Back to Blockchain Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Blockchain Basics by University at Buffalo

This first course of the Blockchain specialization provides a broad overview of the essential concepts of blockchain technology – by initially exploring the Bitcoin protocol followed by the Ethereum protocol – to lay the foundation necessary for developing applications and programming. You will be equipped with the knowledge needed to create nodes on your personal Ethereum blockchain, create accounts, unlock accounts, mine, transact, transfer Ethers, and check balances. You will learn about the decentralized peer-to-peer network, an immutable distributed ledger and the trust model that defines a blockchain. This course enables you to explain basic components of a blockchain (transaction, block, block header, and the chain) its operations (verification, validation, and consensus model) underlying algorithms, and essentials of trust (hard fork and soft fork). Content includes the hashing and cryptography foundations indispensable to blockchain programming, which is the focus of two subsequent specialization courses, Smart Contracts and Decentralized Applications (Dapps). You will work on a virtual machine image, specifically created for this course, to build an Ethereum test chain and operate on the chain. This hands-on activity will help you understand the workings of a blockchain, its transactions, blocks and mining. Main concepts are delivered through videos, demos and hands-on exercises....

TT
Nov 18, 2018

This is an introductory course to Blockchain. The supplemented material (in other words self-study) is excellent and in my opinion is the only way to master the concepts and details of this discipline

AU
Dec 24, 2020

A comprehensive and clear course that summarizes the basic concepts to understand blockchain technology. Also, the resources and contents included are very valuables. I totally recommend this course.

1426 - 1450 of 1,462 Reviews for Blockchain Basics

By Noah D

Jul 25, 2021

While video lessons were helpful, assignments/quizzes were pretty bland and final assignment did not function properly so was unable to submit. A bit misleading on assignment/quiz time - 4 multiple choice questions shouldn't be listed as 30 minutes of work. Overall, it's an ok starter course but needs some work.

By Vinit K P

Aug 24, 2021

Some of the terminologies used in the video are directly used without prior explanation which makes it really difficult to understand. I had to frequently visit the web to understand the technical terminologies that were used directly. Anyways, the resources attached with the course are awesome.

By Harsh S

May 3, 2020

The video lectures in this course are too short and laconic. Most of the things are provided as reading material of other blogs and articles already available. There is barely any point of doing this course. Just read online articles and you'll know everything in this course!!

By Pablo O O B

Aug 25, 2020

I'm sorry, but I need to be honest. The course does not meet my expectations. The subject is complex and the course does not provide a clear and easy intro to the subject. I was able to finish it because I had some previous knowledge on the subject.

By Alexandru B

Oct 9, 2020

More than half of the reading links are dead, the assignment is throwing an error that many people are getting and nobody seems to be answering the forum. It's a dead course imo, I regret starting it, I should've searched for a newer one

By Yousif A

Mar 18, 2021

The quizzes are somewhat weak, and some questions have weird wording. Overall, it's an okay intro I guess. I didn't like the corpro-training style videos and staging backgrounds.

By Ananthu M P

Jul 17, 2020

overall experience was not that good. should improve the teaching methods. The contents are precise but the method of teaching is boring

By Khandaker M R

This is a very high-level overview of Blockchain. If you are interest in learning codes related to blockchain, you can skip this course.

By Piyush

Jun 8, 2020

only get to know about the theory, this course does not contain any content to get a knowledge of how to implement the block chain

By Prakhar G

May 14, 2020

Good for learning about the Blockchain basics, but were being constantly evaluated on things never thought.

By Leo H

Jan 9, 2021

Outdated material,

couldnt get the vm to work on my ubuntu 18.04.

No programming exercises anywhere.

By Sacsham A

Oct 9, 2019

if more explanation of the reading material would be given, must have been more helpful

By Sara M B P

Sep 29, 2020

Its not very interactive. I learnt almost nothing to be honest

May 2, 2020

Sorry, I would expect more from university backed course

By Sidharth S

Apr 19, 2020

The course felt like it needed more simpler explanations

By DEVESH S

Apr 30, 2020

need to improve how the faculty is teaching

By sumit.mba19234@iimkashipur.ac.in

The final assignment was quite frustrating

By Kadam R

Aug 3, 2020

hello i can't complete 1 assignment

By Adrian B

Oct 22, 2019

The final activity could not be completed. The instructions were rubbish, the tool we were supposed to download and install didn t work and many many people had similar issues. I wrote to the discussion board about it and no one bothered to reply till the course ended and I ended up without being able to do the activity and submit the results, hence no certificate.

Really rubbish and a waste of money. Most the material was freely available on the internet anyway - as provided by links within the course.

If you are really interested in Blockchain, just browse the internet and find the free material available. You won t be able to get the certificate anyway here.

By Nicolas D

Nov 10, 2020

This wouldve been a great course but I had a few problems with it. Compared to other e learning courses I have taken, the text associated with each video IS NOT correct. This is most likely generated by AI and the audio of the video and given the lecturers accent....made it hard to follow along and take notes.

The final activity, did not work as expected and I saw far too many people having issues with this portion...thankfully got through it but this is making me reconsider completing the specialization due to how frustrating it was.

By Johanna K E

Oct 6, 2021

I am trying to dis-enroll. This is a comprehensive course on CRYPTOcurrency, with heavy bias towards Ethereum, NOT Blockchain. The two are NOT the same, by any stretch of the imagination. I am very knowledgeable of both Crypto and Blockchain. I wanted to take a course to learn in-depth nuances of blockchain tech to aid me in learning to code for it.

Again, this is a Crypto-currency course.

All mentions of blockchain revolve around Crypto-currency only.

By DIVYANG M

Jun 15, 2020

This course was completely out of date, and the instructor seemed like reading the text from the screen, and there was no explanation, I have experience in the field of Blockchain, and I would suggest that this course needs a lot of improvement, I was disappointed with the content

By Stephan v d W

Oct 6, 2021

The content of the course is great. The final task was not possible to complete as I experienced more than 58, 000 errors on extraction, was unable to find the ovf file (may have been corrupted).

Unfortunately I will have to drop from the course without completing it.

By Ivan P

Dec 9, 2020

Too little support from the mentors. Several participants, me included, couldn't finish the course due to technical limitations which were not offered to being solved.

By Sanjeet c

Sep 5, 2020

The professor is literally reading from a screen in front of her, without explaning a single letter or concept, just like a student loud reading a book in a classroom