Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG

Apr 21, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

DA

Aug 06, 2016

One of the best courses of statistics for the beginners. The concepts are well explained, the learning path well researched and above everything the R labs were ideal for the beginners.

201 - 225 of 747 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By varun k

Oct 01, 2019

Very engaging instructors, made the concepts stick. Excellently designed datacamp modules to help practice the concepts.

By Humberto C C

Feb 01, 2016

Magnific course, excellent professors, wonderful support material and presentations. Great leink woth DataCamp, love it

By Paulo A d A

Dec 23, 2018

Interesting enough, I first thought that I had grasped all concepts. But... I had to come back to review the material.

By Rahul M

Mar 12, 2016

Awesome Course for Beginners in Statistics as they clear examples for whatever they are teaching us. I love Coursera.

By Ian V

Aug 14, 2018

Very well taught, the lectures were nearly perfect. The R labs and quizzes had a few typos but nothing significant.

By Asim A

Feb 26, 2017

its very interesting course , its gave me insight about statistics which i did not have knowledge about it before .

By Shehjar k

Mar 18, 2016

Great explanation with real world examples! My basics of probability and inferential statistics are rock solid now!

By Rizzardig

Feb 16, 2016

Clear, simple but engaging.

The three lessons about R have been a fun.

I'm looking forward to start the next session.

By Wilson S J

Jun 19, 2016

It's an excellent course. All the content is simple and easy to follow.

Congratulations for such a great didactic.

By Taras H

Mar 01, 2016

Five stars without any doubts.

Useful and exciting learning experience, as for me.

Thanks to the Instructional Team!

By Krittaboon T

Apr 07, 2020

This is very useful course as it recaptures all statistical concepts I already forget. Now I feel more confident!

By Damian S

Apr 10, 2019

Perfect! You can learn a lot and get solid basics according to statistics. I can truly recommend you this course.

By Xiaoli H

Dec 16, 2018

very helpful. I reviewed a lot of basic concepts and ideas about statistics from this course. Highly recommended.

By Elita R

Dec 09, 2018

Excellent explanations by both professors and very interesting illustrations and examples! Thank you to the team.

By Muhammad A R

Jul 27, 2018

loved it. Wanted to go through basic statistics for research purposes, and this course has more than done the job

By Howard C

Jul 01, 2019

Recommend this course for beginners, the instructors make statistics fun and easy to grasp the concept! Like it!

By Alden M

Jan 17, 2019

Excellent explanation. A few minor mistakes in the tables but nothing that tips the scale. Great course overall.

By Martin J

Jul 20, 2017

This course is an excellent introduction (or for me a repetition) of the basics of statistics. Congrats to that.

By Utku K

Jan 17, 2017

Very good prepared, congratulations. The course helped me understand the basic notions very easily and with fun.

Jul 19, 2016

Excellent course, clear informative lectures using real life examples that make statistics easier to understand.

By Asif H

Aug 19, 2019

Excellent for building an understanding for stats. Greatly helped in while doing my Data Science Specialization

By Sai S H G

Apr 28, 2018

Really loved the video lectures! The lecturers were the best part and the assignments were challenging and fun!

By Francisco L

Mar 24, 2020

Very good and goes to the point in every video. I liked the explanations and examples. Pretty good professors.

By Debbie L

Jul 26, 2019

Great online course! The videos are very well made and easy to understand. Thank you for creating this course!

By Hardik S

Jun 02, 2017

Extremely useful for thorough fundamental understanding. Thank you so much for this well thought-about course!