Back to Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions by University of Alberta

Of all the animals on earth, which are the strongest for their size? What about the fastest? Who were the first animals to evolve flight? Insects take all of these titles and more! As the most abundant animals on the planet, insects and other arthropods affect our lives in so many ways. From beneficial interactions like pollination and biological pest control, to the transmission of life threatening diseases; this course will teach you about the big ways that these little arthropods impact our lives. In Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions, you will be plunged into the diverse (and sometimes alien) world of arthropods to learn how they work, what they do, and how insects and humans interact every day. After completing this course, you will be able to: Describe the evolutionary relationships between insects and their arthropod relatives Inventory major groups of insects and their diversity Demonstrate evolutionary adaptations that make insects successful Discuss insect biology and human-insect interactions Evaluate positive and negative interactions between insects and humans Propose practical and symbolic roles insects play in human societies...

AB
Jul 7, 2020

Very interesting and specially the anchors of this course are very enthusiastic and encouraging throughout the course so my focus is maintain for bugs and surly I will search more on insects further.

MH
Nov 19, 2020

An absolutely fantastic course with logically set-out modules and enthusiastic, inspiring and engaging presenters. Very useful for anyone involved in Science outreach and/or widening participation.

101 - 125 of 400 Reviews for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

By Ana C T R

Jan 5, 2021

I really love insects and it was a really informative course, very concise and well structured. The concepts were very clear and the additional material was very helpful. Congratulations to the university of Alberta, it's academics and the team that produced this videos.

By Josh C

Nov 23, 2020

This was perfect for me as a side-course to take in the evening after my kids and work have been completed. I learned much more than I expected, and really enjoyed the lessons from the whole team! Would definitely recommend to anyone who's remotely interested in insects.

By Melanie d M

Dec 23, 2019

Thank you so much for such an informative and fascinatingly awesome course! I've learned so much and gained an even bigger appreciation for these amazing creatures! I would highly recommend this course to everyone, from beginners to professionals working in conservation.

By Aavash A

Jan 5, 2021

The course was really insightful. The conversation with different experts from their respective fields makes me aware of the scope of entomology. After completing the course I have developed much respect for insects and I aspire to be a good entomologist in the future.

By Mary C

Dec 2, 2020

I would recommend this course for everyone who cares about sustainability and the environment. It is an excellent course which is very well presented. Also, the visuals are fascinating. I've always liked insects, but now I have an even greater appreciation for them.

By Georgios K

Dec 20, 2019

I totally enjoyed this course! It was a great experience! All the instructors had done a great job and everything was understandable and clear. I learned a lot of new things and I am very happy that I had the opportunity to obtain this knowledge! Thank you very much!

By Mary J B

Nov 26, 2020

This was an enlightening, intriguing, thorough, challenging, balanced entomology course that was scientifically presented. The quantity and quality of supplementary readings was outstanding, and the course notes are absolute keepers for future reference and review.

By Raiyan M D

Jul 15, 2020

It's a great course for anyone who loves insects, and my gosh must I say that the prepared summary slides for each chapter is AMAZING! I am an environmental science uni student at James Cook University, and the quality of our slides do NOT even come close to these!

By AL

Jun 20, 2020

It was an amazing course. I want to do it again, jeje. The information that you have is of excellent quality. I would like to do my master's degree at Alberta University with all of you. The interviews are great. Congratulations for an amazing and wonderful course.

By Carol M

Dec 20, 2019

A very interesting course. It really opened my eyes to the fascinating world of insects and our interactions with them. The myriad adaptations that insects have made is mind boggling. Another very well done course from the University of Alberta! Thanks Coursera!

By Brandon S

Sep 28, 2020

Fantastic course. Very engaging and well taught in general. This course really utilizes Coursera and online learning to an incredible degree that left me wanting more! Had a great time learning and would take another course offered by this team in a heartbeat.

By Deepti R B

Jul 10, 2020

This is an amazing course that has provided me with knowledge about insects from multiple perspectives and multiple stakeholders working in this space. It has triggered my interest to learn more about these interesting creatures through observation in nature.

By Tiziano G

May 6, 2020

Amazing

I really loved this course, easy to understand and awesome video-lectures. It was my second course with this university and I will definitely do more courses with them.

If you love insects, both like an enthusiast or an expert, this course is a must do.

By Krishnendu S

Jul 12, 2020

Exceptionally good course for everybody. You may like insects or hate them, but you must take the course. It is also very useful for Zoology majors and those Zoology Ph.D., who have a passion for entomology but never got the chance to invest in the subject!

By Steven L J

Jan 20, 2021

An amazing course, great that all the lessons are also in Pdf format next to the video lectures for future reading. The instructors are amazing and quite frankly I wish my teachers would have been as engaging and passionate when I was attending university.

By Sandra L

Oct 9, 2019

This was an excellent course. I was fascinated by so many aspects of the lessons, and learned a great deal about insect life, and the relationship between humans and insects. I really appreciated the obvious fascination that the lecturers have for insects.

By Jingtian Z

Dec 26, 2020

I used to lack the knowledge of insects more than any other animal groups, but with this couse, insects have a different and more important role in my knowlegde. It made me know and respect the largest (in species) and The smallest (on size) on Earth.

By Néstor S I

Nov 26, 2020

Really amazing course. Both the instructors and learning material are very good, they made me grow my interest for entomology that before the course was not really there. Probably, better than most of my bachellor and master lectures. Congratulations.

By Elise B

Feb 16, 2021

They did such an amazing job with this course! The visuals, organization, and supplemental components are all so well thought-out, and it really creates such enthusiasm for the subject. You can tell that everyone involved truly loves what they do.

By Muhamad A B A B

Aug 16, 2020

Well-planned course that covers in-depth topics & content related to entomology. Instructors can explain well. The course provider even goes extra miles with interviews, ILOs, supplementary readings to help learners understand the subject better.

By Jill M

Jul 28, 2020

Phenomenal course, full of fascinating and real-world, practical knowledge about the stunning variety of insects and the roles they play within the plant and animal kingdoms -- affecting nearly every aspect of the human world. Highly recommended!

By Shruti G

It was a phenomenal experience to learn so much about the little creatures that seem so insignificant, yet play great ecological roles. The study materials, tutorials and tutors were amazing. There was a lot to learn and the journey was exciting.

By Kimaya D

Jun 8, 2020

Exceptional course containing detailed information about various insects and their impact to human life and society. Will highly recommend to anyone willing to learn a bit more about average and unusual insects as well as to insect lovers.

By Christine M

I enjoyed this course. I learned a lot and it was both interesting and informative. Thanks for all the effort put into the course to make it interesting. I will never look at bugs the same way again. I certainly appreciate them much more.

By Owen T

Feb 19, 2021

My 5th grade son used this as part of his homeschooling this year. A lot of the reading was beyond his level, but this was so well done that even he could get a lot out of it. Thanks for providing this course. We learned a lot!