Back to Blockchain Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Blockchain Basics by University at Buffalo

This first course of the Blockchain specialization provides a broad overview of the essential concepts of blockchain technology – by initially exploring the Bitcoin protocol followed by the Ethereum protocol – to lay the foundation necessary for developing applications and programming. You will be equipped with the knowledge needed to create nodes on your personal Ethereum blockchain, create accounts, unlock accounts, mine, transact, transfer Ethers, and check balances. You will learn about the decentralized peer-to-peer network, an immutable distributed ledger and the trust model that defines a blockchain. This course enables you to explain basic components of a blockchain (transaction, block, block header, and the chain) its operations (verification, validation, and consensus model) underlying algorithms, and essentials of trust (hard fork and soft fork). Content includes the hashing and cryptography foundations indispensable to blockchain programming, which is the focus of two subsequent specialization courses, Smart Contracts and Decentralized Applications (Dapps). You will work on a virtual machine image, specifically created for this course, to build an Ethereum test chain and operate on the chain. This hands-on activity will help you understand the workings of a blockchain, its transactions, blocks and mining. Main concepts are delivered through videos, demos and hands-on exercises....

TT
Nov 18, 2018

This is an introductory course to Blockchain. The supplemented material (in other words self-study) is excellent and in my opinion is the only way to master the concepts and details of this discipline

U
Dec 31, 2019

One of the Best course for Absolutely Beginners :-) Discussed Core Fundamental Factors of Blockchain of Bitcoin and Ethereum. Amazing Resources & Really Helpful Content. Thanks Bina Ramamurthy Ma'am.

126 - 150 of 1,461 Reviews for Blockchain Basics

By Swapnil D

The course is well thought and driven with core concepts. The assignments are really helpful too. I would suggest whoever wants to deep dive into the blockchain should start with this course. It's worth every second.

By Meghana R

Aug 11, 2021

Didn't know anything about the world of Blockchain development before this and now I have a good grasp on the concepts and can move onto development! Definitely worth the time. Not a minute is wasted in this course.

By Richard O

Jun 6, 2019

Very thorough introduction. The final assignment, while not difficult per se, was arduous getting VM to behave. But I suppose those kind of configuration/OS challenges are very present in real-world implementations.

By PRATYUSH S

Got to know something new. I was curious about blockchain and how it actually operates. Through this course I gained the answers to the various questions I previously had regarding blockchain and cryptocurrency.

By Jeshil S J

Oct 9, 2020

A very brief and enlightening course on Blockchain technology and its functioning. The additional materials given did add an extra layer of knowledge as well. Overall loved the course and its simple structure.

By Robert T

Apr 1, 2021

The course content was great but the final assignment became an issue because i have a new m1 mac that had a problem opening the VM. I didn't deduct points because there may have been something I did wrong.

By Ashutosh P

Jun 29, 2020

Thanks, mam for creating this awesome course. It's very helpful for me a lot and I understood all basics of blockchain very easy way. Thanks, Coursera for giving me this opportunity in this COVID-19 period.

By Adri J J J

This course helped me understand the basic concepts of Blockchains. Moreover, the analogies expressed are really interesting and tend to in pull our interest towards the course. Thank you, Prof. and team!

By James B

Oct 29, 2019

Great course for learning the basics of protocol and how this technology functions. Gives tangible insight into why this technology is so innovative and set to restructure much of our existing systems.

By Slavoljub P

Jul 16, 2018

Amazing Course , easy to follow , in depth explanation, easy to understand , I have was amazing Experience, still learning a lot ... and for me this was the best way to start learn about blockchain

By Ronak L

Jul 15, 2019

A comprehensive course covering everything related to Blockchain Basics and great for Beginners and any professional who wants to start their career in Blockchain technology can take this course.

By Raghavendra G H

May 5, 2019

The course is well designed to give you an overview of Blockchain and the basic concepts. What is Smart Contract and other various terminologies and how they play a role in the blockchain. Thanks

By Joseph B

May 31, 2021

Comprehensive and thorough introduction to blockchain concepts and protocol. Recommended for those with a casual interest in the subject as well as those interested in working in this space.

By Dasy L

Jul 31, 2020

This course gave me a lot of knowledge about BlockChain. Before this course, I didn't have any knowledge about BlockChain. I learned BitCoin and Ehereum. I knew, how they work, how to apply?

By Nitin N

Nov 7, 2019

The course was at a right pace for me and it introduced concepts at the right level of detail. Also provided lot of reading and watching material that was useful for such a evolving subject.

By Yolanda

Jul 26, 2018

Excelente, me ha servido para afianzar conceptos que ya tenía pero que no había visto materializados. El proyecto aunque asusta un poco es bastante sencillo y entiendes muchas cosas. Gracias

By Hồng T N

Aug 17, 2020

This course is definitely perfect for beginners who started studying blockchain. I am going to suggest this course to my friends who are also interested in blockchain. Thank you, lecturers.

By ARAMBAKAM S

Jul 28, 2020

the blockchain concept is gonna be a revolutionary one in every field.

this course is very helpful and easily understandable for every one irrespective of the background from which they came

By Vivekananda G

Jul 24, 2020

excellent course regarding blockchain and amazing practicals work included. thank you very much. I wish you create a complete practical course, and make us more eager to do that. Thank you.

By Bikash R

Jan 21, 2019

Thank you Bina mam for making this this course. My knowledge is so much expand to take this course.

If you live 100+ years don't be confused many peoples blessing with you.

Thank you so much.

By Abilio R D

Nov 27, 2019

Lovely course, with good materials and also good references for reading, I also love the last and final assignment. Nothing better than to have some hands-on to apply have we have learned.

By Gianvito P

Dec 2, 2018

The course provides a high-level overview of blockchains, mainly Bitcoin and Ethereum. A good introductory course, necessary to follow the other courses of the specialization effectively.

By zain m

Aug 15, 2019

I would like to say that it is the best course that explains 100% of major parts of a blockchain and its architecture. Dr. Bina's experience on blockchain take this course to next level.

By Leonardo D M

Aug 10, 2019

Excelent oportunity for undergraduates to understand all the technologies behind the blockchain concept. Also fit for IT Managers that might need to get a trend update with large detail.

By Nguyễn D Đ

Jan 23, 2021

I think I can learn more and more with Blockchain Basic. Because it's so easy to learn and the theory about blockchain always easy to understand by Bina Ramamurthy. I love this course!