Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EB
Jul 3, 2020

Thank you for letting us to use this opportunity at this pandemic situation.\n\nI find this course has a lot example which is unstandable and illustration and so efficient for newcomer and job seeker.

DI
Aug 24, 2019

It is the very useful course for learning, this course provides videos for better understanding. A part from that there are exams like quiz, games, video recording, review of classmates work and all..

151 - 175 of 3,751 Reviews for English for Career Development

By SHANNA B

Sep 7, 2020

The overall course is good for a fresh graduate who wants to starts exploring job market because it gives a lot of insight on how to write resume, cover letter and interview process. And for more experienced job seeker, this course might acts as refreshment and additional knowledge on top of what they already experienced of. Recommended for fresh graduate or final-year college student.

By Camila M A

Dec 23, 2020

This course was very useful for me to improve my English. On the other hand, it provides tools of great help when looking for work and immersing yourself in job searches. It also has excellent explanations when preparing your resume, letter of recommendation and preparing for job interviews. Thanks to the "English for career development" team for providing such a comprehensive course.

By Amirah M

Mar 7, 2021

What a pleasure to enroll and finish this course in four weeks. The teachers are exemplary. The content of the videos are clear and delivered in a relaxed and understandable manner. I have thoroughly enjoyed the quizzes, readings and peer-graded assignments. First course I took in Coursera and I cannot recommend it enough. This really gave me the push to start looking for work again.

By xue s

Jul 8, 2020

I have learned a lot from this class. The schedule is reasonable and progressive. Firstly, it taught me how to write a resume and a cover letter. Secondly, it helped me practice making a networking elevator speech. Finally, it showed me how to ask and answer questions in a job interview. Thanks all the teachers for their hard work and I hope this course will benefit more students.

By Trupti D

Jul 1, 2020

I really enjoyed the course ,as it gave me a different perspective. I like the method ,particular.The video,the quiz assignment. Review is a new method i came across. I really didn't know that two types of resume.learned a lot about action verbs.I can keep writing of this course on and on.

I like to do this course as a subject teacher.and I would recommend other to do this course.

By Melissa A

I really had fun taking this course. Unlike others, I am someone who had several years of working experience already. I took this course as a refresher of some sort as I think I what I know about career development is already obsolete. I learned a lot here and I'm very happy to say that my resume looks way better now. The lessons in this course are very useful. Highly recommended.

By Josephine E R

Apr 26, 2017

This was an excellent course and I am glad and honored to have been offered the Scholarship for the Verified Course Certificate, in case this course is re-offered, I am going to suggest everyone to take the opportunity to go through this amazing course. Thanks to Coursera and the Course Instructors for their valuable time and effort to provide us with such resourceful knowledge.

By Hay M L

Jan 14, 2021

It is a very good course for people who are not speaking English as their first language. Lectures videos are really systematic and quiz are really amazing. I really appreciate this course which will help me to take care of my strengths and weaknesses in my previous job searches. In addition, it highlights the grammar points that I need to study in future. Thank you so much.

By Geovanna d A S

Nov 18, 2020

Amazing opportunity for learning more about the process of applying, interview, and other specific requirements for jobs in the U.S. Especially if you're planning to study and work, it was an amazing experience and both teachers are very easy, smooth, and easy to understand.

If you want to learn more about how to apply with confidence in the U.S, I recommend checking it out.

By Rafael P G

Apr 23, 2020

I loved this course and the way the isntructors address the importance of little details that can make a huge difference between getting or not a new dreamed job as the cover letter for example, and I loved the interview example videos, what to do, what not to do, how to propperly answer the questions the interviewer may ask you, in conclusion, how to ace any job interview.

By joseph a t r

Sep 4, 2019

The information in this online course are very significant to all people to enhance and develop their skills and our abilities to use it in a profitable ways and the content of all week are very concluded and full of learning in readings, quiz and lectures this the part which give us a certain knowledge as well as i am thankful to all staff which belong in this institution.

