Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EB
Jul 3, 2020

Thank you for letting us to use this opportunity at this pandemic situation.\n\nI find this course has a lot example which is unstandable and illustration and so efficient for newcomer and job seeker.

DI
Aug 24, 2019

It is the very useful course for learning, this course provides videos for better understanding. A part from that there are exams like quiz, games, video recording, review of classmates work and all..

176 - 200 of 3,766 Reviews for English for Career Development

By E. S M S

Jun 8, 2020

I thoroughly believe that the knowledge gained by this course "English for Career Development" offered by the University of Pennsylvania will be really helpful for my future career development and to polish my English usage in day to day life especially as a non-native speaker of English. So finally I would really gratitude for you to offer this course.

By Estrella P

Apr 24, 2021

Muy buen curso, se aprende nuevo vocabulario y las construcciones gramaticales van avanzando de nivel a medida que también avanza el curso. Lo único que sí deberían mejorar son los exámenes ya que son demasiado fáciles. Los profesores son bien claros y mantienen el interés del alumno todo el tiempo. Muchas gracias, de verdad ha sido un placer hacerlo.

By yasmeen a e h

May 14, 2020

I have A lot of skills, I learned how to introduce my self and market for her on writing an effective resume,and a perfect cover letter.

I learned what is the meaning of networking and how to deal with to gain a job opportunity. Finally I learned how to deal in the interview also what my rights during the interview, also what to do and don't during it.

By Radiffa I

Apr 17, 2021

These courses really help me in preparation for work after I graduate from university, in these courses we are taught the procedures for writing a resume, cover letters and even procedures for interviews. These courses are also very exciting and not boring, the explanations are also easy to understand and the questions given are also easy to work on.

By SILVIA V S C

Dec 3, 2020

Realmente este es un excelente curso, para nivel principiante e intermedio, si usted toma este curso estará mejorando su vocabulario, aprenderá o actualizará estrategias para un próximo empleo, si usted desea integrarse a una empresa multinacional, este curso le ayudará con el proceso de selección y lo mejor es que el curso se realiza de forma amena.

By Nathalia P d M

Jun 9, 2020

Consegui ter uma boa base nesse curso a respeito de como é um processo seletivo, algumas noções de gramática da língua inglesa também. Desenvolvi habilidades de escrita que eu não estava acostumada, os exercícios são muito bons, os vídeos super didáticos, e os textos complementam bem todo o assunto estudado. É um curso muito legal, vale a pena fazer.

By Ma. C V S

Jul 16, 2019

For the first time in 10 years, I was able to create a one-page resume. I have been using 3 to 4 pages resume and I was never confident if I was doing it right. I am so grateful to University of Pennsylvania for providing us this comprehensive course that will lead our road to success. Special thanks to our two knowledgeable teachers! Till next time!

By victoria r a

Oct 6, 2020

Thank you so much Coursera and the University of Pennsylvania for this opportunity. I have learned so many things and this will all greatly benefit my career. This is life-changing for me. You provide opportunities. You provide opportunities for people like me (a PWD because of Cancer). Thank you so much. This will definitely help improve my resume.

By Roman S

Jan 7, 2018

Great gratitude for such useful course, I had failed some interviews in the past and I wasn't understanding why. I thought it was unfairly. But now I got it. There were my failures. And in the future, I would be prepared job seeker and I would present my qualification from the best side. And I would be more professional during all employment cycle.

By Daria C

Great course for anyone who wants to better understand hiring process in United States and have difficulties in understanding cultural, ethical or some legal aspects. Thank you for the chapter regarding illegal questions on the interview in US, i opened that heard so many of them over past years and i'm happy i now learned how to deal with it.

By MATIAS E O R

Jun 24, 2020

I´ve learnt the proccess to get a good chance to enter to workworld knowing the different strategies that employers use to hire employees. In this course you´re going to learn how can you do a resume, cover letter and a very well job interview. Also you will be able to enter in a networking. It was a really good experience and I recommend it.

