Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

AI
Jun 13, 2021

Undeniably one of the best computer science courses. The advertising isn't false! This course permanently changed my perspective on hardware and software along with the relationship between the two...

RD
May 22, 2021

Thanks to the instructors for bringing forth such an amazing course. The way the course is strucured makes it very interesting and easy to learn. Loved and enjoyed the course and learnt a lot from it

176 - 200 of 890 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By Anton M

May 11, 2019

Great course, would recommend it to anyone who wants to understand "how does computer works"

Well structured, maintains amount of challenge on sufficient level to keep you interested

Btw I highly doubt if it's possible to complete it with 0% knowledge of any programming language

By Dmitry K

Feb 17, 2017

Brilliant course! Very exciting. By my opinion, it could be better if it was more complicated to provide more challenges for experienced software developers, but this revision also is very good. Thanks to the authors. It was very interesting to fill this gap in my knowledge.

By yami m

Jun 27, 2017

Amazing course, I recommand it to anyone that wants an overview of all the hardware inside a computer, and more generally to any computer science student. You get to really look (and experience) what is under the hood, thanks to the great job done by this course's creators.

By Vishnuwardhan S

Aug 30, 2020

This is the only course which has cleared all my doubts about how a computer can be constructed from the ground up. It was clear and detailed and provided a comprehensive picture of how a computer works. I'm really glad I took the course and look forward to taking part 2.

By Anish M

Jul 21, 2020

This was one of the most thorough courses in computer architecture and digital design. It is very satisfying to create a computer from something as simple as a NAND gate. The entire process is very rewarding and I am exciting for the next part of the NAND2TETRIS course.

By Marcel S

Nov 29, 2017

Truly a great course if you want to learn about how computers work. If you don't have a CS degree and feel that there are some gaps in your knowledge to fill this course will definitely help you. But the most important thing: This course is great fun.

Highly commended!

By Benjamin K

Dec 27, 2017

This course provides a knowledge foundation and extensible vision to see how computing systems work. I have been following this course to develop a curriculum based on the vision of this course. Excellent contribution to the bring computational literacy to the masses.

By Danny D

Sep 13, 2017

This class was fantastic! It was illuminating, well planned and extremely gratifying. I am a much more knowledgeable computer scientist as a result of taking this course. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to truly understand how low-level computing operates.

By Steve R

Aug 28, 2020

I did this course with my teen-age son. We both were able to build a computer from basic logic components and program it in assembly language. The instructors are clear, the assignments are the right size, and the tools make it so that you can check your own work.

By Markus F P

Jun 29, 2018

A very great course, had lots of fun with the first 5 projects, but sadly wasnt able to write a program for project 6, therefore did it by hand which wasnt that interesting. However, I learned a lot about the functioning of the CPU and the Memory, which is great.

By Francisco G G

Jul 4, 2021

Noam and Shimon made a very engaging course. I finished my studies more than 20 years ago, and I came acroos with FPGAs. I wanted to update my knowledge so every thing came fresh after following the course. For sure, I will follow the 2nd course as well. Thanks.

By Кирилл Б

Feb 21, 2018

Awesome course, it give me understanding how everything works under the hood. I am grateful to the creators for their work, perfect explanations, interesting and exciting projects, awesome supported materials and software. It was an amazing adventure. Thank you.

By Daniel S

Dec 8, 2019

This class was truly exceptional. I felt like it did an excellent job on conveying abstract concepts and I came away with a working knowledge of very basic computer architecture. I recommend this class to anyone curious about the inner workings of a computer.

By Anubhav B

Oct 26, 2020

From coding an AND gate to a RAM, from being puzzled about bottom-up working of a computer to writing an Assembler....It took me 7 and a half weeks, 73 notebook pages and gazillion brain cells.

Thank you dear professors, Shimon and Noam :)

I learned a lot...

By Ajinkya M

Sep 29, 2019

Really I want to thank Coursera for providing such wonderful knowledge and high-quality course available. The course should be made mandatory to kids, students & engineers. The understanding of the computers is greatly enhanced after completing this course

By Thomas N

Dec 6, 2016

The most amazing online course. I love how it is project based. Everything you learn is straight away applied to building the project and it it made me look at so many things in life differently due to the way it breaks down the concept of abstraction.

By Ion P

Dec 23, 2018

It was a really nice course with very good practical projects. What I really liked was the fact that in the end you will understand how all the electronic circuits inside the CPU will be translated into the lowest level of software inside a computer.

By Sudhabindu D

Mar 20, 2021

One of the best online Computer Science courses out there. I don't know why it's not as famous as the other ones. If you want to know how a computer works inside out (and also build one from scratch!), just go for it. This one is for the epiphanies.

By Yuval A

Apr 1, 2021

Very informative, before taking the course I always treated computers as a black box without knowing and even being able to imagine how they can be built. Now it became much more clear how 0's and 1's only can be added up to such an amazing machine

By Huzaifa A

Aug 30, 2020

I think this was an amazing course. Both profs really teach you well and clears your basic concepts about electronic and digital world. It was a great experience learning and building HACK computer which was a dream come true in 6 weeks. Thank you.

By Alexander N

Dec 31, 2017

I took this course out of curiosity and probably some nostalgic feelings. I really like the idea of making CS 101 course that builds your knowledge from ground up. And what can be more exciting than building a computer and writing your own game :)

By INISH M D S

Jun 26, 2020

I'm totally overwhelmed by the power I have after taking this course. From 3 years the question "How computers work?" was wondering in my mind. There is no space for this query in my mind anymore after building a computer from scratch on my own.

By Vytenis N

Dec 21, 2019

This course provides a great and sight-opening introduction to the very basics of computing science. Going from basic parts and seeing the system build up step-by-step gives a sense of accomplishment and understanding that is hard to be matched.

By Anubhav p

Aug 30, 2020

I always wanted such a course where I can learn each and every fundamentals of computer from scratch in small steps. This course is really a fantastic course and I suggest this for all those who are interested in learning how the computer work.

By Krisjanis R

What a great course! Very inspiring also in terms how one can scale a course using automated assignment checking. I would love to join a camp at a IC factory where one could build this for real. Let me know if somebody has a course like that.