Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

R
Jul 20, 2020

AN EXCELLENT COURSE. THE TEACHERS ARE OUT STANDING. THERE IS A CLARITY OF THOUGHT AND EXPRESSION IN THE TEACHERS. EVERY ONE WHO IS SEARCHING FOR JOB SHOULD DO THIS COURSE. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TEAM.

EB
Jul 3, 2020

Thank you for letting us to use this opportunity at this pandemic situation.\n\nI find this course has a lot example which is unstandable and illustration and so efficient for newcomer and job seeker.

176 - 200 of 3,402 Reviews for English for Career Development

By Daria C

Great course for anyone who wants to better understand hiring process in United States and have difficulties in understanding cultural, ethical or some legal aspects. Thank you for the chapter regarding illegal questions on the interview in US, i opened that heard so many of them over past years and i'm happy i now learned how to deal with it.

By MATIAS E O R

Jun 24, 2020

I´ve learnt the proccess to get a good chance to enter to workworld knowing the different strategies that employers use to hire employees. In this course you´re going to learn how can you do a resume, cover letter and a very well job interview. Also you will be able to enter in a networking. It was a really good experience and I recommend it.

By Eugen F

Apr 25, 2020

This cource is especially good for the people, who have not a lot experience with the job seeking process, and also for them, who seeked a job last time a long ago. Also it will be very helpful for them, who is learning englisch right now and did not reach the upper levels in that. Thank coursera for this opportunity, I'm glad you're exists!

By Martha B C

Aug 16, 2020

Nice course!

I really enjoyed this course, I learnt so many new things and I feel more confident to apply for a job.

One of my life goals is to work in a International company and this course was excellent to have a general idea of how different is applying for a job in other countries. Besides, I learnt quiet more vocabulary that I expected.

By Rajesh L

May 2, 2020

It is a very nice course I have learned lots. I want to thanks especially, my mentors who provide me, classes, online. through videos, readings, and practice exercises the Coursera website.

Thank you very much, Sir and Madam, Coursera and the UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA, Design a very good course for us.

Yours Sincerely

Rajesh Lal from INDIA

By Yahaira P J

Jun 19, 2017

This course helped me to develop knowledge about the job search in the united states and how to create my resume to bring a good first impression as well as the cover letter. This course also helped me to feel confident using elevator speech to introduce my self in events. Thanks to the teachers for the way that they present each lesson.

By Aamir K

Nov 4, 2016

This course " English for Career Development helped me learn various important topics about how to be successful in Career. It helped me know my strengths and weaknesses. how can I write a proper Resume and cover letter . and I also learned how to face an Interview. This course was very useful and the knowledge it gave me is really helpful

By Jane

Aug 23, 2020

Simple English, using 1.5 speed to finish the videos is better for me, the course goes thought basics of job finding step, very clear and helpful for a beginner! I would say these knowledge are the MUST knew ones when finding a job. It also makes me more confident after the course. Thank you. Wish all the job seeker find their ideal jobs!

By somaya a e r

Jul 13, 2019

it was a very useful experience. I have learned a lot of skills such as writing my own resume, a cover letter, how to overcome my fear about the interview, how to be an organized person in my interview. I'm already searching for a career and have sent my cv to some companies. thanks for that course I have known what is a resume basically.

By SANDRA R

Nov 20, 2016

Hello, I want to send my congratulations and gratefulness to the teachers: Robyn Turner and Brian McManus, as well as to the tecnical team whose amaizing work makes possible the offer of this course. This is my first course in coursera, I enjoyed it a lot and learned many usefull things taht are helping in develop my career. Thanks a lot.

By Madhav U

Dec 28, 2017

Dear Sir

I am Madhavaiah U from India. I train graduates on Soft skills modules. At the outset, I extend my heartfelt regards to you all for designing and developing such a great course. The course has been a great source for upskilling. I like the most the way you have designed the assignments.

Love to be in touch with you

Thanking you.

By ALEXANDER S N

May 4, 2020

Es un curso magnifico que nos orienta sobre el proceso de enfrentarnos profesionalmente a una solicitud de trabajo desde el inicio cuando te interesa que te contraten para un empleo hasta cuando presentas la entrevista de trabajo.

Lo único que lamento es que quienes no contamos con los recursos para adquirirlo no seamos certificados.

By Călin G C

Feb 23, 2020

5 star course! Very good course. Starting with mentors, very nice. Selected materials, presentation, are very well synthesized. By the way, if you fell from Mars today, tomorrow you followed the course, in 2 days you will be able to apply for a job on Earth. Why? It gives you those little guidelines that make the difference. Success.

By Romanov D

May 23, 2017

This is both a best way to advertise yourself when looking for a job and a great opportunity to summarize your own career path and achievements for planning further career growth. I express my gratitude to the creators, teachers and moderators of this course! My special thanks to the University of Pennsylvania and Coursera! See you!

By Kais M

Nov 1, 2020

A very useful training that helped me to improve my knowledge in the filed of business English, to create a professional CV ,and Cover Letter and to understand how i do to expand my profesional netwrking.

It is my first training with Coursera and for sur it is just the beginning for me.

Thank you very much Coursera for this course.

By Atthaphon K

Jun 18, 2020

I started by knowing nothing and the English for Career Development course contribute me to improve my English skills, learning American cultures, and also the process of job applications. This course provided any levels of English, basic and advanced level which suit every learner. This is one of the most wonderful course ever.

By Joan B

Thank yo so much. I have learned a lot from this course. Now I know exactly how to make my own resume and cover letter appropriately under U.S standard. On top of that, I have learned the proper words, that I should and shouldn't have said on an interview and in a networking.

Again, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!

By Md. K U

Oct 16, 2020

It's a best course to develop english language skills and learn a lot about job process. This course helps me to learn a better english and to know more about job search process, resumes, cover letter, networking and interview. I hope this learning will help me to sharper and better in communication in english and manage a job.

By Francesco S

May 5, 2020

I was not fully convinced about the on-line course efficiency. Day-by-day I lost this kind of bias and more I learnt more I enjoyed this course. Now I have completed it, I think I have acquired an higher confidence both on the job interview path and with my English skills. I am seriously wondering to start a new on-line course.

By Jose A R N

Jun 15, 2017

My name is Jose Antonio from Brazil. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this course to complete my CV in English to the area of Data Science.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Instructors.

Jose Antonio

By Audrey Z

Although I'm not new to applying for job and going though job searching process, but I still learnt a lot in this course, as well as getting useful example for resume and cover letter and how to better prepare for job interviews. The instructors are really helpful and tackle the questions in my mind for a long time. Thank you.

By Minerva O R

Oct 10, 2020

I had a great time relearning basic English and grammar during this Pandemic. I worked with Human Resources Department for almost my entire career, and this helped me improve my craft and to be more professional. This is also necessary in any career or work that I will take on in the future. Thanks Coursera and more power!

By Aasma H

Jul 17, 2020

It was very informative English language course. In this Pandemic, I really appreciate to the organizer who work very hard for this course. I learnt to write good résumé and appropriate interview skills. I really enjoyed to do short assignments and review the other learners. Thank you for the team who did great effort on it.

By Vishal K

Aug 11, 2020

I have learned a very useful knowledge from this course especially about Resume Writing/ Elevator Speech and interview skills tips. This is beneficial course for every students/ job seekers and should undergo with this course to learn effective tips. Thank you to the course instructors for presenting it in a wonderful way.