Back to From the Big Bang to Dark Energy

From the Big Bang to Dark Energy, The University of Tokyo

About this Course

We have learned a lot recently about how the Universe evolved in 13.7 billion years since the Big Bang. More than 80% of matter in the Universe is mysterious Dark Matter, which made stars and galaxies to form. The newly discovered Higgs-boson became frozen into the Universe a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang and brought order to the Universe. Yet we still do not know how ordinary matter (atoms) survived against total annihilation by Anti-Matter. The expansion of the Universe started acceleration about 7 billion years ago and the Universe is being ripped apart. The culprit is Dark Energy, a mysterious energy multiplying in vacuum. I will present evidence behind these startling discoveries and discuss what we may learn in the near future. This course is offered in English....

By VV

Mar 15, 2017

I loved this course... It made me realise how small we are yet how big!!! It helped me understand various aspects of universe and also about quantum physics...\n\nThank you so much for the course..

By GV

Jan 07, 2018

This was an incredible experience.thanx to u i came to know about our existance in the univerce, how we have formed and what going to happen in the future .knowing all these info was fun..........

361 Reviews

By hamid mazuji

Jan 16, 2019

i'm wondering where i miscalculated that matter density is 1/r^3 is less than photon density 1/r^2. but the answer choice is matter density > photon density. is there a typo in the answer book ? there isn't anywhere in the course to leave a comment or question, so here is the only place. hmazuji@gmail.com

By Karthick A

Jan 14, 2019

probably the best course I ever done

By Claudio Anfuso

Jan 05, 2019

One of the best course i've ever had. Many thanks.

By Valerio Rossi

Jan 03, 2019

The perfect course for a overall introduction to the astronomy and astro-physics. It's simple for student with a technical / maths background and very interesting. At the end of the course, I know a lot more about the past and the future of our universe (and a lot of other things)

By Joydeep Sarkar

Dec 25, 2018

Really very much like classroom content. The lectures and the quizzes are highly standard.

By Sarang Bhasme

Dec 23, 2018

It was a great experience to me as I am newbie in the field of Astronomy. Professor Murayama taught in very easy language and with very general examples. I am grateful to the Professor Murayama and the Coursera team.

By Abdul Jameel

Dec 21, 2018

This course help me a lot in the knowledge of Big Bang.

By Prajot sardar

Dec 19, 2018

you may also give subtitle in hindi

By Aurangazeeb A K

Dec 19, 2018

I was very much interesting to know about the story of universe and I found this course. It turned out to be a completely satisfying and intriguing experience. Hoping to see more courses like these from Prof. Murayama in the near future !

By Brett Walker

Dec 06, 2018

Good mix of descriptive and mathematical explanations.