Back to Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners by University of California San Diego

4.4

Are you interested in learning how to program (in Python) within a scientific setting? This course will cover algorithms for solving various biological problems along with a handful of programming challenges helping you implement these algorithms in Python. It offers a gently-paced introduction to our Bioinformatics Specialization (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/bioinformatics), preparing learners to take the first course in the Specialization, "Finding Hidden Messages in DNA" (https://www.coursera.org/learn/dna-analysis). Each of the four weeks in the course will consist of two required components. First, an interactive textbook provides Python programming challenges that arise from real biological problems. If you haven't programmed in Python before, not to worry! We provide "Just-in-Time" exercises from the Codecademy Python track (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python). And each page in our interactive textbook has its own discussion forum, where you can interact with other learners. Second, each week will culminate in a summary quiz. Lecture videos are also provided that accompany the material, but these videos are optional....

DL

Apr 18, 2016

I give this course 5 star because I did Bioinformatics I and I totally enjoy it.\n\nThis is where programming can be fun, and practical, and you'll learn some basic biology too.\n\nWhat's not to love?

HL

Aug 16, 2017

I learned a lot from this difficult and time-consuming course! It covers biological concepts using Python. It made learning Python more interesting for me, since I have always loved biology.

176 - 200 of 283 Reviews for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

By Kie V I S

Jul 03, 2017

Overall it was a good experience. I had so much fun learning the connection between molecular biology and programming. The programming assignment was okay but the theory of molecular biology was still out of reach for me. We had to use a third party application (stepik), which is good.

By Sarvanshi s

Apr 21, 2020

Course is well defined and stepik tool is very good and useful. But sometimes it becomes a bit confusing to understand and there is no option to find the fault in code or correct answer. After a particular number of efforts, there must be option for correct solution.

By Jonathan N

Jan 14, 2018

Very interesting course, but its estimated time is about 17 h 20min. I took about 53h and am an absolute beginner in this, so this took a lot longer than I thought it would. I think the estimated time should be revised up to take programming beginners into account.

By Michael G

Oct 13, 2017

The Stepik textbook needs to be updated. The quantity of test cases and the quality leave a lot to be determined. The format of input on the quizzes needs to be specified more clearly. Otherwise a great course but I would not market it towards beginners.

By Stuart W

Jun 14, 2020

I enjoyed this course a lot. It was very challenging. I am an experienced Python programmer so the programming side was pretty straightforward however the exercises took a lot of determination to complete. I can definetely say that I learnt something.

By Ziliang L

Jul 13, 2018

overall, it's a good course. But it has many places to improve. It's better if you have the biological and programming background, or you gonna struggle. And some tricky and sometimes misleading parts can cost you a long time.

By Srinidi V

Its a really interesting course.. Being from a computer and math background with interest in biology, this was a great inspiration. The tool helped me work and understand a lot. Its surely good for a beginner!

By Nielay S

Apr 19, 2020

It was a very informative course!! but some technical and biological terms were hard to understand. It would've been much better if more detailed explanation was provided regarding the coding and the terms.

By Veronica Y

Apr 09, 2020

It was challenging, but I learned a lot of tricks while coding. It will be useful if you teach how to install Python (Anaconda Spyder or Jupiter)

It took me more than 4 hours to complete all the tasks

By Ivan L

Mar 22, 2018

A good course that gives an introduction to bioinformatics by applying programming in python. Overall, some of the challenges became difficult towards the end, but I definitely learned something.

By Jane D

Jan 26, 2018

It was a challenging course but the support was good for the most part. There were some that I struggled a lot with and had to ask external help, but as a whole, the community was super helpful.

By Elias S

Aug 26, 2019

Had a lot of fun doing this =)

Despite the fact that the images in the stepik.parts havnt been loaded at some times and the quizes kept annoying, when my computed answer should´ve been wrong :/

By Laura L

Jan 31, 2017

Really liked the course and love the topic, however the algorithms section was very difficult and could use some more in depth explaining. Without that, I would not quantify it as "beginner".

By Marek B

May 18, 2017

It's quite hard to complete this course without any knowledge of Python. I don't recommend it as introduction to programming. BUT as a course about bioinformatics it's great!

By Patrick V E

Jun 06, 2020

In general a very good course. The problem is actually more that one is doing the programming too "mechanistically" by copy-pasting rather than having to think for one-self.

By Ioanna B

Aug 04, 2020

Although a very good course, material and interesting topic, it can be quite challenging for a beginner. Nevertheless very happy and satisfied to have done and completed it!

By MacKenzie K

Aug 09, 2017

You definitely need to complete the codecademy lessons or at least have Python experience before the end of week one for this course. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the course.

By sleimi w

well I'm a biologist & this is my first time learning python .. I 've loved this course even though it becomes kinda difficult after week 2 but I've learned a lot from it

By Igor K

Aug 16, 2016

A good introduction to computational aspects of bioinformatics. However, the pace of the course might seem too low if you have a strong computer science background.

By Nelson H C B

Jun 29, 2020

It is a great course. But stepik platform needs to be edited. There are some chapters with hard problems and typos, but if you work hard, you will learn a lot.

By Greg T

Oct 28, 2019

A stimulating and engaging survey of elementary bioinformatics algorithms (searching and pattern matching) with the added bonus of practice with Python.

By Kyle B

Jun 05, 2020

Difficult for beginners inexperienced in coding but so rewarding and extremely interesting! Awesome introduction into the field of bioinformatics

By Abdullah D S

Jun 05, 2018

The course is alright. I learned a great deal from the challenges in the Stepik modules. The only issue is that the material is pretty dry.

By Rohan S

Jul 24, 2017

Excellent course to learn Python programming and great way to learn very interesting topics in biology and be introduced to bioinformatics.

By chendonghp

Sep 06, 2017

Novel knowledge and require some python base.More useful for leaners if printable handout with summarized information provided .