Back to Chemerinsky on Constitutional Law – Individual Rights and Liberties

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chemerinsky on Constitutional Law – Individual Rights and Liberties by University of California, Irvine

5.0

Chemerinsky on Constitutional Law: Individual Rights and Liberties will highlight the construction and interpretation of the U.S. Constitution through the centuries with an emphasis on protections of individual liberties and the evolution of equal protection. You'll learn the history behind the Constitution, cases that formed important precedent, and how changes in interpretation have been dependent on shifts in cultural and political climate as well as the composition of the Supreme Court. In this course we will investigate the protection of individual rights and liberties and take a look at what rights are and are not protected and investigate several important shifts in jurisprudence. We'll begin by examining the structure of the Constitution's protection of individual rights. We'll then examine the circumstances under which, various rights and liberties can be regulated by the federal, state, and local government. We'll examine when the government can permissibly treat people unequally and when it can't. In our final two lectures, we'll take a close look at what is probably the most famous amendment to the Constitution, the First Amendment. Join me as we look at the questions both raised and answered by the Constitution and those that interpret it! By the end of this course, you should be able to: - Describe the individual liberties protected by the Constitution and account for the history and structure of their protection - Illustrate compromises found in the Constitution by citing examples and historic background - Articulate the importance of key cases such as Brown v. Board, Lemon v. Kurtzman, and Lochner v. New York - Explain how the outcome of cases is often dependent upon the current cultural and political climate as well as the composition of the court by citing particular cases and important shifts in the court's jurisprudence - Assess the relative suitability of various approaches to constitutional interpretation and analysis...

NB

Oct 20, 2017

Thanks to the excellent presentation of the course material I have acquired an idea of my own regarding the subject of Constitution and its purpose. Constitution is a remedy for moral turpitude.

LS

Dec 12, 2018

Very informative and told in a very easy way. The professor is excellent to show examples and explain points so the meaning of the Constitution becomes less difficult to understand

1 - 17 of 17 Reviews for Chemerinsky on Constitutional Law – Individual Rights and Liberties

By lea s

Dec 12, 2018

By Mayrine F

Dec 30, 2018

I was incredibly excited to be able to study the Constitution of the United States, and I am so humbled to be able to do so!

By MAJID K

Feb 01, 2019

I really thankful to our mentor Sir, Chemerinsky, who has left no stone upturned to deliver at his maximum, along with it, I am highly thankful to coursera to give me this sort of wonderful learning experience. It definitely enriched me with knowledge, skill and exposure.

By Bill P

Sep 20, 2018

This is part 2 of Professor Chemerinsky’s course on Constitutional Law. Both were excellent and I would very much like to go foward with additional courses in law from UC Irvine. His experience in the practice of law and the Supreme Court cases he argued were tremendously helpful.

By Neringa B

Oct 20, 2017

By Iris S

Jul 29, 2017

DEFINITELY TO TAKE if interested by American law...For now, I'll audit the 1st part.

By Vi T

Jul 05, 2017

The subject matter has not always been the easiest to learn, even for law students. Yet, being explained by Prof. Chemerinsky, everything became clear and comprehensible. I would recommend this course to all of those who want to know more about the rights and the principles which our nation rests its values upon, as well as to those who wants to learn about civil liberties and individual rights from all over the world.

By Stephen B

Jul 04, 2017

A necessary companion to Chemersky's Constitution I course!

By Jovita D L

Dec 11, 2017

Loved the informative lectures. Hated the gavel. Didn't have time to stay for the assignments but looking forward to reading 'The Conservative Assault on the Constitution' when I have a chance. Thanks for your efforts.

By Marat P M

Jul 05, 2017

A really wonderful course of one one the most brightness minds of the Constitutional Law in the World!

By Hilde K

Jan 25, 2017

The course was interesting and well presented. The only drawback is that if you are not pursuing a verified certificate you cannot submit the quizzes or the peer assignments. Even so, I would still take another course offered by Prof. Chererinsky.

By Virginia C

Jul 15, 2017

Fantastic course. Interesting subject and great lecturer. I learned a lot and would take any course from Dr. Chemerinsky.

By Pete H

Jun 03, 2017

Great course content and prese

By Robin B

Jul 13, 2017

Excellent!

By Angela R

Apr 02, 2017

I thought that this was a fabulous course. It went beyond the standard coursework I had on Constitutional Law in law school with some different cases than I had read before. It really helped to have someone who had real life experience before the Supreme Ct teaching the course rather than someone who had gone from practice experience to a university position pretty quickly. I highly suggest both parts of this course.

By Sher S

Apr 27, 2017

Excellent. Continues lectures on American Constitutional law and covers freedom of speech (in its many forms) and freedom of religion. I paid for this courses as a donation to the school, professor, Coursera though I knew I would be unable to complete the exams to get certification. Though I did get a certificate for Course 1 in this duo of courses. I would like to see a donation box for each course, if you want to contribute but cannot take exams. I want to financially support Coursera et al.

By barbara

Mar 19, 2019

Erwin Chemerinsky is an amazing teacher, interesting, passionate, easy to follow and very clear in his teaching.

Just notice that the transcription of the lectures are not precise and there is a lot of mistakes.