Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

GT
Oct 26, 2020

This is the excellent course to understand the job seeking process and enhance English skill which is especially related with the job hunting. I recommend to take this course for non-English speakers.

KA
May 3, 2021

I enjoyed this Course English for Career Development and learnt a lot .The instructor were so helpful and proactive that it was easy for me to learn and I was able to reach clear all the assignment ..

101 - 125 of 4,186 Reviews for English for Career Development

By Lender J G H

May 1, 2020

Curso muy practico para aprender nuevas palabras relacionadas con la busqueda de trabajo, como comportarse en las entrevistas de trabajo, como responder las preguntas, que preguntas pueden hacer los entrevistadores en Estados Unidos, como realizar un resumen y una carta de presentacion enumerando nuestras habilidades y para que los empleadores las vean como un beneficio para sus compañias y asi vernos como unos trabajadores idóneos para el trabajo. Me gustaron mucho los videos ejemplos de entrevistas de la semana 5, fueron muy explicativos, entretenidos y divertidos. Espero hagan mas cursos de ingles referentes a otras areas. Saludos!

By Мезенцева А В

Jun 13, 2020

This course has taught me lots of rules for many topics as composition of my personal profile, writing a resume and a cover letter, delivering an elevator speech and passing a successful interview for a job. So, now I can say with confidence that now I know everything about a job searching process and what it includes. I also know how to eliminate mistakes that I may make during the job searching process. In addition, thanks to this course, in the future I will be able to confidently and successfully identify my dream job and get an interview, after which, most likely, my employer will call me back and I will be able to get the job.

By Thorla T

Nov 18, 2020

What I liked most, was the way in which the instructors were very careful to speak clearly and took pauses during their teachings in all the videos, through out the five units. They made it easier for me to understand what they were saying and I was able to take notes. Even the readings were clear and easy to comprehend. Thanks to them, I enjoyed the journey of my course and I am happy that I have now completed it. I anxiously await my certificate and I am looking forward to doing more courses with Coursera. Thanks to all those who made this course a reality. I am better now equipped to attend any interview with boldness.

By YELITZA G

Oct 13, 2020

On my last job of 20 years of service, I had the opportunity and the pleasure of being able to help and collaborates as much as possible in terms of the companion group if one was missing for X reason and there was an important assignment for the company, I by far I was glad I was in charge of completing that part of the work that corresponded to that person who could not attend, and so the company received his report or important work that was due that day.

We always support each other as we work as a team. It did no matter Who, when and how but the important thing is that it was fulfilled for the growth of the company.

By Elvie P

Mar 23, 2021

A well-designed online course. It enhances my English language. Thank you very much to the diligent instructors for sharing their knowledge. Now, I can add this English for Career Development Course as one of my achievements during this time of pandemic even when most of us are at home. Likewise, my gratitude to Coursera for having such platforms and free online courses. You have help millions of citizens around the world in achieving their dreams to obtain good education. May you, Coursera be continued to be blessed in order to help more people aspiring to achieve their goals by enrolling in your courses.

By Neeraj K J

Nov 14, 2017

Hello All,

This course is very good for all, who is searching job. Especially, students/freshers who are in final year and in future search for job, this course is marvelous. It defines what type of resume have to be prepared for freshers/student and peer reviews also interesting part of this course, in which, we can know in some country which type of problems/solutions faced by the job seeker.

Thanks to Professors, University Concerns and Controllers, who have developed such type of course for personal development.

Regards to All including Peer,

Neeraj K Jain

By Rishav R

Oct 15, 2021

Very informative course for someone who wants to improve their communication and writing skills in English for professional development. I thoroughly enjoyed the way the course was structured and taught by two amazing instructors. The course was supported with informative reading materials and the peer-graded assignments encouraged me to put that extra effort to earn good grades. I would like to thank Coursera for recommending this course which taught me to write good resumes, cover letters and practice networking and elevator speeches. Hoping to learn more such courses in the future.

By Julia M

Dec 8, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. With it, I could practiced my English Grammar a lot and I could refreshing many things that I had been forget. I learned a lot about the job search process in the United State and other different countries, with the peers reviews of other students and how like immigrant, I can do to find the job of my dreams. Now I'm planning continue practicing all what I learned and try to study another contents to beefing up my skills and competitiveness. Thank you so much for brought us all these knowledge easy and understandable for non-native English speaker.

By Empress S

I am very grateful for the makers of this course and our instructors from The University of Pennsylvania. You have kindly and effectively relayed your knowledge to me, especially to those who are non-native English speakers. Career counseling is a course requirement for my chosen masters program in a local University here in the Philippines. This course has helped me regain confidence, gave me insights in career development and career counseling, and even ideas from online learning and online teaching. It has been a great learning time for me on this course. Maraming salamat po. <3

By Aashish K M

Dec 4, 2020

I have been looking for these types of course and amazing instructors for a long time. I am the person who don't understand anything quickly but in this platform I felt so easier to understand everything and I believe taking online courses on coursera is 100% worthy. I would like to recommend Coursera learning platform to all of those friends who have some goal and want to learn something even when they don't have time to attend regular classes, this is the only and best platform for you guys.

Thank You so much coursera team to providing such a wonderful experience and knowledge.

By REALINO P

May 15, 2020

Thank you Mr. Brian McManus and Ms. Robyn Turner. At first, I thought my credential will speak for itself and that I do not need to improve my resume but I was proven wrong. This course really helped me a lot in terms of resume making, job search and job application process in general. I wish I could show you how my resume improved and how many companies are now looking on my profile and wanting to have an interview with me. Thank you once again and I hope that a lot of people will be benefited from this course.

