Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK

Jul 31, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.\n\ni thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB

Jul 27, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

1 - 25 of 182 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By Remus-Andrei P

Dec 10, 2018

Suitable for people aged 18 to 24 who want to learn about black holes (at an introductory level).

Suitable for first year University students who took courses in Mathematics, Physics or Astronomy.

Suitable for amateur astronomers who want to gain knowledge about black holes and the life cycles of stars.

The lectures are enthusiastic and the course format is easy to follow.

By Charles R B

Nov 12, 2018

Almost perfect. 1 lecturer absolutely natural delivery, main lecturer ok, 2 lecturers need more rehearsal, but not everyone is smooth in front of a camera. Course could stand to have a little better constructed quiz questions, add more than just multiple guess, and could stand to have an exam at the end. Course has the right amount of maths, as "Physics" is not in it's title. Concepts are well presented and illustrated. Nicely done! P.S. JJDrek is NOT Star Trek.

By Shea M

Nov 11, 2019

Great course and pitched at a good intermediate level. I did this course in combination with the "Astronomy: Exploring Space and Time" course and they complimented each other very well. The animations kept it interesting and I feel like I have a good grasp on this subject now. The tutors were enjoyable to watch and people were helpful in the forums.

An improvement this course could make is the addition of writing assignments to help cement the knowledge learned. Thank you!

By Antonia T B

Oct 10, 2018

One of the best courses on Coursera about Astronomy. Super exciting! Great lectures, amazing science about the mysterious and fascinating black holes and not too impossible quizzes (unlike other Astronomy courses here in Coursera that have impossible quizzes). A fascinating journey into the most fearful spots of the Universe. Thanks a lot. Many greetings from Spain / Antonia

By Kieran S

Aug 15, 2020

Incredibly interesting course provided by excellent and enthusiastic lecturers. The course itself was challenging at times but the information was easy to take in and retain with amazing support from the staff.

the course was easy to pick up from the start with in depth lessons and reference material ranging from the basics of astrophysics to the more complex side.

By Cathy Y

Jun 06, 2020

VERY well done course. I have taken many Astro MOOC'S than have dealt in some way with black holes, so some of the information was for me a review. This class had lots of new material to offer even for those of us familiar with the basics of black holes.

Not overly mathematical, though there was sufficient use of formulas so as to accurately explain the material in a concise way. Would have liked to see more math as part of the weekly assessments.

Very much enjoyed the mix of presenters. Each had a unique style and was clear in presenting their sections of the course. THANKS to University of Alberta for putting on this excellent course. Well worth the time and effort to study and complete.

By Anushka M

Oct 03, 2020

I would personally recommend this course to anyone who has a lot of interest in Black Holes and Stellar Astronomy. These fields intrigue me and I didn't know where and how to start from. This course provided me with an excellent start, beginning from the very scratch and then reaching some higher levels. I shall always keep with me, the drive and directed motivation that this course brought to me. Moreover, all the instructors are extremely good at explaining difficult concepts in a simplified, easy- to- digest way. Thank you for your efforts towards building this course. I look forward to have more astronomy courses from University of Alberta.

By Fu-Cheng C

Jun 01, 2020

Amazing course for astronomy enthusiasts! Lectures are well-presented with visual effects and demonstrations. After completing this course I became so much more interested in physics and astronomy.

By sourabh k

Jul 31, 2020

By Yash V G

Jul 24, 2020

Its been quite an illuminating ride, could have done with more data-driven mathematics but nevertheless, a highly recommendable introductory course for further cultivating curiosities.

By Jason C

Jun 23, 2020

Astro 101 Black Holes, was the first coursera lesson I took. I loved it.

I'm hooked and already signed up for my next course.

I purchased my certificate and will display it proudly.

By Tayren N B

Aug 07, 2019

I enjoyed the course. It covered all the areas necessary to understand black holes and the physics behind these mysterious phenomena. It was enjoyable and entertaining as well.

By Muhammad E G

Apr 28, 2019

its the Best ever Course and i learned a lot things about which i have not heard before i will strongly recommend this to people who want to know about black holes.

By Sakthi A

Very clear explanation both visually and orally. Best course to explore BLACK HOLES.

By Ibrahim m H

Feb 12, 2020

very nicely explained and very informative.

i am currently 14 and compleated this course .

just some times it goes over my head.

By AMARESH K

Oct 27, 2018

At the outset I sincerely thank Dr Sharon Morsink, Dr Jeanette Gladstone, Curtis Brown, Dr Ross Lockwood and Mr Stephen Lane for their excellent lectures and videos. All of you have guided me wonderfully to understand and pass the course on Black Holes. I am a retired Senior Manager in a Bank and am presently staying in the city of Visakhapatnam, India. Though my line of job is different, I have been very curious and highly interested to learn about the space, stars and Astronomy which is a very vast subject.

