Back to Blockchain Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Blockchain Basics by University at Buffalo

This first course of the Blockchain specialization provides a broad overview of the essential concepts of blockchain technology – by initially exploring the Bitcoin protocol followed by the Ethereum protocol – to lay the foundation necessary for developing applications and programming. You will be equipped with the knowledge needed to create nodes on your personal Ethereum blockchain, create accounts, unlock accounts, mine, transact, transfer Ethers, and check balances. You will learn about the decentralized peer-to-peer network, an immutable distributed ledger and the trust model that defines a blockchain. This course enables you to explain basic components of a blockchain (transaction, block, block header, and the chain) its operations (verification, validation, and consensus model) underlying algorithms, and essentials of trust (hard fork and soft fork). Content includes the hashing and cryptography foundations indispensable to blockchain programming, which is the focus of two subsequent specialization courses, Smart Contracts and Decentralized Applications (Dapps). You will work on a virtual machine image, specifically created for this course, to build an Ethereum test chain and operate on the chain. This hands-on activity will help you understand the workings of a blockchain, its transactions, blocks and mining. Main concepts are delivered through videos, demos and hands-on exercises....

TT
Nov 18, 2018

This is an introductory course to Blockchain. The supplemented material (in other words self-study) is excellent and in my opinion is the only way to master the concepts and details of this discipline

LM
Jul 29, 2019

Comprehensive and clear course that summarize the basic concepts to understand the blockchain technology. Also the resources and contents included are very valuables. I totally recommend this course.

1251 - 1275 of 1,292 Reviews for Blockchain Basics

By Mayank M

Apr 23, 2020

nice course for beginner

By Nam H

Jun 18, 2018

Ok, it's a good overview

By Md. F M

Feb 11, 2021

Basics only

By Joerg F

Mar 2, 2021

After terminating another Coursera course (Applied Machine Learning in Python) which I found too difficult to be considered a medium difficult course, I found this one too easy.

Also, I didn't like the mixture between very short videos with a - sorry - strange tutor that most of the time didn't look at you (because of the camera angle, I found this very disturbing) and a whole bunch of reading material where a lot of the links didn't work anymore. It gave me the impression, that this course has been compiled without putting very much effort into it and there is no regular checking whether the linked material is still available.

The tests were a joke, they often just had 3 or 4 questions.

Then - in the final "programming exercise" you had to install a virtual box in the commercial software VirtualBox. VirtualBox as a prerequisite to successfully complete this course was never mentioned in any of the previous sessions. Luckily I already had a working VirtualBox installation on my private PC. (On my company PC, the admins would never install VirtualBox due to security reasons.) It would have been very frustrating if I had found out in week 4 that I was not able to complete the course. At least the environment in that "Ethereum" virtual machine was working fine and was very convinient to use.

By Khalid A A

Jun 20, 2020

This is a good attempt of an online course. There were lots of broken links on the reading information. In addition, I saw many questions that are not answered by the course moderators. Furthermore, the last part of the course which was the final assignment was methodical in the first part but after that, the information was not provided on what to do next, so I had to relay on my background information to finish the assignment, which is not the correct methodology in my opinion for a fair evaluation. Minor improvement is required in my opinion. Thank you for the information and good luck.

By matteo b

May 3, 2021

Lessons take 10 minutes only and students have to ready everything by them self. Video lessons are not enough to give a good understand of the topic (they shouldI

99% of the time is spent reading documentation and paper (no written by Professor). Time to read documentation is under estimated. Usually a course helps to speed-up the learning process. That's not the case of this course.

The list of documentation is enough, in this case Professor support (lessons) is useless.

By Akshat A

Mar 6, 2021

The. study material is good, but that's about it. Several links in in the course and quizzes are dead. The final assignment is a nightmare to set up and run (I'm using a 2.6GHz i7,16GB macOS), but is a piece of cake to actually get graded. I think if as an alternate to setting up the whole VM etc we could also get the code repo to actually run and tinker with on our own, I'd give it another 2 stars.

By Mohammad S A

Apr 27, 2020

Although I respect the lecturer and the effort they have made to make this a useful course but compared to many other courses on Coursera, I don't think this is a good course. The teaching material is not well-organized. The teaching method is not smooth and fluent. The accent of speeches is a bit Indian and the speaking intonations are awful. It's like she is reading from a PowerPoint presentation.

By Shahar K

Jul 25, 2019

all this "Module Objective" and "summary" on each session is very old fashioned, specially as many of the goals are "Be able to discuss...". while next to the goal follows just elaboration of some specs...

I think the course is ok if you want a glimpse about the field and get familiar with the technical vocabulary, but for really learning I would advice looking elsewhere.

By Harsh S

May 3, 2020

The video lectures in this course are too short and laconic. Most of the things are provided as reading material of other blogs and articles already available. There is barely any point of doing this course. Just read online articles and you'll know everything in this course!!

By Pablo O O B

Aug 25, 2020

I'm sorry, but I need to be honest. The course does not meet my expectations. The subject is complex and the course does not provide a clear and easy intro to the subject. I was able to finish it because I had some previous knowledge on the subject.

By Alexandru B

Oct 9, 2020

More than half of the reading links are dead, the assignment is throwing an error that many people are getting and nobody seems to be answering the forum. It's a dead course imo, I regret starting it, I should've searched for a newer one

By Yousif A

Mar 18, 2021

The quizzes are somewhat weak, and some questions have weird wording. Overall, it's an okay intro I guess. I didn't like the corpro-training style videos and staging backgrounds.

By Ananthu M P

Jul 17, 2020

overall experience was not that good. should improve the teaching methods. The contents are precise but the method of teaching is boring

By Khandaker M R

This is a very high-level overview of Blockchain. If you are interest in learning codes related to blockchain, you can skip this course.

By Piyush F

Jun 8, 2020

only get to know about the theory, this course does not contain any content to get a knowledge of how to implement the block chain

By Prakhar G

May 14, 2020

Good for learning about the Blockchain basics, but were being constantly evaluated on things never thought.

By Leo H

Jan 9, 2021

Outdated material,

couldnt get the vm to work on my ubuntu 18.04.

No programming exercises anywhere.

By Sacsham A

Oct 9, 2019

if more explanation of the reading material would be given, must have been more helpful

By Sara M B P

Sep 29, 2020

Its not very interactive. I learnt almost nothing to be honest

May 2, 2020

Sorry, I would expect more from university backed course

By Sidharth S

Apr 19, 2020

The course felt like it needed more simpler explanations