By Chauhan D R

Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much you gave me the course based on financial aid it's amazing and i personally all video contatins like it's wonder and i share my coursera experience also i said you join and learn new things and courses it's really amazing and good today i finished my this course it's totally good and if you are job seeker so must learn this course it's really important.

By Rodolpho M I

Apr 25, 2020

The course is amazing! Congratulations on the course! And thanks so much because it's free! I'm from Brazil and I'm searching for a job here. The process to search for a job here is similar to the US and I could learn a lot of things about what I should or shouldn't do in this process. I could improve my English too and, for me, it's something very important for my career.

By Mayar K

Aug 3, 2020

i do not know what i say because there is nothing to describe this course ,it is very perfect and i pleased my beautiful teachers in this course i will love you forever . thank you

yours, mayar kamal

By Danish K

Apr 12, 2020

I would like to give a complete 5 because of his friendly content and teaching method. Some of things that I liked most are..

• Sudden Come Up of single question between a video lecture

• Games and Assismemts assisted me to review what I have understood

• Special Thanks to both instructors. They are sweet and made my learning effortless by making topic simple and easy :)

By Rishika P

Jul 2, 2020

One of the best course and thank to all. It is the very useful course for learning, this course is well designed and the language is very simple. This course provides reading lessons, quizs, games, question answers and also the main part for the better understanding videos. I get to know about the job search process and how to stand out from the job seekers crowd.

By NAJEM A

Jan 14, 2020

I can't express my great feeling throughout this course ! How much I learned and how much things I found out from this course. Sincerly, It help me a lot to build a strong career in my field.

It worth and deserve all amazing feedback.

I did it for free, but I promise you I will repay it later. Because it merit all kind of support.

By Elena U

Jun 6, 2020

I really enjoyed going through this course and listening to the perfect speech of the American teachers. The course itself was full of useful materials, as well as it was quite entertaining! I had a good laugh when watching a sample job interview with interviewee 1. I want to thank the teachers and those who took part in developing of this course! It was great!

By Luana d S

Apr 30, 2020

It was my first one in coursera. I loved it because they have a lot of manners to teach and reforce the learner. There's a lot of information about the steps that involves from composing a better and clearer resume until you even create more consistency of your capabilities. They also refresh your mind about the job market, updating you. #THANKS for all!!!

By Natalya S

Sep 23, 2020

I loved this course! Now I feel more confident in looking for a job process, writing the good resume and job interview behavior. I haven't known many things and this course helped me to prioritize my qualifications and skills according to the different job descriptions. I do advise people to take this course especially if they want to seek for a job in the US.

By Rohan M

Sep 6, 2017

This is the first course I took on Coursera. The teaching pedagogy is very much practical and is fun with quizzes and real time experiences. To be honest, I've now known the value of details in my work. The instructors are really great, Love you guys for the work that you have done. Looking forward to next course and would definitely recommend my friends here.

By Alex M

Jan 6, 2021

When I start this course I was looking for the answers what I do incorrect during my carrier development and opportunity to get more prospective offers. Now I complete the course and will start the carrier development with new focus and vision to get a new challenge. Some topics might be more focused on the new and progressive things but in general, not bad.

By Anjali S

Jul 13, 2020

Very useful to improve our personality. In this course we have learned about how to write resume with explanations, how to write cover letter and how to face interview I such a formal and polite way with their interviewer. At the end thank you very much coursera and our renowned mentors, I hope we might meet again with the help of these type of nice courses.

By PoovizhiRaja

Jun 9, 2020

"English for career Development" helps me job search process of how to write professional resume and cover letter and applying for job and how to networking people to find jobs as much as Finally how to attend interview to be professional. overview of mine about my career improvement Thanks for Coursera community and course person for improving our life...

By Khánh V

Jun 29, 2018

it's a great course for anyone. The course helps me learn new things about career, know more about how to identify my skills, how to make connection with people in my area, how to make a impressive resume, coverletter and apply for a future job, etc. Thank both of dedicated teachers. Hope you have a great life and have more interesting, valuable courses.