Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

MM
Feb 17, 2017

An excellent course provided by phenomenal professors! Everything is broken down into simple, easily understandable portions, and leaves you with a clear idea how to proceed to solve a given problem.

CT
Aug 22, 2020

This was so much fun, so satisfying and I learned a lot. I'm a software engineer. We do so much work in high-level languages that it's great to be reminded how computing machinery gets the job done.

151 - 175 of 772 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By Marcel S

Nov 29, 2017

Truly a great course if you want to learn about how computers work. If you don't have a CS degree and feel that there are some gaps in your knowledge to fill this course will definitely help you. But the most important thing: This course is great fun.

Highly commended!

By Benjamin K

Dec 27, 2017

This course provides a knowledge foundation and extensible vision to see how computing systems work. I have been following this course to develop a curriculum based on the vision of this course. Excellent contribution to the bring computational literacy to the masses.

By Danny D

Sep 13, 2017

This class was fantastic! It was illuminating, well planned and extremely gratifying. I am a much more knowledgeable computer scientist as a result of taking this course. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to truly understand how low-level computing operates.

By Steve R

Aug 28, 2020

I did this course with my teen-age son. We both were able to build a computer from basic logic components and program it in assembly language. The instructors are clear, the assignments are the right size, and the tools make it so that you can check your own work.

By Markus F P

Jun 29, 2018

A very great course, had lots of fun with the first 5 projects, but sadly wasnt able to write a program for project 6, therefore did it by hand which wasnt that interesting. However, I learned a lot about the functioning of the CPU and the Memory, which is great.

By Sapozhnikov K

Feb 21, 2018

Awesome course, it give me understanding how everything works under the hood. I am grateful to the creators for their work, perfect explanations, interesting and exciting projects, awesome supported materials and software. It was an amazing adventure. Thank you.

By Daniel S

Dec 8, 2019

This class was truly exceptional. I felt like it did an excellent job on conveying abstract concepts and I came away with a working knowledge of very basic computer architecture. I recommend this class to anyone curious about the inner workings of a computer.

By Anubhav B

Oct 26, 2020

From coding an AND gate to a RAM, from being puzzled about bottom-up working of a computer to writing an Assembler....It took me 7 and a half weeks, 73 notebook pages and gazillion brain cells.

Thank you dear professors, Shimon and Noam :)

I learned a lot...

By Ajinkya M

Sep 29, 2019

Really I want to thank Coursera for providing such wonderful knowledge and high-quality course available. The course should be made mandatory to kids, students & engineers. The understanding of the computers is greatly enhanced after completing this course

By Thomas N

Dec 6, 2016

The most amazing online course. I love how it is project based. Everything you learn is straight away applied to building the project and it it made me look at so many things in life differently due to the way it breaks down the concept of abstraction.

By Ion P

Dec 23, 2018

It was a really nice course with very good practical projects. What I really liked was the fact that in the end you will understand how all the electronic circuits inside the CPU will be translated into the lowest level of software inside a computer.

By Huzaifa A

Aug 30, 2020

I think this was an amazing course. Both profs really teach you well and clears your basic concepts about electronic and digital world. It was a great experience learning and building HACK computer which was a dream come true in 6 weeks. Thank you.

By Alexander N

Dec 31, 2017

I took this course out of curiosity and probably some nostalgic feelings. I really like the idea of making CS 101 course that builds your knowledge from ground up. And what can be more exciting than building a computer and writing your own game :)

By INISH M D S

Jun 26, 2020

I'm totally overwhelmed by the power I have after taking this course. From 3 years the question "How computers work?" was wondering in my mind. There is no space for this query in my mind anymore after building a computer from scratch on my own.

By Vytenis N

Dec 21, 2019

This course provides a great and sight-opening introduction to the very basics of computing science. Going from basic parts and seeing the system build up step-by-step gives a sense of accomplishment and understanding that is hard to be matched.

By Anubhav p

Aug 30, 2020

I always wanted such a course where I can learn each and every fundamentals of computer from scratch in small steps. This course is really a fantastic course and I suggest this for all those who are interested in learning how the computer work.

By Krisjanis R

What a great course! Very inspiring also in terms how one can scale a course using automated assignment checking. I would love to join a camp at a IC factory where one could build this for real. Let me know if somebody has a course like that.

By Eric B

Nov 19, 2019

Excellent course. Instructors provide enough guidance for you to do most of the discovery and design on your own. The topics are covered in a logical order. It's a lot of work, but you'll learn a tremendous amount and feel quite accomplished.

By Aniruddha D

Sep 22, 2018

Awesome Course!! This instructors teach all the concepts on building a computer from ground zero and at a very decent pace. This course has greatly improved my understanding of how the different layers interact and work to build a computer.

By Vineeth

Sep 27, 2019

I was a computer science student, still I was not able to make much sense out the theory classes I attended. But this course gives extremely different experience and make it a piece of cake. Now I can correlate many things I have learned.

By Michalis P

Nov 14, 2019

One of the best courses I have taken. I am so excited about this course and the instructors are amazing.

The journey in this first part of the course gave me a lot of intuition about how a computer works under the hood.

100% recommended!!

By Ned P

May 27, 2017

I didn't know what to expect coming into this course but I was really blown away with the quality of the written content as well as the lectures. It really is the perfect course for any engineer wanting to know what goes into their baby

By Cheng W

May 31, 2019

Great design of course content and projects. Personally the class is a fulfilling journey in my exploration of career change. Highly recommend it to STEM background engineers and physicists interested in understanding modern computers.

By Alen V

Mar 27, 2016

The projects/assignments are awesome. Lots of fun. Very clear lectures.

One thing is reading how the Computer works from books/articles. The other is to actually build a working CPU/Computer from nothing but Nand gates. Can't beat that.

By Darek

Mar 16, 2020

This is far the best course I've ever taken part in!

A lot of things that I've been thinking about computers are now clear, theoretical part are supported by practical part what is great.

If I could I would rate this course on 10 stars!