Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

DI
Aug 24, 2019

It is the very useful course for learning, this course provides videos for better understanding. A part from that there are exams like quiz, games, video recording, review of classmates work and all..

EB
Jul 3, 2020

Thank you for letting us to use this opportunity at this pandemic situation.\n\nI find this course has a lot example which is unstandable and illustration and so efficient for newcomer and job seeker.

151 - 175 of 3,239 Reviews for English for Career Development

By Rafael P G

Apr 23, 2020

I loved this course and the way the isntructors address the importance of little details that can make a huge difference between getting or not a new dreamed job as the cover letter for example, and I loved the interview example videos, what to do, what not to do, how to propperly answer the questions the interviewer may ask you, in conclusion, how to ace any job interview.

By joseph a t r

Sep 4, 2019

The information in this online course are very significant to all people to enhance and develop their skills and our abilities to use it in a profitable ways and the content of all week are very concluded and full of learning in readings, quiz and lectures this the part which give us a certain knowledge as well as i am thankful to all staff which belong in this institution.

By Dev R C

Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much you gave me the course based on financial aid it's amazing and i personally all video contatins like it's wonder and i share my coursera experience also i said you join and learn new things and courses it's really amazing and good today i finished my this course it's totally good and if you are job seeker so must learn this course it's really important.

By Rodolpho M I

Apr 25, 2020

The course is amazing! Congratulations on the course! And thanks so much because it's free! I'm from Brazil and I'm searching for a job here. The process to search for a job here is similar to the US and I could learn a lot of things about what I should or shouldn't do in this process. I could improve my English too and, for me, it's something very important for my career.

By Mayar K

Aug 3, 2020

i do not know what i say because there is nothing to describe this course ,it is very perfect and i pleased my beautiful teachers in this course i will love you forever . thank you

yours, mayar kamal

By Danish K

Apr 12, 2020

I would like to give a complete 5 because of his friendly content and teaching method. Some of things that I liked most are..

• Sudden Come Up of single question between a video lecture

• Games and Assismemts assisted me to review what I have understood

• Special Thanks to both instructors. They are sweet and made my learning effortless by making topic simple and easy :)

By Rishika P

Jul 2, 2020

One of the best course and thank to all. It is the very useful course for learning, this course is well designed and the language is very simple. This course provides reading lessons, quizs, games, question answers and also the main part for the better understanding videos. I get to know about the job search process and how to stand out from the job seekers crowd.

By NAJEM A

Jan 14, 2020

I can't express my great feeling throughout this course ! How much I learned and how much things I found out from this course. Sincerly, It help me a lot to build a strong career in my field.

It worth and deserve all amazing feedback.

I did it for free, but I promise you I will repay it later. Because it merit all kind of support.

By Elena U

Jun 6, 2020

I really enjoyed going through this course and listening to the perfect speech of the American teachers. The course itself was full of useful materials, as well as it was quite entertaining! I had a good laugh when watching a sample job interview with interviewee 1. I want to thank the teachers and those who took part in developing of this course! It was great!

By Luana d S

Apr 30, 2020

It was my first one in coursera. I loved it because they have a lot of manners to teach and reforce the learner. There's a lot of information about the steps that involves from composing a better and clearer resume until you even create more consistency of your capabilities. They also refresh your mind about the job market, updating you. #THANKS for all!!!

By Natalya S

Sep 23, 2020

I loved this course! Now I feel more confident in looking for a job process, writing the good resume and job interview behavior. I haven't known many things and this course helped me to prioritize my qualifications and skills according to the different job descriptions. I do advise people to take this course especially if they want to seek for a job in the US.

By Rohan M

Sep 6, 2017

This is the first course I took on Coursera. The teaching pedagogy is very much practical and is fun with quizzes and real time experiences. To be honest, I've now known the value of details in my work. The instructors are really great, Love you guys for the work that you have done. Looking forward to next course and would definitely recommend my friends here.

