Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

AG

Oct 08, 2020

This course is a very good overview for people beginning their studies of dogs and cats. Pertinent videos and additional resource suggestions provide further opportunities to study more details.

401 - 425 of 436 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Arifa K A Q

Apr 14, 2020

Good course. Leaned a lot about cat and dog behavior and how to deal with them in the way that makes they feel easy.

By Rene A P R

Sep 01, 2019

good design of the course. Former professionals and technicians involved good!!

sound of videos can be improve

By Ruba K

Jan 29, 2020

I have learned a lot from this course. I hope to see more of MOOC with some specialisations for cats.

By Seyeon L

Apr 13, 2020

It was informative more than I expected. I'm happy there's a course that I can learn about cats.

By Christian C

Oct 01, 2017

Very good basic overview of the best ways to socialize and best raise your cat or dog!

By Mary L B

Apr 17, 2018

This was a fun course, and my little dog and 2 cats hope that I learned something.

By Diana B

May 08, 2020

This was kind of fun to learn more about cats and dogs and the gestures they do!

By Vyachaslav G

Sep 03, 2017

Nice. But I still think that there is a lot of extra info in this course

By Deasúnaigh Ó h

Dec 13, 2018

Very interesting course and well informed and enthusiastic tutors.

By Diana C

Aug 13, 2020

very informative and would consider retake it in near future!

By Megan Y

Apr 30, 2017

This course was good. It was great to refresh knowledge.

By Wk W

Jun 29, 2020

Very informative course with good videos and delivery!

By Maria L

Apr 25, 2017

Very good course, especially for the (new) pet owner!

By Veronica S

Jun 25, 2020

Basic information, but still useful.

By Prajakta

Jun 20, 2020

like the course,.

very informative.

By maryanne e

Oct 06, 2020

great course! really enjoyed it!

By Richard K

May 23, 2017

thanks

By HARSHIT S

Mar 19, 2018

i came here after putting aside my firm belief in the alpha theory as far the dogs are concerned, totally fresh minded, zero ground. And i have to say i do agree on a lot of things discussed here. I knew nothing about cats, so this was a largely beneficial course in that field. There is a lot of information in this course on the nature of cats (loved those portions). Dog portion of the course is good, but not the best. Thanks a bundle for this!

By Jasmine K

Sep 26, 2020

The topics can be rather boring and very directed towards UK residents. It had little information that was useful for anyone outside of the UK when it came to resources. Most of the information was basic info all pet owners should know before getting a pet. If that is what you want this is the right course. If you want to learn about pet behavior and proper training this is not the course.

By Valérie O

Jan 22, 2020

module très intéressant mais parfois contradictoire sur le bien être animal (dressage/éducation) beaucoup de confusion cela vient peut etre de la traduction en français n'est pas très bonne.

By Nikkole P

Apr 21, 2020

very interesting, learned a lot of important things, but the course was not very challenging. I was able to complete the course in one day.

By Kate C

Apr 23, 2017

The content was inconsistently delivered and the topics disorganized. The content was excellent, although a bit repetitive at the end.