Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

MM

Feb 18, 2017

An excellent course provided by phenomenal professors! Everything is broken down into simple, easily understandable portions, and leaves you with a clear idea how to proceed to solve a given problem.

AG

Jun 10, 2020

I really liked the course when I watched it at the University; it's concise and interesting I liked the Hardware development part specially, since the development of the assembler was full of bugs

176 - 200 of 649 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By Madhavi M

Feb 18, 2017

By André M S

Jun 18, 2020

Lovely learning experience. Engaging and passionate lessons, well-explained concepts and fantastic pacing. The grading was also fantastic; this is the best way to conduct a course of this style.

By Jun Z

Jul 20, 2017

through this course I literally understand how to computer operates and how it is built from a simple chip Nand to a complex system with ROM/RAM/CPU. The course is great! Highly recommend this!

By Sindhoor T

Jul 23, 2019

This is one of the best courses I've ever taken. Simplistic, easy to follow, takes you from Beginner to Advanced at a steady pace. Learned a ton! Thanks a lot for making such a beautiful course

By Leon M W

May 29, 2019

Incredible Course. I've never experienced such an learning experience. This course did not just teach me how computers work, more importantly it taught me how to learn and deal with complexity.

By Jasmine

May 07, 2020

The class is straightforward and the right level of detail to make you feel like you really understand the topics. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to understand how computer hardware works!

By Baxter D

Sep 08, 2016

Fantastic. Quite difficult for me, but I learned the material along the way. Fantastic way to train yourself to think logically and parsimoniously. And the computer knowledge is invaluable.

By burhan a

Jun 26, 2020

fabulous , perfect education....

it is took abaout fully a month of my life , but really it was worth it.

thank you very much coursera and Shimon Schocken and Noam Nisan.

with all my respect .

By Tiancheng X

I had great fun with the projects! The materials illustrate how processors work clearly, without being overly complex. I think it is a nice introduction to computer architecture and systems.

By Jacob K

Aug 15, 2018

Excellently structured course. The projects really make you understand the material well. I can hardly believe you can learn the full architecture of a basic modern computer in one course!

By Austin P

Jun 17, 2017

This course covers the fundamentals of computer architecture in a fun and engaging way. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who has ever had any interest in how computers actually work.

By Supun D K

Sep 16, 2017

Gained a massive knowledge in fundamentals about Machine Language, Assembly Language and Hardware Descriptor Language. Thank you Prof. Nisan & Prof. Schocken for teaching all the sessions

By Rich E

Aug 02, 2017

Definitely one of the better online courses I've taken. Struggled a little bit by the end, so I probably won't go on to part two anytime soon, but I appreciated all the work they've done.

By Giacomo V D

Apr 08, 2016

Very interesting subject. The course is very well organized and clearly explained. The projects are progressively challenging and all of them are engaging. I have learnt a lot of things.

By Jon H

Aug 27, 2017

Great course! The instructors explains the inner workings of a computer in an easy to understand manner. Did not think it was possible to make this material so accessible. Astonishing!

By Michael B

Nov 02, 2019

I loved this course it made me think and hade a lot of fun building my own computer. just a hint the slides are on the site that the course send you too. that will help with tables

By Prabhjyot S

Jul 20, 2017

One of the best course.The first step for anyone interested in what computers are.Easy and can be done by anyone whether its a hobbyst or a computer science/electronics enthusiast.

By Arash O

Nov 03, 2016

This course is awesome and fun and very rewarding. I learned so much about how computer memory works! Pointers make sense now that I understand the basics of lower level computing.

By Mouna K

Oct 08, 2019

The best course I have ever taken. The projects and lectures are so interesting, that I would sit the whole day finishing it. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this. Thank you.

By Jens G

Jan 28, 2017

Very interesting and well-structured course. Manages to explain something very complex by splitting it into manageable sections. I am enrolling in the second part as soon as I can!

By Marcus V M d S

Mar 16, 2018

Awesome course. I learned a lot! The projects were interesting and forced you to think a little differently: you can almost feels the synapses forming in your head by doing them.

By Bandaru K K

Feb 23, 2019

one of the best course i have ever done, thank you so much to the both course instructors noam and simon, they are awesome in the way they designed this course, simple and great

By Aishwarya K

May 03, 2016

Very insightful and awesome ....I am enjoying it !! Great work and efforts from both the professors ....respect ! Can't wait for the next course from NAND to Tetris II ...! :)

By Anders P

Apr 27, 2020

Great course. Building a computer from first principles is an invaluable experience to truly understand how a computer works, and hence what it is capable of doing. Thanks.

By Dan S

Dec 06, 2019

Very nice to be able to create a fully working computer simulation from scratch in just two weeks. A little less in-depth than I would like, but very good content overall.