By Anjali S

Jul 13, 2020

Very useful to improve our personality. In this course we have learned about how to write resume with explanations, how to write cover letter and how to face interview I such a formal and polite way with their interviewer. At the end thank you very much coursera and our renowned mentors, I hope we might meet again with the help of these type of nice courses.

By PoovizhiRaja

Jun 9, 2020

"English for career Development" helps me job search process of how to write professional resume and cover letter and applying for job and how to networking people to find jobs as much as Finally how to attend interview to be professional. overview of mine about my career improvement Thanks for Coursera community and course person for improving our life...

By Khánh V

Jun 29, 2018

it's a great course for anyone. The course helps me learn new things about career, know more about how to identify my skills, how to make connection with people in my area, how to make a impressive resume, coverletter and apply for a future job, etc. Thank both of dedicated teachers. Hope you have a great life and have more interesting, valuable courses.

By E. S M S

Jun 8, 2020

I thoroughly believe that the knowledge gained by this course "English for Career Development" offered by the University of Pennsylvania will be really helpful for my future career development and to polish my English usage in day to day life especially as a non-native speaker of English. So finally I would really gratitude for you to offer this course.

By yasmeen a e h

May 14, 2020

I have A lot of skills, I learned how to introduce my self and market for her on writing an effective resume,and a perfect cover letter.

I learned what is the meaning of networking and how to deal with to gain a job opportunity. Finally I learned how to deal in the interview also what my rights during the interview, also what to do and don't during it.

By Nathalia P d M

Jun 9, 2020

Consegui ter uma boa base nesse curso a respeito de como é um processo seletivo, algumas noções de gramática da língua inglesa também. Desenvolvi habilidades de escrita que eu não estava acostumada, os exercícios são muito bons, os vídeos super didáticos, e os textos complementam bem todo o assunto estudado. É um curso muito legal, vale a pena fazer.

By Ma. C V S

Jul 16, 2019

For the first time in 10 years, I was able to create a one-page resume. I have been using 3 to 4 pages resume and I was never confident if I was doing it right. I am so grateful to University of Pennsylvania for providing us this comprehensive course that will lead our road to success. Special thanks to our two knowledgeable teachers! Till next time!

By victoria r a

Oct 6, 2020

Thank you so much Coursera and the University of Pennsylvania for this opportunity. I have learned so many things and this will all greatly benefit my career. This is life-changing for me. You provide opportunities. You provide opportunities for people like me (a PWD because of Cancer). Thank you so much. This will definitely help improve my resume.

By Roman S

Jan 7, 2018

Great gratitude for such useful course, I had failed some interviews in the past and I wasn't understanding why. I thought it was unfairly. But now I got it. There were my failures. And in the future, I would be prepared job seeker and I would present my qualification from the best side. And I would be more professional during all employment cycle.

By Daria C

Great course for anyone who wants to better understand hiring process in United States and have difficulties in understanding cultural, ethical or some legal aspects. Thank you for the chapter regarding illegal questions on the interview in US, i opened that heard so many of them over past years and i'm happy i now learned how to deal with it.

By MATIAS E O R

Jun 24, 2020

I´ve learnt the proccess to get a good chance to enter to workworld knowing the different strategies that employers use to hire employees. In this course you´re going to learn how can you do a resume, cover letter and a very well job interview. Also you will be able to enter in a networking. It was a really good experience and I recommend it.

By Eugen F

Apr 25, 2020

This cource is especially good for the people, who have not a lot experience with the job seeking process, and also for them, who seeked a job last time a long ago. Also it will be very helpful for them, who is learning englisch right now and did not reach the upper levels in that. Thank coursera for this opportunity, I'm glad you're exists!

By Martha B C

Aug 16, 2020

Nice course!

I really enjoyed this course, I learnt so many new things and I feel more confident to apply for a job.

One of my life goals is to work in a International company and this course was excellent to have a general idea of how different is applying for a job in other countries. Besides, I learnt quiet more vocabulary that I expected.