Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

MM
Feb 17, 2017

An excellent course provided by phenomenal professors! Everything is broken down into simple, easily understandable portions, and leaves you with a clear idea how to proceed to solve a given problem.

CT
Aug 22, 2020

This was so much fun, so satisfying and I learned a lot. I'm a software engineer. We do so much work in high-level languages that it's great to be reminded how computing machinery gets the job done.

326 - 350 of 851 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By Nikita S

Mar 8, 2018

That was a very good course which helped a lot to understand how does exactly computer insides are working. Great starting point for any beginner.

By SATYA K R

A Very useful and inciting course based on one of the great inventions by man. Got my curiosity related to computers satisified with this course.

By David L

Feb 14, 2017

Amazing course, I really enjoyed it, I recommend to all who wish to understand better about the computational architecture from its foundation.

By Yao-Ting L

Apr 23, 2016

I think this is one of the BEST class on coursera.

Instructors use a very efficient and easy way to teach the essence of computer architecture.

By Dave A

Dec 7, 2020

This was a great course! To go from building basic logic gates to writing an assembler for a computer that I built, in less than 6 weeks, wow!

By Ian W

Apr 21, 2019

Wow what an amazing course, very good lectures, very good curriculum. One of the best courses I've taken even including my 5 years at college.

By bowman

Jul 8, 2020

it is an execllent course, full of joy.

and I recommed the author to develop a more deep courses cover a modern cpu design and a unix like os

By David G C

May 13, 2020

Me hizo cambiar la manera de ver la enseñanza.

Muchas Gracias gracias a los profesores Shimon y Noam, así como su equipo de colaboradores.

By Liu X

Nov 1, 2019

This is the best basic computer lessons I have ever entered. When I finished building a hack computer, I felt proud and exited. Thank you!

By Itai S

May 20, 2018

As a seasoned programmer I took the course with my 16 years old son and we both got a deep low-level knowledge and an amazing experience.

By Antoine N

Oct 8, 2016

It was a great experience building a computer hardware from first principles. I am wondering if I can build this architecture on an FPGA@

By Mathias D

May 23, 2020

I had a great time and some sleepless nights in this course. I was able to refresh old knowledge and gain a lot of new detail knowledge.

By Dean P

Feb 25, 2018

I learned a lot. from how a computer is built to actually making one myself. i hope i can learn more in the second course in the series.

By Eden E

May 18, 2016

This is a concise overview of computer science. If you could only take one course in this whole field. This would be the course to take.

By Vaishnavi C

Apr 1, 2021

A must do course for every Computer Science Engineer!! Wonderful course. Well structured and very well simplified to suit any learner.

By Tiago D S

Mar 11, 2021

Absolutely incredible course! The simplicity and ingenuity of each step guide you through the process of creating a complete computer!

By Matthew G

Oct 22, 2016

Great course to understand how the computer "black box" works at a fundamental level. Looking forward to the 2nd half of this course!

By Nicholas L

Feb 12, 2021

One of the best courses on here! Very well done, with visible rewards for your efforts.

My best wishes go to the authors of the course

By Trang L H

Aug 23, 2020

A very challenging but rewarding course. Give you a hand-on experience about low level machine language and how they're all connected

By Simon J

The course is excellent. Well structured, well paced. It taught someone who has been in the industry for many years some new tricks.

By Wilson R d A

Nov 4, 2016

Amazing course, with the perfect ratio between depth and abstraction. For me the computer is no longer a magic box that does tricks.

By Henrique S C

Sep 3, 2016

Fantastic course. I recommend it to anyone who not only want to know how a computer works, but want to build one out of transistors.

By Joao C

Feb 7, 2021

Really loved doing this course, I finally understood basic concepts of how computers work and having to replicate was so important.

By Richard J

Aug 15, 2020

Excellent course. Highly recommended to anyone into Computers and wishing to gain a deeper understanding of how it 'does its thang'

By knig

Jan 26, 2019

Awesome well explained course with super cool assignments! <3 it and will take the second part of the course as soon as I have time