Back to From the Big Bang to Dark Energy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for From the Big Bang to Dark Energy by The University of Tokyo

We have learned a lot recently about how the Universe evolved in 13.7 billion years since the Big Bang. More than 80% of matter in the Universe is mysterious Dark Matter, which made stars and galaxies to form. The newly discovered Higgs-boson became frozen into the Universe a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang and brought order to the Universe. Yet we still do not know how ordinary matter (atoms) survived against total annihilation by Anti-Matter. The expansion of the Universe started acceleration about 7 billion years ago and the Universe is being ripped apart. The culprit is Dark Energy, a mysterious energy multiplying in vacuum. I will present evidence behind these startling discoveries and discuss what we may learn in the near future. This course is offered in English....

AA

Apr 18, 2020

I really liked the method of teaching the professor follows.The course helped me to gain insights on the universe. I really liked and hopes that professor would do more online courses in the future.:)

DC

Dec 06, 2019

Professor Hitoshi Murayama is a great lecturer. His passion for the research conducted and explained in the lectures is evident and helped motivate me to complete the course. Absolutely brilliant man!

51 - 75 of 642 Reviews for From the Big Bang to Dark Energy

By Natalia M

Jun 27, 2018

I studied physics last time at high school, that is more than 15 years ago, and it wasn't even in English, but this course was so easy to follow and understand for someone like me. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to refresh their knowledge of the universe and learn about all the new (by the year of 2013) discoveries.

By Donna J L

Jan 11, 2016

A masterful presentation that is sweepingly universal of the current understanding of science and theory of physics. It is presented in a manner that is readily understandable for both the layman as well as professional. It is a great and engrossing presentation esp. for the novice to understand the nature of the universe.

By DEEPAK K

Feb 28, 2016

I am deeply satisfied with the course . It was my priviledge to study from the professor. Sir Hitoshi Murayama was amazing .

He lectures were wonderful.

Course contents were nicely organised .

I want to thank the professor and of course, Coursera team for providing long distance education to the ones who look for it.

By G . D

Jun 13, 2020

It is so amazing with you guys, special thanks to professor murayama....he maked this lecture so interesting that it's nothing feel like burden of course..... I'm so glad that I have done this course... and also 'space and universe' are always my favourite topic for studying.... thanks a lot for making this lecture...

By Chris D

Jun 18, 2020

The course was very interesting and informative. The length of the videos and content of the quizzes were appropriate. The instructor was clear, passionate, and had a good sense of humor. The extra lectures were a nice bonus to bring us up-to-date on advances that have occurred after the original course was recorded.

By Ray G

Jun 30, 2020

I would like to thank the team for presenting a really interesting and informative online course.

The presentation style and examples help me broaden my understanding of the big bang, dark energy and dark matter. I can recommend this course to anyone who is looking to gain a greater understanding on the universe.

By Akash K

Apr 14, 2018

Love the style of the teaching and the approach for newcomers who want to get into the field or discipline of the hard sciences without wanting that much math at first. Love it! I would love to see a bit more math however, I understand the approach 100% and appreciate it since it gets newer people into the study.

By Rayyan K

Feb 17, 2019

I really liked the course as an amateur and space enthusiast, this course provides a detailed at the same time not very technical insights to the formation of the universe.

Professor Murayama is indeed very knowledgeable provided a wonderfully simple to understand description of the matter throughout the course.

By hamid m

Jan 16, 2019

i'm wondering where i miscalculated that matter density is 1/r^3 is less than photon density 1/r^2. but the answer choice is matter density > photon density. is there a typo in the answer book ? there isn't anywhere in the course to leave a comment or question, so here is the only place. hmazuji@gmail.com

By Alla D

Jan 31, 2016

Dear Professor Murayama!

Thank you for the amazing course—simple to perceive, short, and yet filled with lots of interesting information!

As a person with very little background in this area, I started to understand much more about our wonderful world—with the help of your lectures.

Best wishes and regards,

Alla

By Arasakumaran K

May 08, 2020

Though I am a beginner, at the end of the course, I feel that I know some basics of the universe. The course journey is very smooth and the manner in which complicated hypothesis were introduced is laudable. Its really a great opportunity to participate in this course. I am really thankful to this platform.

By Athanasios M

Mar 20, 2016

A great course from a Great Professor.I really enjoyed this course and i am kinda sad that is over.It was even irrelevant to my field of study ,but professor Murayama made it so easy to understand like i have been studying this subject my entire life.I highly recommend it to everyone!! Thank you so much !

By Raniero F

Jul 16, 2020

My sincere compliments Prof. Murayama.

I had not yet found someone capable of explaining often complicated concepts in such a simple way.

I hope I will have the opportunity and the honor to shake your hand one day.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Kindest regards

raniero

oreinar[at]yahoo[dot]it

By Miriam P S

May 29, 2017

The course is on a very complex and difficult subject, yet professor Itoshi uses very good examples to relate the material to daily life making comprehension more accessible.

It is on the cutting edge of discoveries and knowledge on the subject, so it brings you to the front line of the big picture.

By Egor P

Jan 08, 2017

Для того чтобы мочь объективно мыслить нужно понимать мир вокруг себя. Его устройство. Курс дает понимание происхождения вселенной благодаря самым последним знаниям в науке. Что такое темная материя, бозон Хиггса , антиматерия, реликтовое излучение и прочие понятия сделавшие нас с вами реальностью.

By Meha D

Jun 08, 2020

It was really an amazing experience. Learnt a lot from this course. My interest in astronomy has increased exponentially. This course was fascinating, and professor was quite knowledgeable and everyone interested in space, astronomy or the physics behind the universe, MUST take this course. Kudos.

By Muhammad S N

Apr 20, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and definitely have a dream to pursue a career in cosmology or astrophysics or even particle physics in this regard. Professor Muryama explained the complex problems of the physics domain in a way, a person without high level of academics in physics would understand.

By SIRIPURAM S B

Jun 04, 2020

Such an amazing course. Professor made all the lectures interesting with his presentation skills and lecture content. Even a normal person with a basic knowledge of general science can understand the course. Thanks for teaching me about my ancestors and what happens to my further generations :)

By Pisavadia P A

Jun 19, 2020

It was an amazing experience to delve into the past From Big bang to till today.

Everything were made simple to understand. But at some points it was a bit harder to catch up but its how hard it is to go in depth without the basics yet Prof. Hitoshi Murayama made it simple to understand.

By Francis S

Jul 07, 2019

Very impressive, gave a insight into an area of physics I originally wasn’t interested in but now want to study further. I enjoyed the lectures and the questions were also a nice challenge. Overall I strongly recommend this course if you enjoy Physics and are curious about our universe!

By Eugenio R E

Apr 11, 2020

Great introductory course !! Thanks a lot for sharing and explaining all the progress that there has been, and the even greater unknowns and challanges still ahead, so as to continue to unravel the great misteries of this beatiful and huuuuge Universe..... Congratulations once more !!

By Valerio R

Jan 03, 2019

The perfect course for a overall introduction to the astronomy and astro-physics. It's simple for student with a technical / maths background and very interesting. At the end of the course, I know a lot more about the past and the future of our universe (and a lot of other things)

By fabio a

Oct 15, 2017

The course is really excellent as an introduction to modern cosmological theories. All the concepts are presented in a clear way. Prof. Murayama is really a gret ommuincator and I learned many interesting things. I warmly recommend this course to anyone is a physics enthusiast.

By Liz C

Thank you Professor Murayama, I found this a really useful introduction to lots of concepts that I'd heard of but never properly understood. I have no science background, never mind physics, but found the lectures and tests a good balance between accessibility and challenge.