Back to Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space by University of Arizona

This course is designed for anyone who is interested in learning more about modern astronomy. We will help you get up to date on the most recent astronomical discoveries while also providing support at an introductory level for those who have no background in science....

CR

I was delighted to take this excellent course, the level of detail was perfect, the content very complete, Chris Impey was brilliant in the way he presented and commented on all the aspects covered.

UA
Jun 26, 2019

Amazing introductory course and covers wide variety of topics ranging from history, to astronomy to astrobiology. Really great of amateur astronomers and for anyone who is remotely interested in it.

101 - 125 of 858 Reviews for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

By Frank B

Aug 13, 2016

The astronomy course exceeded my expectations. I learned a great deal from the video lectures and the astrpoedia textbook. I was surprised that preparing for the essay questions was also a good source for added knowledge in researching for the assignments. I am indebted to Chris Impey for the excellent lectures and course. Everything was well presented and explained well but I could not get up to understand much of the last lesson – Life in the Universe.

In summary, great course and recommend it without reservations. Kudos and thanks to Chris Impey.

By Achini K

Aug 16, 2020

Night sky amazed me since I was a 5-year-old girl. Ever since I read and study anything related to astronomy whenever I get a chance. Even though I wanted to end up as an astronomer, I ended up as an IT professional. but you never know right? Some dreams never die! Anyway, This course is one of the best that I have come across and it was an honor to meet the brilliant professor Impey even through the course. Thank you so much for this amazing course professor and you are the best! I hope our paths will come across again through another course!

By Taylor M

Nov 24, 2020

Very good course. Professor is extremely knowledgable. The course went over extra detail then I expected to be covered, so I was pleasantly surprised with how much I was able to learn about our understanding of the universe. The course is very good for understanding a broad plethora of topics related to astronomy and astrophysics. The only change I might make is in making more clear how dated some of the research is the explains the course content. Many times, it was tough to tell if what was being taught was the most current knowledge or not.

By Tracy C

Sep 8, 2019

Brilliant course, really interesting. Professor Chris Impey has clearly put a great deal of thought and work into it and is a fantastic lecturer - very easy to listen to (which is important when you are feeling tired after a day at work!). The regular, live youtube sessions were an unexpected bonus and more than I would have ever expected for a course that was to all intents and purposes free. Thank you so much, not least for maintaining my interest through a busy summer and getting me to the end (many before have failed!).

By Anveshak S

Jun 2, 2020

Phew, 11 week time isn't short. It was challenging I won't lie. BUT at the end of the day throughout, there was satisfaction. This course is beautifully laid out giving you a truly mesmerizing journey but on top of all that was professor Impey's enthusiasm that made this material come to life. I thank him and his team who have been working all these years for online sessions and forums to give their learners a colourful experience throughout. AND I bet everyone taking this course that you'll be amazed.

Happy learning☺️

By Zahraa

Oct 31, 2020

Pf. Chris Impey is an amazing teacher who explains almost everything you ever wanted to know about astronomy and space in general. This course covered things beyond what I expected, from the scientific method to the possibility of aliens in space and everything in between. In addition to that, the professor himself takes some of his time to answer any questions you have through his one hour live sessions on youtube. I highly recommend taking this course if you are interested in all things space.

By Venkata V V K

Jul 6, 2020

Prof. Chris Impey has very well helped me in learning this course in fact I'm a curious astronomy aspirant. His teachings and explanations helped me to know very well in detail of the astronomy in each aspect and i personally thank my professor sir Chris Impey for helping me and completing this course with many newly developed skills your teachings helped me in developing my enthusiastic knowledge over astronomy more. And i further look into your live sessions. Thank you sir and to the team :-)

By Ignacio D L P

May 27, 2018

Great course, material is great and extensive. Recommended for people who have some interest but not a lot of knowledge in astronomy and would like to get a wide view of the field. One thing noting, although it doesn't take away from the overall experience, is that it is a bit outdated, as it was made in 2013-2014. It wouldn't take much to update the lecture slides letting students know the current state of things. Once again, it's not a big deal, and you should research online anyway. 5/5.

By Shivam S

Aug 29, 2020

Today I completed this amazing Astronomy course in 2 month. Initially I try to complete the course within 1 month but as the course going on my mind didn't ready to accept all the theories like string theory, 10th dimension, Brane, Drake, Big Bang drawback, expansion of universe at speed more than light, exoplanets like earth and many more.

During the study, headache occurr in mind, but I tried to learn all these.

Thankyou Coursera, Prof. Imphey & Christy Mam for this wonderful journey.

By GAURAV D D

Jul 19, 2020

Even though human life scale is negligible small as compared to our universe, our intelligence is what will cover the gap. And courses like these not only inspire us to research but also motivates us that we still have a long road to achieve greatness and this might not be achieved by fighting and talking on this pale blue dot. I am very much pleased by your content Prof. Chris . Hope you keep on making such content and our search for our better selves will continue beyond.

By Natasha J

Jun 14, 2019

This course is a perfect beginners guide to astronomy. It's simple enough to follow yet detailed enough to give you a real sense of the field. The video lectures and readings are interesting and well organised in week by week topics. The assignments are challenging without being too time consuming. Professor Impey holds live YouTube question and answer sessions almost monthly, giving you direct access to him.

I found this course engaging, satisfying and truly educational.

