Back to Chimpanzee Behavior and Conservation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chimpanzee Behavior and Conservation by Duke University

Chimpanzees are one of our closest living relatives, yet almost nothing was known about their behavior in the wild until Jane Goodall started her groundbreaking study of the chimpanzees of Gombe, Tanzania in 1960. This study continues today, following the same chimpanzee families that Jane Goodall first encountered over 55 years ago. Guided by three course instructors who have lived and worked with the Gombe chimpanzees, you will learn how Goodall’s early discoveries changed our view of human uniqueness. By completing the course, you will gain a new appreciation of the deep similarities between chimpanzees and humans in intelligence, tool use, hunting, personality and social relationships, as well as some key differences. You will learn how chimpanzees interact with their environment and how their behavior is influenced by ecology, as well as the severe conservation challenges they face today. And you will employ your new knowledge of chimpanzees to construct a persuasive argument for their protection. This course is open to everyone interested in learning more about these fascinating and complex beings. Knowledge of high-school level biology is beneficial but not required. Please keep in mind, however, that the content of this course will cover all aspects of chimpanzee life, including scientific discussion of sexual and aggressive behaviors....

AK
May 8, 2020

I knew some about chimpanzees, but this just furthered my love and knowledge even more. The course was clear and easy to follow. You get what you put into the course, so take the take and learn!

JJ
Apr 10, 2019

A very interesting overview of chimpanzee behavior, ecology, and preservation. This course makes you want to go to Africa and spend at least some time working with chimpanzee studies.

26 - 50 of 70 Reviews for Chimpanzee Behavior and Conservation

By stephanie a

Feb 23, 2021

Good, interesting. I liked how you involved us in monitoring real footage and how you made it warm and personal. My only question is why are there no male researchers? thank you for these great 5 weeks!

By Ashley K

May 9, 2020

By Raquel D H

Jun 3, 2020

Uno de los que mas he disfrutado en esta plataforma, se aprenden muchísimas cosas que normalmente desconocemos y te incentiva mucho a leer sobre Jane Goodal y sus estudios sobre el tema.

By Eva M G

Sep 12, 2020

Me ha encantado, he aprendido nociones básicas sobre la vida, comportamiento y conservación de los chimpancés, de un modo muy ameno y llevadero. Lo recomiendo y estoy muy agradecida.

By JITHU J L

its a very good course.the lectures are simple,the syllabus is easy and moreover it's very helpful in understanding about chimpanzee behavior and welfare

By Abby S

Oct 11, 2020

This course taught me so much about chimpanzees in a very interesting way. There were also a lot of resources, and the professors were so informative!

By Megan H

Aug 25, 2020

Loved this course. Very informative and easy to take in. Video lengths were great so they kept your attention. Also enjoyed the final assessment too.

By lydia f

May 4, 2020

This was a really great course! Gave a detailed overview of the ecology, behaviour and conservation of the gombe chimpanzees. Would recommend!!

By Fiona L

Sep 25, 2019

Really well put together, lots of fascinating insights into our fellow primates - highly recommended!

By Willow C

Sep 9, 2020

All of the professors were very knowledgeable and experienced in the field of evolutionary biology.

By Diego R I A

Aug 12, 2020

This course is super useful even if you´re not going to pursue a biological, or a vet. degree.

By Michael J P

Feb 21, 2021

I acquired a wealth of knowledge from this course. It was well written and presented.

By Jennifer M

I absolutely enjoyed this course. I learned so much about chimpanzee behavior

By Marian A

Jan 23, 2020

Very useful and attractive course I loved every minute spent during learning

By Amish D

Jul 4, 2020

gave me a basic understanding of the field. a very well structured course

By marc e t

Sep 23, 2019

I like it very much¡ the next cours about gorillas anb orangutans please

By shreya r

Jan 21, 2021

Thoroughly enjoyed the course!! It was fun, informative and inspiring!

By Cristy T B

Jul 22, 2020

Wonderful, I learned many new things. I loved each part of the course

By Etienne C

Apr 13, 2020

Fantastic course, many thanks to the instructors for their hard work!

By Sylvie A

Sep 28, 2020

Loved it. I hope there will be more primatology classes offered.

By Ariel G

Dec 12, 2020

It´s a good experience and you can learn a lot of about chimps!

By Clane S

Excellent Information to start off in the work of conservation.

By Vivian L

Nov 24, 2020

The course was well structured, interesting and informative.

By Bronwyn B C

Aug 21, 2020

I learned a lot about chimpanzees and Jane Goodall!

By Ananth R

Apr 11, 2020

Really inspired me to help in primate conservation