All your lectures are highly useful. I am planning to go through all the 10 modules of the course again and again to be thorough and not to have any doubt. I wonder if I can have access to the material even after receiving the Certificate. Due to some technical problem in my Laptap, I could not download any of your video lessons but I could only copy the printed lessons. Hence I am requesting to have access to any of your video lessons of this course.

I will be thankful if you can inform whether the Certificate will be sent by Airmail or to my email and if so how much time it may take.

I thank all my teachers and experts once again.

With regards,

AMARESH K

By sarfraz k

Jun 08, 2020

Hello everybody! A big thank you to all 4 wonderful lecturers who taught me so much about black holes. I've learnt a colossal amount ! I really liked the lecture materials and illustrations. Difficult concepts were explained very well- clearly and concisely and in entertaining ways. I'm pleased to say that I answered all the questions correctly on my 1st attempt and got a whopping 100%! Did not make a single mistake when submitting my answers. Perhaps there should be a few more numerical questions? Maybe write a bit more about the physics of neutron stars?

The downside is that some of the videos were not very audible even on maximum volume. There is a 20 minute lecture-I think week 10- which was hardly audible on my laptop. Over all I think this course is exciting and pretty difficult. If I lived in Canada, I sure would like to study at the University of Alberta.

Regards, Sarfraz

By Yashpal K

Oct 01, 2020

This is an outstanding course. Now after knowing more about our stars and galaxy and black holes, when I look up in the night sky, I think about the process that might be going on in the star's core whose light might be reaching my eyes after A thousand years or might be million years or that star might be in a binary system with other star or lurking around a Stellar Mass Black hole.

With this course I explore more about the power of the universe and how massive or lighter A star or Black Hole could be.

Instructions given by the professors in this course is really amazing, They have explained this course in easiest way possible, which helped me understand the basic of Black Holes, Stars and much more.

Highly recommend this course for Astronomy Lovers.

By PRITAM D

Jul 07, 2020

I am a postgraduate student pursuing masters in Physics. I really enjoyed this course and it also refreshed the old and basic concepts to me. Lately, I had lost my passion towards the subject but completing this course has reignited my passion towards astrophysics. If the University of Alberta is reading this I would really like to hear back from you and I would like to know about how to pursue a research/PhD n astrophysics. If given the chance, I would also like to work with your amazing staff. Thank you so much. This was an amazing journey.

By Juan V

Feb 10, 2019

Un excelente curso. Un curso muy actualizado con recientes descubrimientos, pero que explica muy bien los principios físicos involucrados con la formación y desarrollo de los agujeros negros. Una excelente combinación de exposiciones de 4 excelentes profesores que exponen muy bien los principios. Un curso que trasmite lo que conocemos pero también lo que desconocemos de los agujeros negros, explica muy bien como los científicos desarrollan teorías y las pruebas por medio de la observación rigurosa. Felicitaciones.

By John K H

Nov 13, 2018

Learned a lot about black holes which weren't even mentioned in my astronomy books when I first started being interested in astronomy when I was a boy as my dad (a former RAF navigator taught me to find my way round the sky) Interestingly enough the clip of the train demonstrating the Doppler effect was shot at Brandon - one of his "targets" during his training a Rivers Manitoba in 1942!

A great course which really stimulated the old grey cells and as far as I can say to be highly recommended!

John H

By Camilo J S E

Sep 14, 2020

Very interesting course. As I started working as an electrical engineer in an observatory developing the front end stage for a receiver for radio astronomy, I started to have many questions about the nature of the observations that are studied in the facility. This course helped me to have many of the answers I was looking for and explained the objectives of the international collaborations between other observatories I've read in many documents. Thank you for such a rich course.

By Anastasiia G

Dec 15, 2019

This course is exceptional and was so much more than I expected.

The depth to which we go on the subject, the wealth of material, the presentation, the fun, the extremely likable and amazing teachers - all make this course an incredible experience.

In all fairness, the course is too low-priced for its value, as so much thought, effort and time went into creating it.

University of Alberta really does create absolute best courses. Highly recommend this and other courses by UofA.

By Niyathi Y

Mar 03, 2019

I am 14 years old. This course is the bestttt!! I love how the teachers discuss the fundamentals and the basic concepts of the course before they dive into the topic. Right now I am totally loving this course. I recommend this course to anyone who is interested in astronomy and astrophysics. You don’t even need to have a lot of pre requisite knowledge for this. You can directly start it. The professors are really good at explaining the concept. This. Course. Is. Amazing.

By Gary S

May 08, 2019

Course covers all the bases, both from the very basic notions, with suitable introductory material on things like how one determines the composition of a star from spectra, to the physics that allows one to understand the recent image of a black hole(without this course one might think photographing a black hole to be impossible.We now understand the time dilation effects of approaching a black hole and how one can do so safely.

Fascinating stuff