Back to AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

Learner Reviews & Feedback for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery by The University of Edinburgh

"How do they know that?" Modern astronomy has made some astonishing discoveries - how stars burn and how black holes form; galaxies from the edge of the universe and killer rocks right next door; where the elements come from and how the expanding universe is accelerating. But how do we know all that? The truth is that astronomy would be impossible without technology, and every advance in astronomy is really an advance in technology. But the technology by itself is not enough. We have to apply it critically with a knowledge of physics to unlock the secrets of the Universe. Each week we will cover a different aspect of Astronomical technology, matching each piece of technology to a highlight science result. We will explain how the technology works, how it has allowed us to collect astronomical data, and, with some basic physics, how we interpret the data to make scientific discoveries. The class will consist of video lectures, weekly quizzes, and discussion forums. Each week there will be five videos, totalling approximately 40 minutes. They will be in a regular pattern - a short introduction, an example science story, an explanation of the key technology area, a look at how the technology is used in practice, and finally a look at what the future may hold....

EM

Jun 08, 2020

After completing the course, I was able to understand better some concepts in astronomy such as dark matter and dark energy as well as the technologies that helped uncover more truths in our universe.

BJ

Sep 23, 2020

The course was amazing especially when the instructor was explaining by using experiment instruments above all the way the instructors has taught me has completely made me understand the concepts.

1 - 25 of 216 Reviews for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

By Jonathan C

Sep 14, 2020

Thank you for the course. Thoroughly enjoyable and interesting. I realise the course only scratches the surface of the various core topics covered but it's whetted my appetite to go deeper!

By venkateswaran p

Jul 23, 2020

looking forward to an advanced course from the team.The course has motivated me to go deeper in to the science and technology of astronomy.The modules are designed and delivered superably

By ashwini v

Jul 10, 2017

Excellent Course!! Amazing Teachers!! You can learn a lot of fundamentals if you are new to the field.Highly recommended for people for starting who just getting into astronomy.

By Evanshu

Apr 27, 2018

This Course is phenominal and the mix of practicals shown with the consistency of thery makes it a remarkable product of gaining basics ofAstronomical knowledge

By Jeremy O

Oct 04, 2019

Very exciting course!! It's short but sweet. This experience has me seriously thinking about doing a deep dive into the spectrographic technology.

By Nikhil P

Dec 02, 2016

Provides new insights for Dark Energy and Dark Matter and also helps one understand the basic Physics as applied to Astronomy.Really nice course !

By Bruno A

May 04, 2020

I m Bruno from argentina, i m 15. This course was very interesting, although i don t understand some of the equations that Catherine explained because I didn t learn equations with such complexity at school yet, but I was able to understand the concept that interested me.

Very good.

By Mariya C

The course was really boring and unengaging

By Carlo

Jun 21, 2018

Great course!!! Very clear, very interesting! Just the right level of detail to be interesting to both people who know no physics and people who know a little more (high school physics). The different technologies are presented by showing how they can help us explaining a specific astronomical phenomenon. The integration is not seamless (there is some overlap / some physics points are spread across several weeks) but it's close enough. I would take another course by the same instructors without any hesitation. If you are interested in astronomy as a science (and not only as a body of knowledge) don't miss this course!

By Hyensoo C

Apr 14, 2020

Everything was great. I really like the instructor's British accent, and the topic this course covers.

I'm majoring Computer Science, and I always desired to contribute to Astronomy. It wasn't easy as I expected(quizzes especially), but this helped me to get a rough idea of Astronomy's current research field. Completing this course will be my first step for that.

Additionally, I loved the view of The University of Edinburgh!! This course was so great and classic that I'm considering to transfer to this University.

Great thanks to both of the brilliant instructors.

By Quentin V

Oct 15, 2020

This was my first Coursera learning experience. I did the course purely out of interest as I wanted to learn more about astronomy technology (having an interest in astrophotography). This was a great course to learn more about some of the techniques professional astronomers use to undertake scientific research. I really enjoyed it and learnt from it. The presenters came across as being really passionate and knowledgeable. Overall, an excellent online learning experience.

