Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

MM
Feb 17, 2017

An excellent course provided by phenomenal professors! Everything is broken down into simple, easily understandable portions, and leaves you with a clear idea how to proceed to solve a given problem.

CT
Aug 22, 2020

This was so much fun, so satisfying and I learned a lot. I'm a software engineer. We do so much work in high-level languages that it's great to be reminded how computing machinery gets the job done.

226 - 250 of 862 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By Diego C A

Aug 19, 2016

I have completed the course and I must say it is one of the best courses I have taken because it is very clear all the information. In addition, the development of the projects allow you to learn in a deep way.

By Andrew Y

Dec 27, 2020

Very well designed course. The provided simulators and tests are very helpful for the assignments. The material itself, walking you through designing a computer in HDL and then writing an assmbler, is awesome.

By SANAD K

Dec 4, 2020

"Everything I need to know I learned in second grade"

-Noam

These two guys are OGs for me they have a way of explaining things in a really easy way . I am indebted to them for demystifying the computer for me.

By Massimo S

Jan 11, 2021

Loved the course! Prof. Nisam and Prof. Schocken were absolutely capable of building new notions on top of previous material. This gives the feeling of slowly mastering all the parts starting from the basics

By Nelson P

Amazing. As a self-taught software engineer, I didn't have an understanding of computer architecture and how code is actually run. This course demystifies all of that. Projects are challenging yet rewarding.

By Pushkar S

Jan 13, 2020

This is an incredible course. I loved it 100%. I audited the course first, and then I just wanted to complete the assignments for a certificate. I enjoyed doing that a lot especially making the assembler!!!

By Michael P

Jun 15, 2018

This is a great course with a well-written text book to go alongside it. The projects increase in difficulty at a pretty good rate. It was well worth the time and effort I put in. Looking forward to part 2.

By Aswan K

Mar 24, 2021

Easily one of the most challenging, engaging and rewarding online courses I have ever attempted. It was an empowering experience to successfully complete nandtotetris Part1. Thanks for this amazing course

By U A

Apr 30, 2020

Great way of helping understanding everyone of how computer works internally from a nand gate to assembly language. It gave idea about the architecture as well. It was a great experience overall.Thank you.

By Ankit G

Dec 31, 2019

The very first course that was able to provide the practical knowledge of the working of a computer without any abstraction, apart from week 6 that had a bit of programming and text processing abstraction.

By Eric

Apr 5, 2020

Detailed explanation, step-by-step knowledge. Perfect for novices. Taking this course is a pleasure, not only to gain knowledge, but also to build confidence in programming. Wonderful Course!!! ( ̄▽ ̄)"

By 陈学海

Aug 26, 2018

Fantastic! It is very interesting and projects are easy to finish. The most important thing is I've learned a lot about computer system concepts in a bigger picture. Thanks a lot, Prof.Noam & Prof.Shimon!

By George C

Jan 17, 2021

Excellent work ! And there are absolutely, I mean absolutely, no typos, neither in the book nor in the extra material. Attention in detail, and the content is just as much needed - neither more nor less.

By Amartya R

Jun 18, 2018

nice course !! going to add this in my resume ! learned so many things and now computer is 1% more understandable than previous !juts kidding ! Now ,I really know some good basics of how computer works!

By Mark W

Oct 14, 2016

The course is well structured, leading the learner through project based learning from one conceptual level to another. It's completion was very satisfying and I look forward to From Nand to Tetris II.

By William C

Great course and definitely improved my understanding on how a computer works! Love the videos and the assignments. The Q&A from their website is a gem! I wish I have them as my professor in my school!

By Branko B

Jul 17, 2019

This course was really great and covered everything it aimed to. Noam and Shimon broke down concepts simply and made them easy to understand. I'm moving on right away to the second part of this course!

By Madhavi M

Feb 18, 2017

By Chung-Hung W

Nov 22, 2020

Excellent course. Perfectly serve my purpose to demystify how computer works, and make good bridge among electronic engineering, chip design, computer science, and programming. Highly appreciate!

By Youssif R

Jul 16, 2020

this one of the most elegant courses a computer engineer can take in the early beginnings of his undergrad study, it will give him the overall view of digital design and computer architecture.

By André M S

Jun 18, 2020

Lovely learning experience. Engaging and passionate lessons, well-explained concepts and fantastic pacing. The grading was also fantastic; this is the best way to conduct a course of this style.

By JUN Z

Jul 20, 2017

through this course I literally understand how to computer operates and how it is built from a simple chip Nand to a complex system with ROM/RAM/CPU. The course is great! Highly recommend this!

By tammychang

May 13, 2021

can assist beginners in understanding the fundamentals of computers, The teachers were very clear in teaching the content. (The homework was not really easy... might be because I am a beginner)

By Sindhoor T

Jul 23, 2019

This is one of the best courses I've ever taken. Simplistic, easy to follow, takes you from Beginner to Advanced at a steady pace. Learned a ton! Thanks a lot for making such a beautiful course

By Leon M W

May 29, 2019

Incredible Course. I've never experienced such an learning experience. This course did not just teach me how computers work, more importantly it taught me how to learn and deal with complexity.