By Eugen F

Apr 25, 2020

This cource is especially good for the people, who have not a lot experience with the job seeking process, and also for them, who seeked a job last time a long ago. Also it will be very helpful for them, who is learning englisch right now and did not reach the upper levels in that. Thank coursera for this opportunity, I'm glad you're exists!

By Martha B C

Aug 16, 2020

Nice course!

I really enjoyed this course, I learnt so many new things and I feel more confident to apply for a job.

One of my life goals is to work in a International company and this course was excellent to have a general idea of how different is applying for a job in other countries. Besides, I learnt quiet more vocabulary that I expected.

By Rajesh L

May 2, 2020

It is a very nice course I have learned lots. I want to thanks especially, my mentors who provide me, classes, online. through videos, readings, and practice exercises the Coursera website.

Thank you very much, Sir and Madam, Coursera and the UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA, Design a very good course for us.

Yours Sincerely

Rajesh Lal from INDIA

By Yahaira P J

Jun 19, 2017

This course helped me to develop knowledge about the job search in the united states and how to create my resume to bring a good first impression as well as the cover letter. This course also helped me to feel confident using elevator speech to introduce my self in events. Thanks to the teachers for the way that they present each lesson.

By Aamir K

Nov 4, 2016

This course " English for Career Development helped me learn various important topics about how to be successful in Career. It helped me know my strengths and weaknesses. how can I write a proper Resume and cover letter . and I also learned how to face an Interview. This course was very useful and the knowledge it gave me is really helpful

By Jane

Aug 23, 2020

Simple English, using 1.5 speed to finish the videos is better for me, the course goes thought basics of job finding step, very clear and helpful for a beginner! I would say these knowledge are the MUST knew ones when finding a job. It also makes me more confident after the course. Thank you. Wish all the job seeker find their ideal jobs!

By somaya a e r

Jul 13, 2019

it was a very useful experience. I have learned a lot of skills such as writing my own resume, a cover letter, how to overcome my fear about the interview, how to be an organized person in my interview. I'm already searching for a career and have sent my cv to some companies. thanks for that course I have known what is a resume basically.

By SANDRA R

Nov 20, 2016

Hello, I want to send my congratulations and gratefulness to the teachers: Robyn Turner and Brian McManus, as well as to the tecnical team whose amaizing work makes possible the offer of this course. This is my first course in coursera, I enjoyed it a lot and learned many usefull things taht are helping in develop my career. Thanks a lot.

By Shuvrodev B

May 6, 2021

Thank you for such an awesome course. It was very much useful and important for me. I've learned so many important things regarding the job application process. Learnings from this course will definitely help me to get a good job. Thanks, Brian and Robyn as well as the University of Pennysylvania, Coursera, and Commonwealth of learning.

By Néstor S I

Mar 23, 2021

It is a very helpfull course, it explains in an easy way all the steps you will follow to get a job and provides you with the basic knowlegde to do it properly. I would also like to thank both instructors for their good theaching skills and their great understandable speaking english, which makes really comfortable to follow the course.

By Madhav U

Dec 28, 2017

Dear Sir

I am Madhavaiah U from India. I train graduates on Soft skills modules. At the outset, I extend my heartfelt regards to you all for designing and developing such a great course. The course has been a great source for upskilling. I like the most the way you have designed the assignments.

Love to be in touch with you

Thanking you.

By ALEXANDER S N

May 4, 2020

Es un curso magnifico que nos orienta sobre el proceso de enfrentarnos profesionalmente a una solicitud de trabajo desde el inicio cuando te interesa que te contraten para un empleo hasta cuando presentas la entrevista de trabajo.

Lo único que lamento es que quienes no contamos con los recursos para adquirirlo no seamos certificados.

By Călin G C

Feb 23, 2020

5 star course! Very good course. Starting with mentors, very nice. Selected materials, presentation, are very well synthesized. By the way, if you fell from Mars today, tomorrow you followed the course, in 2 days you will be able to apply for a job on Earth. Why? It gives you those little guidelines that make the difference. Success.