Back to Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space by University of Arizona

This course is designed for anyone who is interested in learning more about modern astronomy. We will help you get up to date on the most recent astronomical discoveries while also providing support at an introductory level for those who have no background in science....

AM
Mar 12, 2021

I really enjoyed working through the modules of this course. The material was interesting and enlightening. The self-paced format worked well for me and I will look for similar courses going forward.

WB

Jun 20, 2021

Nice

By DHANUJ K

Apr 28, 2021

Good

By krishna M

Dec 19, 2020

Good

By Jhon m h

Aug 7, 2018

Jul 24, 2017

v

By Meir B

Sep 8, 2019

The course in general is very interesting and anyone who's even slightly intrigued by Astronomy and the universe we live in will find it very satisfying. The video lectures were great, and supplementary materials were in abundance.

However, some of the material was quiet hard to understand, especially for non-native English speakers like me. I'd improve the accompanying subtitles for the video lectures (some of them were actually misleading).

Some of the lectures included animations, simulations and external footages that really helped understanding some of the complexed materials - more of these would have been great (they were indeed missing sometimes).

Also, the later subjects were more interesting than the first ones, and though I understand the importance of understanding the basics before diving into the "deep water", I'd make the first classes more brief (history of astronomy, the scientific method), and extend the later subjects (astrobiology, distant galaxies, the Solar System planets and moons, etc.)

Overall, I had really great time, and I definetely recommend this course to anyone :)

By Alberto A F P

Dec 28, 2020

El curso es muy bueno en general pero adolece de información astronómica actualizada, falta que agreguen los últimos avances de esta ciencia de al menos 4 años para acá, cosa que en estos tiempos implica un gran atraso. Asimismo los videos que incluyen algunas clases de prof. Impey son muy malos, con baja definición y calidad.The course is very good in general but it lacks up-to-date astronomical information, it is necessary to add the latest advances in this science from at least 4 years to now, which in these times implies a great delay. Also the videos that include some classes of prof. Impey are very bad, with low definition and quality.

By Francesca D

Jan 16, 2018

This course covers all basic elements of astronomy and cosmology. The Professor is great and the lectures are very clear and effective. No math skills or previous knowledge of the topic is required.

An important limitation, however, is that much of the material is outdated. Some videos were recorded as far back as 2010! In the sciences everything changes fast, and a few years can make a big difference. I think the year the lectures were recorded should be indicated in the course’s info page, so that learners know this in advance.

The staff is great and the mentor always answers readily and kindly on forums.

By Bart V

Nov 5, 2015

The contents of the course are great and prof. Impey is a great communicator. The course is easy to follow, the final chapters on galaxies and cosmology are a bit more difficult but that is due to the nature of the subject and I applaud that the prof does not "dumb it down" or brushes over such difficult ans speculative subjects. I minor nuisance for me were the frequent songs and funny videos interspersed in the course content. It would have been better if they were separate from the main videos or otherwise could be easily skipped by people who don't have a lot of time. overall a great course!

By Nadia M R

Dec 9, 2020

While I did find the course very interesting and informational, I was under the impression that most of the information would be about up to date astronomy findings, but the professor often spoke of things that happened at least 7 years ago. He spoke of how exciting the mars curiosity rover landing would be and what information it might send back, but that happened in 2012, and since then the perseverance rover has been launched and Opportunity died. Apart from this I greatly enjoyed the course, and have been bombarding my parents with cool new astronomy facts I've learned.

By Arthur T R

Aug 23, 2018

The course is great, videos and material are excellent, professor and mentors are very helpful. The assignments grading scheme, therefore is a disaster. It is very frustrating to do an assignment and get bad grades from people who didn't had any effort to do it. They simply spam bad grades over the others, and when you see their submission is always plagiarized content from Wikipedia, Space.com, Forbes or any other website. Because of that I will not give 5 stars. It would be 5 if mentors or the professor evaluated the assignments.