course about our planets and where they are located in the sky. I didn't even realize until after I signed up that it was 11 weeks long. Many other courses were 6 weeks. Firstly, professor Impey is by far the best professor I have ever listened to. He talked about stuff that was way over my head and made me understand it by the time he was done. The course material is very indepth at no time did I feel like it was too much for me to understand. Thank you for that. Excellent.

By Anwesh B

Nov 19, 2020

Thank you for this excellent course Dr. Chris Impey and team! I'm a budding research scientist in the intersection of Astronomy and Computer Science. I didn't have the opportunity to pursue a formal course in Astronomy due to a lack of credits at my Univeristy. Although this course isn't mathematically detailed, I've gained a sufficiently broad view of the field, and it is more than I could ask for. The material is excellent, intellectually challenging, and humourous on multiple occasions. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in Astronomy!

By HELEN P

Jul 16, 2019

Having just finished the course successfully, I would recommend it to anyone who loves astronomy. Coming from a different scientific field , but with a great love for astronomy, I feel that this course clarified a lot of meanings and introduced me to great concepts. And although English is not a native language, the course as well as all visualizations and material used, were very clear. Professor Impey is very well understood and does not use technical details that could confuse. Thanks Professor Impey and the Steward Observatory Teaching Team!

By Frank B

Aug 13, 2016

The astronomy course exceeded my expectations. I learned a great deal from the video lectures and the astrpoedia textbook. I was surprised that preparing for the essay questions was also a good source for added knowledge in researching for the assignments. I am indebted to Chris Impey for the excellent lectures and course. Everything was well presented and explained well but I could not get up to understand much of the last lesson – Life in the Universe.

In summary, great course and recommend it without reservations. Kudos and thanks to Chris Impey.