-Real Prado, Mechanical Engineer, Philippines

By WAFAA K S

Jun 6, 2020

I am excited to have wonderful learning by joining this course. I hope this knowledge will prove a milestone in the career development of all fellows. I strongly recommend this course to the professionals who want to learn the tools and techniques to start or improve them. I am thankful to the faculty for designing specific course contents and presenting in such way that the learner feels no difficulty in understanding

I participated in this course through Duhok Polytechnic University. So, Please can I be granted a certificate of participation for free

By Kristi R

Jan 30, 2021

This course is a wonderful tool for everyone no matter if you´re just entering job market and preparing your first resume and cover letter or are already working. The whole job search topics has been wrapped into one well structured program which is easy to follow thanks to the videos, control questions, tests, games and assignments. I especially liked the idea that it was required to review also other´s work. This truly gave a key to pay attention to main indicators, but also taught to respectful, constructive and encouraging in the feedback given.

By Devpreet S

Jun 2, 2020

This was very interesting and valuable for me. It helps me how to represent myself to get dream job in job market at international and national level, help me how to build up the social network in the world and how to improve your communication skill to compete and make intention in the crowd in the job market.

I thanks to my Instructors who help me in this regards and share their valuable experience in the lecture. Again thanks to Coursera give the chance to earn another valuable skill that helps me to improve in my professional and personal life.

By Heba A H

Apr 20, 2020

I thought it will be an easy course, repeated information and I will finish it in no time, but what I actually found that this course is very rich with new information, and made me see the CV and interview processes from a different angel, letting me get the new updates of how the process is going, and I discovered that I have an out dated information, which finally led to dramatic change in my CV, and now it look away better than before.

Special Thanks to the amazing professors and for Coursera for giving us such a chance for change

By Shariya M

I really appreciate the content of this course and it gives me different aspects of how I can prepare a resume and cover letter, the Do's and Don't's. I am becoming more confident and able to prepare resumes as per the job requirements, how to build with the professionals the relevant areas, how my small talk can make a big difference, how to grab the attention of the employer through the resume, all I can say every in's and out's is explain here elaborately. Moreover, the instructors of this course deserve a thumbs up from me.

By Jhon A M

Apr 25, 2020

In my opinion this course is amazing because it uses very clear information and its sources are very interesting so i have many comments to recommend this course first one I could learned how I could be successful job seeker second one it gave me a lot of knowledge about how job market works when one employer needs a good candidate so it puts an advertisement to look for it and how i could find it if I am a goos match for it , also it gave good information to realized my self what i want to do in my short future time, thanks

By Amnuaysak T

Jun 29, 2020

One of the good English course I ever attended. I learnt how to properly write resume, cover letter, preparing ourself for a job interview , and norm commonly accepted and practice in the U.S. and many other countries.

University of Pennsylvania and Coursera have created a good course which is useful and beneficial to all job seekers.

Thank you all people concerned to make this course available to many people who need good , constructive, beneficial in finding jobs or even who just want to improve his English language skills.

By Hasan A

Aug 10, 2020

I thoroughly and rigorously loved this course. I'm very glad to have completed this course. I got to learn a lot regarding the job interviews and how to make a professional resume and cover letter. Although this course was simply amazing, it was pretty easy for me. In fact I had no troubles at all completing all the assignments before the deadline. I was expecting more of a challenge. In the future, I'd like to know the difficulty level of a course before enrolling in it. I hope coursera helps make it pretty clear.

By Chrysavgi P

Feb 1, 2020

As non-native English speaker this course helped me to develop certain skills such as following the right steps to job search process, application and interview. In addition to this, I have enriched my English Vocabulary with regards to Career Development and related terms and definitions. One of the things that I liked most was the combination of interactive features and relevant knowledge especially the instructors' videos because they were pleasant and beneficial at the same time. I do recommend this course.

By NAGA V S

Apr 22, 2020

After taking the course ,my perspective view about online courses have changed , the course was made in such a way ,it was simple to learn and understand , i really enjoyed the journey ,my resume is now set to one page ,and I clearly follow the instructions while applying for job interviews , separate resumes are prepared , And ensure covering letter has been sent out for every job application , if required i come back for any clarification

i have put a recommendation of the courses available in my circle .

By Diego S

Sep 15, 2020

That's a good opportunity to increase the writing, understanding, and learning new subjects, sentences and words. Don't underestimate the tittle "English for Career". You really need all of those explanations, even if you are not a job seeker or an employer.

I also could found many specific and important information so different from my country

I am looking forward to the next course made by this institution.

Thank you all, specifically to my teachers Brian McManus and Robyn Turner!

Cheers from Brazil!

By Bojana P

Mar 25, 2018

I am so gratefull for being a part of this great course. As a 24 young person, who is looking for a job, it was so important to learn about job applications,CV-s,cover letters and the most asked questions by employers. All those things i found here, and the most important thing i learned it.

Thanks you for organising this course, and to be a part of professional development of young people.

You are great, and i will continue with the next part, more complex and more advanced on your site.

By Amare A

Jun 4, 2020

The course English for Career development is the most useful to improve the challenge on the dynamic job search. The course bring a lot of learning from the simplest to more challenging move. This course also link with other professionals in the glob with different background to review assignments, and this also a good learning each other. The instructors and their education methodology, language and procedure is very smart and I'm not tired even reading long for this training.

Thanks,

By Tharindu D

Sep 4, 2021

I learned English language and a lot of things related to developing my career within this course. I am truly grateful for Coursera for offering this great opportunity to me. With all my heart, thank you instructors for making this course interesting. This is a truly amazing course for people who want to develop their skills in English language and career development. I recommend this course for everyone who is willing to learn and improve their knowledge on English. Thank you!!!