Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

LD

Apr 06, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. The lectures were very informative and I learned a lot from this course. I definitely recommend this course for anyone who is interested in dogs and cats. :)

201 - 222 of 222 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Mary L B

Apr 17, 2018

This was a fun course, and my little dog and 2 cats hope that I learned something.

By Vyachaslav G

Sep 03, 2017

Nice. But I still think that there is a lot of extra info in this course

By DESMOND O

Dec 13, 2018

Very interesting course and well informed and enthusiastic tutors.

By Megan Y

Apr 30, 2017

This course was good. It was great to refresh knowledge.

By Maria L

Apr 25, 2017

Very good course, especially for the (new) pet owner!

By Richard K

May 23, 2017

thanks

By HARSHIT S

Mar 19, 2018

i came here after putting aside my firm belief in the alpha theory as far the dogs are concerned, totally fresh minded, zero ground. And i have to say i do agree on a lot of things discussed here. I knew nothing about cats, so this was a largely beneficial course in that field. There is a lot of information in this course on the nature of cats (loved those portions). Dog portion of the course is good, but not the best. Thanks a bundle for this!

By Valérie O

Jan 22, 2020

module très intéressant mais parfois contradictoire sur le bien être animal (dressage/éducation) beaucoup de confusion cela vient peut etre de la traduction en français n'est pas très bonne.

By Kate C

Apr 23, 2017

The content was inconsistently delivered and the topics disorganized. The content was excellent, although a bit repetitive at the end.

By DEBOLINA C

Sep 11, 2018

Good course content but a bit repetitive at times. Nat, Heather and Hayley are amazing!

By Vicki H

Aug 25, 2018

A few bits of new information, but much of this course was already known and practiced.

By Roslyn M

Feb 02, 2019

Some interesting information, but most of it was very basic.

By Guillem

May 17, 2019

Too many words to explains so little content.

By Chuting Z

Feb 08, 2020

Not worth the price, expensive

By Ray Q

Aug 22, 2019

The more I get into this, it is nothing like I expected. Also very hard to understand (too quiet) especially the veterinarian. Also, what am I supposed to get out of this?

By Calvin C

Jan 04, 2018

I suppose it is okey, but it is not what I was really looking for

By roca

Jun 23, 2019

a little too simple i hope more informations

By Alexis F

Mar 22, 2019

I really did not enjoy this course and am so disappointed that I didn't. I wanted to learn something new about cats and dogs, but I feel like a lot of this was common knowledge. Maybe I am just more advance than I thought. I think this is a great course for a first time pet owner, but not someone who has had a pet for a few years. Also, I feel like the views shared here are sometimes extreme and I felt that having a brachycephalic dog, I was almost marked as a someone contributing to the problem of the breed.

By Hellas F