Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

MM

Feb 18, 2017

An excellent course provided by phenomenal professors! Everything is broken down into simple, easily understandable portions, and leaves you with a clear idea how to proceed to solve a given problem.

CT

Aug 23, 2020

This was so much fun, so satisfying and I learned a lot. I'm a software engineer. We do so much work in high-level languages that it's great to be reminded how computing machinery gets the job done.

176 - 200 of 750 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By Aidan R

Jun 11, 2019

A great starting point for anyone with an interest in computer programming its easy to follow and well planned although the partner website could be a little cleaner but i found everything i needed fairly quickly. Thanks Guys

By Tan Z

Mar 30, 2020

Rank this course five stars just after first week. Very well designed in a way that beginners can completely understand. Combined with challenging but not impossible projects. I have a great time coding HDL in this course!

By Balasubramanyam E

Jun 30, 2017

Nand2tetris is the course I was searching for, beautifully constructed and explained. The course gives an in depth knowledge of how hardware works and different layers present in it. Looking forward to the second part !!

By Jonathan w

Apr 16, 2020

I did a CS degree in 1990.

Wish I had done this course way back then. It has filled a lot of knowledge gaps.

I have enjoyed it immensely.

Thank you Noam and Shimon.

Really looking forward to the the next half of the course.

By Ramesh N

Jul 21, 2019

Something that I always wanted to do , this course allowed me to do something that I would have never been able to do otherwise . Cannot recommend it enough to the Computer science student as well as the IT professional

By Avinal K

Aug 10, 2020

One of the best courses I have ever taken. They really taught what they promised. Everything is nicely designed and well versed. Since its a project-centric course, I got to make so many things. This course is awesome.

By Sai K G

I absolutely loved this course. i am indebted to Prof. Shimon Schocken and Prof. Noam Nisan for their tremendously simplistic explanation of the course that made it enjoyable. Thank you coursera for having this course.

By Shannon J

Jul 11, 2017

This is a wonderful course. It is very detailed and through. It should be required for every Computer Science major. It not only teaches computer architecture but also how a computer works in an easy to understand way.

By Alexander T

Jul 30, 2016

This is a brilliant course. The information is presented in a structured and clear manner. The assignments are very interesting and really test your logical thinking.

I am looking forward to studying the second part.

By Eric M N

Mar 29, 2018

Amazing! All the course is completely mindblowing. You can really understand what is the computer that you use, and how it really works inside as 0s and 1s. Thank you very much, Professor Noam and Professor Shimon!

By Michele R

Jul 14, 2019

Finally I have the great vision of all those courses I had to take during my bachelor and which relations between them were not always so clear. Recommended, I'm going to start the 2nd party with joy and curiosity

By vasu g

Jan 17, 2017

Really Awesome Course, loved it !!! Very thankful to the instructors for sharing their knowledge, passion, efforts and time. I learned a lot from the course and it helped clarify a lot of concepts. Thanks again.

By Diego C A

Aug 19, 2016

I have completed the course and I must say it is one of the best courses I have taken because it is very clear all the information. In addition, the development of the projects allow you to learn in a deep way.

By Nelson P

Jun 23, 2020

Amazing. As a self-taught software engineer, I didn't have an understanding of computer architecture and how code is actually run. This course demystifies all of that. Projects are challenging yet rewarding.

By Pushkar S

Jan 13, 2020

This is an incredible course. I loved it 100%. I audited the course first, and then I just wanted to complete the assignments for a certificate. I enjoyed doing that a lot especially making the assembler!!!

By Michael P

Jun 15, 2018

This is a great course with a well-written text book to go alongside it. The projects increase in difficulty at a pretty good rate. It was well worth the time and effort I put in. Looking forward to part 2.

By U A

Apr 30, 2020

Great way of helping understanding everyone of how computer works internally from a nand gate to assembly language. It gave idea about the architecture as well. It was a great experience overall.Thank you.

By Ankit G

Dec 31, 2019

The very first course that was able to provide the practical knowledge of the working of a computer without any abstraction, apart from week 6 that had a bit of programming and text processing abstraction.

By Eric

Apr 05, 2020

Detailed explanation, step-by-step knowledge. Perfect for novices. Taking this course is a pleasure, not only to gain knowledge, but also to build confidence in programming. Wonderful Course!!! ( ̄▽ ̄)"

By 陈学海

Aug 26, 2018

Fantastic! It is very interesting and projects are easy to finish. The most important thing is I've learned a lot about computer system concepts in a bigger picture. Thanks a lot, Prof.Noam & Prof.Shimon!

By Amartya R

Jun 18, 2018

nice course !! going to add this in my resume ! learned so many things and now computer is 1% more understandable than previous !juts kidding ! Now ,I really know some good basics of how computer works!

By Mark W

Oct 15, 2016

The course is well structured, leading the learner through project based learning from one conceptual level to another. It's completion was very satisfying and I look forward to From Nand to Tetris II.

By William C

Great course and definitely improved my understanding on how a computer works! Love the videos and the assignments. The Q&A from their website is a gem! I wish I have them as my professor in my school!

By Branko B

Jul 17, 2019

This course was really great and covered everything it aimed to. Noam and Shimon broke down concepts simply and made them easy to understand. I'm moving on right away to the second part of this course!

By Madhavi M