By Vinit k

Jul 02, 2020

I have always been interested in learning about space and its hidden secrets. This course helped me to understand how astronomers study our Universe using big telescopes. It was a great experience learning how astronomers use the latest technologies to collect and analyze the data from the big telescopes. Also, I learned how we find the distance, size, mass, and other properties like the redshift using the data from different sensors of the distant Universe.

By Lisa H

Jun 13, 2017

If you are searching for a course that can give you clear explanations and explain the functions of all the technological devices that allow scientists to pursue astrophysics fundamental research, this is absolutely the right choice for you:-) I enjoyed everything, and the quizzes after each unit was challenging enough to foster reasoning and deeper the learning path started with the lessons provided. Well done!

By Priyadarshini J S

Jan 06, 2017

Fantastic course for a beginner like me with no prior knowledge about Astronomy. Gives you loads of information about different elements of the universe with good details around how technology integrates with all the different elements to help us understand the overall picture better and be able to predict and past and future of our ever expanding universe. I am very glad I took this course.

By antonio b

Aug 04, 2019

Very good teaching style. Good integration of video snippet, resources, exercise. Quiz are medium difficulty, but good. Of course this course scratch the huge topic of modern astronomy: I am pretty sure that 3 to 4 courses like this might give a more that satisfactory overview of the current astronomy challenges. I will be more that willing to pay for getting an official grade on the topic.

By Felipe C

Apr 26, 2018

Congratulations to the instructors for putting together such a dynamic and informative course. Catherine and Andy are well prepared for the lessons and talk in a very clear manner - including examples and demonstrations whenever possible. I feel like now I know the answer to most of the stuff I used to ask when learning about astronomical discoveries; i.e. "how do they know that?"

By Richa M

I learn number of thing from this course. I got knowledge about astronomy and astrophysics. It also have explained abou detector and telescope. In this course I learn about dark matter and dark energy which is amazing concept about universe. And also It is mystery to explaine about full concept. Thank you thank you so much for this stage. I really love this course and coursera.

By Rashmi R K

Apr 05, 2020

This course was amazing. It gave a beautiful insight into the technology behind Astronomical studies. This course is very helpful for beginner astronomy students. I am extremely thankful to the instructors who came up with beautiful discussions. I really learned a lot of amazing things in a fun way. I enjoyed this course very much. Thank you.

By OMKAR S

Apr 23, 2020

It's an best starting knowledge package for those who are seen the beautiful Dream for working in the field of astronomy. As this course includes very basic and essential things to perform Astronomical Discovery hunt. Thanks Coursera and the mentors Mr. Andy Lawrence and Ms. Catherine Heymans in this course for plotting the same...

By Nor A M N

May 05, 2020

I am very happy to take this course. This course is great for anyone interested in astronomy, especially newcomers to know the technological advances used. I will always review this course to increase my knowledge. Thanks to all the speakers who are willing to teach this course online. Thanks again. With my warmest regards.

By Tina M A

Nov 24, 2019

If you wanna learn about science and technology for discovery astromical, this course its for you. On this six week's you will learn about science, telescopes, stars, black holes, galaxies, how we can see the most beautifulls images from the galaxies, dark energy and matter.

Join the course! Knowledge is never too much!

By Deep B

Jun 15, 2020

I recommend this course to all the budding astronomers who want to gain more knowledge in this field. The course is slow placed, which gives you plenty of time to do extra research on particular topics and the quizzes are just perfect, as it covers all the knowledge you gained in that weekly session.

By Burhani T S

Jun 29, 2020

The course is very informative, detailed and the presenters are funny too.

Though a physics graduate student would know basically 90% of the course, there are some misconceptions which can be cleared by this course. Being taught by experts in their fields is always fun and exciting. Thank you!

By Gustavo D A S

Oct 25, 2020

Excellent instructors, videos, teaching strategy.

I was looking for a course with this material for a long time and this one is my favorite between all of them. Congratulations to the University of Edinburgh, this course producers, instructors and all the team who made this course.

By VIGNESH.P

Apr 08, 2020

Loved this course a lot. Very interesting course and excellent teaching giving an overall idea and perspective of an astronomers real hardwork. Gained some knowledge of the technology behind astronomy and also the difficulties faced by astronomers. Looking forward to learn more.