Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS

Jul 31, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

CL

Oct 07, 2016

Fantastic course if you're just starting out in the world of chickens. I feel that I gained vital knowledge which has boosted my confidence in my abilities as a back garden hen keeper.

101 - 125 of 152 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Edward M G

May 06, 2019

This has been a very interesting course, I never imagined that the behavior of the chickens was so complex. 100% recommended this course.

By Priyanka F P

Apr 14, 2019

Excellent technical information!

By Susan E

Mar 26, 2019

Excellent course, very informative & well presented

By Carolina M B

Mar 25, 2019

Very well designed!

By Elaine G

Jun 04, 2019

I have a small flock of backyard chickens. I found your course to be very informative. I also felt that I could trust what I was reading, instead of relying on word of mouth and the internet. My hens thank you for educating their keeper.

By Ricardo E M E

Jul 01, 2019

Chicken Behaviour and Welfare was excellent and I learned a lot, thank you very, very much!!

By Melanie S

Jul 31, 2019

By Lisa L

Aug 02, 2019

Fantastic, detailed and mindfully planned course serving all those who connect their lives with the chicken ones. Very pleased with professional work performed by a very welcoming lector + finest extra interviews. I'd say that an additional week showing the basics of maintaining a proper small chicken barn or diving a bit deeper into organic chicken farming would make it even more great and useful. Warmest thanks anyway, couldn't help finishing the 5 weeks course in actual 2 - that fascinating it was.

By Annie P

Aug 05, 2019

This course was excellent. Brought knowledge about chicken, raising them and their welfare issues.

By Patricia P

Aug 06, 2019

So very informative!

By Tyler F

Aug 14, 2019

Great overall introductory information.

By Maria C

Aug 11, 2019

Very informative!

By Noelle R

May 07, 2019

As a seasoned exotic poultry breeder, I honestly didn’t expect to learn much from this but gave it a go anyway. Much to my surprise, I learned a ton and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to any and all poultry owners, regardless of the size of your flock. Both you and your birds will greatly benefit from this class. It takes a lot of the guess work out of good poultry husbandry. - Noelle Reagan, Native Colors Exotics, Wisconsin, USA

By Muhammad A Y

Aug 20, 2019

I am an Animal Science student with specialization in Animal Nutrition and I found this course perfect with clear voice and focused theme material. just excellent!

By Erick F M C

Sep 04, 2019

Is a very complete course, Im a student of veterinary medicine in Colombia so is very helpful to see how the welfare is managed in develop countries

By Shannon R

Sep 19, 2019

This was a great intro course for someone interested in chicken behavior and welfare. Although geared more towards commercial farming, chicken hobbyists will still learn important things about keeping chickens.

By Maria S S C

Nov 25, 2018

Very nice introductory course! I would like another that goes more deeply into anatomy, physiology and pathology in production chickens.

By Diego F R D

Feb 15, 2019

Great information i learned a lot. Thanks everyone

By Julián C

Mar 01, 2019

Me fue de muchísima utilidad para mi proceso de enriquecimiento en mi carrera de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, gracias a que abarca todos los aspectos básicos que acarrean un adecuado bienestar y el consiguiente rendimiento de las aves en los sistemas de explotación existentes. Lo único que echo en falta es más imágenes y/o vídeos explicatorias, en vez de ver a la experta en el área hablando la mayor parte del tiempo.

By Zelal ِ A

Sep 08, 2018

The course is fun with valuable content but it needs more illustrations, Talks about behaviors in general but would be desirable if there is more expansion in commercial farms.

By Melissa L

Aug 19, 2018

Informative. However sometimes it was hard to hear the lecture over the chicks. I would have also liked a bit more photos or videos of what was being talked about instead of a video of the lecturer

By Thirza v K

Nov 17, 2017

I love chickens and i'm very happy to know a bit more about the process. I also admire how objective this course handles the subjects, even if they are ethically sensitive.

By Kirsty W

Jul 23, 2016

Can be taken by anyone with an interest in chickens! Good references and interesting variety of topics!

By Nina T

Mar 21, 2018

Interesting course that covers all kinds of aspects related to keeping chickens. The lectures are clear, and supplementary articles are provided for those interested.

By Marian v d K

Apr 18, 2017

I really enjoyed the course. I hope to see more animal specific behaviour and welfare courses in the future.

This course mostly covered parts of the poultry industry, I would have enjoyed it even more if non commercial farming was included, like chickens at home or at the children's farm.