Back to From the Big Bang to Dark Energy

From the Big Bang to Dark Energy, The University of Tokyo

About this Course

We have learned a lot recently about how the Universe evolved in 13.7 billion years since the Big Bang. More than 80% of matter in the Universe is mysterious Dark Matter, which made stars and galaxies to form. The newly discovered Higgs-boson became frozen into the Universe a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang and brought order to the Universe. Yet we still do not know how ordinary matter (atoms) survived against total annihilation by Anti-Matter. The expansion of the Universe started acceleration about 7 billion years ago and the Universe is being ripped apart. The culprit is Dark Energy, a mysterious energy multiplying in vacuum. I will present evidence behind these startling discoveries and discuss what we may learn in the near future. This course is offered in English....

By VV

Mar 15, 2017

I loved this course... It made me realise how small we are yet how big!!! It helped me understand various aspects of universe and also about quantum physics...\n\nThank you so much for the course..

By GV

Jan 07, 2018

This was an incredible experience.thanx to u i came to know about our existance in the univerce, how we have formed and what going to happen in the future .knowing all these info was fun..........

373 Reviews

By Adith Philip Mathew

Mar 18, 2019

Good course. Although needs a little harder level of quizzes to stimulate the mind. Definite recommend.

By Hatish Gudivada

Mar 14, 2019

I really love this course. This helped me to understand the basic concepts of Universe.

By Ed Adams

Mar 11, 2019

I graduated with a degree in Physics in 1971 and never used it. Now that I'm retired I am fascinated by the discoveries in the last 50 years. I found this series to be wonderfully presented with lots of thoughtful questions and information.

By Anuj Garg

Mar 06, 2019

Professor Hitoshi really did a nice work. I will recommend this course to all of the people who are interested in science. I like how beautifully he starts from basic and goes to the advance thing make a clean path.

Thanks Professor Hitoshi for your work.

By nevelin yosifov ivanov

Mar 06, 2019

Depende como se lo toma uno ,se puede aprender mucho o muchisimo a lo largo del curso.Exselente, es una gran experiencia en el mar de la ciencia.

By yuuko yashi

Feb 28, 2019

Thank You Hitoshi Murayama, Your lectures and problems are very fun, very easy to understand. I really enjoyed the course. I took this course in 2013, thank you additional lectures.

By Ayron Dalzell

Feb 27, 2019

The optional bonus problems are quite confusing. I understand they are supposed to be challenging, but a little more explanation would be nice. I plan on continuing to attempt these problems, even though the course is finished.

By Mahmoud Mohamed Mahmoud El-said

Feb 18, 2019

great course for an beginner in the field of Astronomy.

By Mohammedsaqib khan

Feb 17, 2019

I really liked the course as an amateur and space enthusiast, this course provides a detailed at the same time not very technical insights to the formation of the universe.

Professor Murayama is indeed very knowledgeable provided a wonderfully simple to understand description of the matter throughout the course.

By Shivam Kashyap

Feb 17, 2019

I have taken lots of online courses. But this is the best course I have taken in my life. Professor Murayama discussed the most complex topics of astrophysics in a very simple way so that everyone can understand. After taking this course I have decided to make a research career in the fascinating world of Cosmology. Thank you Coursera and thank you Professor Hitoshi Murayama for this course.