By Anshul V

Aug 16, 2020

This was a brilliant course to truly know about astronomy and to know about the secrets of space. The division of course into 11 weeks and these different categories provides a detailed approach to every topic included in the course. This course covers every topic related to astronomy. The photographic PDF files provided before every week is a very good thing to provide to a student as they change the point of view of the student to looks at the aspects of Sciences.

By Madalena W

Nov 22, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this astronomy course. Although I always had a profound interest in astronomy, I haven't had the time or the resources to amplify it until I came up with this online course in coursera. The themes explored were vast but all of them were studied in the most detailed view possible. I particularly enjoyed week 10 and 11, since were confronted back then with the most profound questions of our existence. I thank you all who made this possible !

By Udbhav S

Jun 30, 2020

This course was extremely interesting and informative, from the very first week till the very last. The insertion of relevant clips and images during video lectures, as well as the pace of course delivery was spot-on. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable and I learnt a lot about astronomy from the course. The difficulty was not high either, as very little prerequisite information was required in the course.

Highly recommended for all astronomy enthusiasts.

By MUTHU K R

Jun 8, 2020

It was an excellent course for full 11 weeks. Lot of information were fed to us continuously each week. I will definitely go through various articles and videos online. With basic knowledge on various fronts of astronomy, I will be able to comprehend as well as appreciate the difficulties astronomers go through each day. I have come to know what infinite space-time is.

Thank you Chris and your videos were amazing and the presentation could not have been better.

By Sathish V

Jul 29, 2019

Wonderful course and Prof. Impey was articulate in his explanation with the right level of details to explain various phenomena and principles that govern astrophysics, space and time. The online interactions were really useful in understanding several new facets on the frontiers of modern study and investigation. Thank you Prof Impey for putting together this wonderful course, it helped me understanding few concepts that I was keen to understand and learn.

By Christian J M C A

Aug 14, 2020

El Profesor Chris Impey es un educador extraordinario, cuya metodología y didáctica hacen que cualquier alumno pueda aprender y luego aplicar lo que se enseña. Es inspirador. Se preocupa por el aprendizaje no solo desde el día 1 del curso, mantiene comunicación con alumnos a través de sus sesiones en vivo en YouTube. Actualiza sus vídeos si se requiere y ejemplifica a todo nivel las teorías que pueden resultar complejas para quienes inician en Astronomía.

By Sheetal P

Jul 6, 2020

"Really" learning the fundamentals of Astronomy has been something I'd wanted to do for many years but had never really made the time nor found the right level of learning material to make it happen. Professor Impey's course was incredibly digestible and truly fascinating, broken up with large doses of interspersed humor to wash it all down. Thank you University of Arizona Astronomy Department for making this subject so accessible. I'm truly grateful.

By Xenia P

Jul 28, 2019

This course is very interesting and very informative! It is perfect for all people who would like to know more about the astronomy, but don't know where to start. This is a whole bunch of information all in all, but Chris Impey manages to teach so, that you don't feel overwhelmed, but only interested and hungry for more! There are also from time to time the opportunities to ask questions live. I highly recommend this course, it helped me a lot!

By Lauren P

Oct 1, 2015

I am in LOVE with this course. No, seriously. I can't stop talking about it. With EVERYONE I MEET. I have a degree in Chemistry, and teach Earth Science and Chemistry to high school students, so my knowledge about science for this course is up to par, but I like that it adds a LITTLE more info, and it's going to give me a chance to bring stuff back to my students. The text book is amazing, and the videos are on point. Thanks for a great class!

By Novikov D S

Jul 18, 2020

I haven't known absolutely nothing about this exciting theme, before I started this course, now I know everything, I've even changed my point of the world view. The material is on a high level, well prepeared and provided, every second is valuable. Thanks a lot, professor and the greatest astronomer, for your time and power that you gave to create this course, and for giving us this possibility to open a new amazing world of our universe!

By Siddharth S K

Sep 15, 2020

A great course to get started on learning astronomy, at our comfortable pace, at the comfort of our own private space and most importantly, this course is well structured and very interesting for all age groups. Wonderful Course. Learnt a lot of essential, non-technical astronomy. Enough to ignite curiosity to take up formal studies in the subject. Now I'm a second year Physics Master's student. Loving the head start this course gave me.

By Adith R K

I really loved this course. This was the course I was longing to pursue since chidhood. It gave me the answers to almost all of my questions. It provided me great insights to the UNIVERSE. Moreover the instructor Chris Impey has done a superb job in providing us with valuable information. The assignments, quizzes, lectures, and other resources were very informative and special. Thanks to all men behind this course for doing their best.

By Patrick W

Mar 6, 2017

Dr. Impey is skilled at covering a very broad range of topics and sciences that are all a part of "astronomy". The slides were clear. The transcripts helped to reinforce the information, although probably done with vocalization software as there are many sentence fragments, homonyms for the actual word, etc. I did not see a date done but I would guess this course was constructed in 2013-2014, so the information is certainly current.

By Elayine J

Jun 8, 2020

Professor Chris Impey is one of the best instructors I have come across in many of these courses. He is clear with his information, is very knowledgeable, and has a sense of humour. The mentors are very helpful too. Subject matter is exactly what is expected. A perfect course for the basic astronomer wanting to learn the basics of Astronomy. Including history, how to observe, and what is new. Love this course, would highly recommend.