Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

R
Jul 20, 2020

AN EXCELLENT COURSE. THE TEACHERS ARE OUT STANDING. THERE IS A CLARITY OF THOUGHT AND EXPRESSION IN THE TEACHERS. EVERY ONE WHO IS SEARCHING FOR JOB SHOULD DO THIS COURSE. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TEAM.

DI
Aug 24, 2019

It is the very useful course for learning, this course provides videos for better understanding. A part from that there are exams like quiz, games, video recording, review of classmates work and all..

201 - 225 of 3,260 Reviews for English for Career Development

By Susana B P

Nov 8, 2019

This course has been very useful when mastering the skill needed to begin the job path in all stages. From looking for an occupation, writing your resume, writing a cover letter and finally facing an interview. There is no away for not succeding with the handy tools you give here. It relly worth and I highly recommend it.

By AngelStream 0

Jul 20, 2020

This a wonderfoul course, it helps you so much to improve your English and also allows you to know more about the job search process and how to be ready when you are about to get started with it. I must say it has amazing activities too that make this course dynamic and creative as they include games and more. Excellent!

By KIM S

Aug 1, 2020

I enrolled in Cosera for the first time. It was a very interesting and faithful lecture beyond expectations. They explained very clearly. The video, simple questions, tests, quizzes, and the system of scoring each other's colleagues were very exciting. Thank you very much for Cosera's excellent educational program.

By Ndokwu C N

Apr 6, 2020

This course has helped me gain a lot as regarding the Job search process in various part of the world.

I didn't apply for financial aid at the start of this course though, now i have finished the course and i don't know if i can still get a financial aid to get a certificate as i cannot currently afford to pay for it.

By MARIA I H A

Oct 20, 2020

This course is excellent and has helped me to understand the job search processes as well as to work and develop my skills in English. Thank you because all the activities, the readings, the videos contribute to the professional training process. Thanks to everyone who makes possible and contributes to this course.

By Ariunbold

I thought the course gives a free certificate, I was hoping for some certificate of acknowledgement :)) but no... anyhow, it was a good course. I tried to pay but it does not accept any payments from China unless its a visa card. Why does courser say the course cost 200RMB if they don't accept payments from China?

By Luis F P

Jul 21, 2020

It was well paced and the instructors were very friendly doing their presentations on video. One slide had a grammar error (its). Since this is an English course with emphasis on language, it would be important to review that.

You should do these courses more often. Please hire me for ESL courses :)

Great classes!

By Aslanov R

Apr 15, 2020

First of all, I do thank you for this great course. This course really helped to widen my horizons in the job-search process. By the other hand, thanks to your course I learned new words and very useful English phrases. I this course really helpful and useful and recommend it to everyone who starts to find a job.

By Marcelo A

Oct 22, 2020

After completing this course, I sincerely feel much more confident in the career and development processes, and I am also extremely excited about the Coursera platform, and I intend to keep using this incredible platform to improve my studies and advance both personally and professionally.

Thanks Penn / Coursera

By Thanijtan U

Sep 27, 2020

This course has been a very helpful guide to my job application process. I now have a clear understanding of how a resume and how a cover letter should look like. Furthermore this course has taught me elevator speech tricks for networking; what information should be given, to make it brief, clear, and powerful.

By Sergio D R

Jul 30, 2020

Antes de iniciar el curso tenia conocimientos a cerca de este tema por lo cual no se me hizo dificil cumplir con las tareas asignadas y asimilar el conocimiento adquirido a traves de este curso on-line que definitivamente me ayudo a preparar de una mejor forma mi Resume, gracias por apoyarnos con estos cursos.

By Peethala S B

Jul 10, 2020

The course was well structured and provided inputs for essential for job search, resume writing and facing interviews.

The content was easy to understand as the facilitators were very good in driving the point home.

The tasks, quizzes and assignments were challenging and also easy due to the instruction provided.

By Sebastiao S

this Course helped me, to applied the Proper terms in a Correct Format, and understand the behavior that a Job Seeker is required to Have, Thanks very Much Penn University and both Instructors. Yet also Appreciate Coursera for Putting Together such an easy platform for a Person to Learn.

Regards,

Sebastiao Sala

By Carjoline G

Nov 12, 2016

This course is a must for job seekers. With my experience, this had given me a lot of information and honed my skills in English for developing my career. Thank you so much to the Coursera community, especially to the University of Pennsylvania and to our remarkable teachers- Mr. Brian McManus and Robyn Turner.

By Facundo G R

I find this course interesting, easy and a great way to improve your English if you're not a native American. Otherways I recommend it to people who didn't have jobs or are looking for his 1st job because it helps you to understand the selection process and give you many tips to get the job you're looking for.

By MANISH L

Apr 29, 2020

i had a great experience learning the course, all the sources including articles, games, quizzes and videos provided me a better understanding of the course and how the industry and job search process exactly works. A big thanks to our instructor Robyn Turner, Brian Mcmanus and Coursera. # KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

By Clara G

Jun 23, 2020

It is really wonderful to know, how is the process in the US for Jobseekers, and how to prepare a great resume, and how to highlight my skills and qualifications with a proper cover letter, learn about small talk, and elevator speech, and the Do's and dont's in an interview. Really good experience. .Thank you

By Faridullah i

May 3, 2020

Actually, i have attended various courses in the title of improving professional skills but i can say this with great confidence that this course is unique and unquestionable. It really helped me improve my English skills along with professional skills.

Thanks alot my dearer instructors and at all coursera.👍

By Antony B

Oct 6, 2020

Hello everyone,Today I want to share with you my own experience in this course, It was a great opportunity to grow myself and improve my skills and knowlegde this course is too complete have the necessary information and capacity of the teachersto facilitate your learning. Luck next students.

YOU CAN DO IT.

By Sai A

Nov 5, 2020

i feel very confident with resume, cover letter, small talks and interviews. The instructors explained everything clearly and effectively. The time spent attending this course is the time well spent. I highly recommend everyone who is very to new to resume, cover letter and interviews to take this course.

By Bassel A H

Oct 21, 2020

Great instructors and course with multiple interesting quizzes and interactive games that are vital for: understanding proper English, professional writing, how to make your own CV or Resume, how to write cover letters, and how to interact with the working community to apply and get the most suitable job.

By SUDIPTA D

Jun 29, 2020

It is totally incredible . People who are afraid of speaking English , even to whom English is not so understanding easily . The way it helps anyone who is may be weak before English is gonna be Native English speaker . I'd like to thank Wharton , University of Pennysylvania . Special Thanks to Coursera .

By Zachariah S

Jul 8, 2020

This is a great course, i have learned a lot. It provided the opportunity to know the difference between resume and cover letter. I am very confident that my next job application will be a success because i have the necessary skills and knowledge on how to conduct and prepare myself for a job interview.

By Joice M

Sep 6, 2020

It is an extraordinary course. You have a lot of informations about the job search process in USA and the ways you must act and to in order to stand out. You also learn about skills and ways to discovery yours. You learn the content and practice at the same time, it is very dinamic. I loved the course!

By Harsh T

Course structure, content, Speaker, Resources are awesome. I learned many things which will indirectly impact on us. Thank you very much for such a beautiful and very helpful Course. I would like to tell that if You can add more quiz and reading stuff for practicing and reading than it will be perfect.