Back to Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics by University of Cape Town

If you’ve ever skipped over`the results section of a medical paper because terms like “confidence interval” or “p-value” go over your head, then you’re in the right place. You may be a clinical practitioner reading research articles to keep up-to-date with developments in your field or a medical student wondering how to approach your own research. Greater confidence in understanding statistical analysis and the results can benefit both working professionals and those undertaking research themselves. If you are simply interested in properly understanding the published literature or if you are embarking on conducting your own research, this course is your first step. It offers an easy entry into interpreting common statistical concepts without getting into nitty-gritty mathematical formulae. To be able to interpret and understand these concepts is the best way to start your journey into the world of clinical literature. That’s where this course comes in - so let’s get started! The course is free to enroll and take. You will be offered the option of purchasing a certificate of completion which you become eligible for, if you successfully complete the course requirements. This can be an excellent way of staying motivated! Financial Aid is also available....

AM

Dec 16, 2018

Klopper MD is a great teacher. There are other courses from another top universities about this topic, but I think this is my favourite. This the shortest in duration and most comprehensive among all.

LK

Jul 29, 2017

Great course!! it is gonna provide you a good foundation in clinical studies if you want to start your career in clinical research! Clear explanation and comprehensive case study! highly recommended!

476 - 500 of 537 Reviews for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

Jul 26, 2017

This is a true course of statistics for beginner especially tailored for health professional. I learn so many basic terms and concept behind the statistics. The 2 to 10 minutes videos combined with keynote are really helpful for understanding. However, I do wish there is similar course that use longer time to include more depth in all aspects.

By Husam E A M I

Jul 22, 2016

have learn too much interesting concepts and perspective regarding interpreting the results of an statistical analysis, also knowing how to chose the perfect statistic tool for a given data set>>>>really enjoyed to have such course with that excellent explanation

Note:can you guys make a better presentation image to visualize hard concepts.

By Saleh N S A M

Jun 07, 2020

Good overall course but I felt a bit lost during the last two weeks of the course as I felt that it was not explained clearly by the tutor. Also because of the tutor accent it was hard at times to keep following what he says so I had to refer to the reading sections in order to understand what he was saying.

By KAMESHWAR R P

Nov 26, 2019

This is a very nice introductory course to clinical research with explanation about various research methodologies and statistical tests and which test to use in what scenario. It makes many concepts clear and lays a good foundation for pursuing further interests in the area of clinical research.

By Elena S T

The course is broad and covers information pertaining to different types of clinical studies, the difference between them, and statistical analysis associated with such studies. Good overview for beginners and a refresher for people that are familiar with either clinical studies or statistics.

By Peerada N

May 16, 2017

Overall okay, but touches each of the subjects only at the basics. Makes you unable to understand the different types of research and what tests/assessments to use for different kinds of data. Additional self study is required, as they will not go deep into the maths and actual calculation.

By Luigi M

Apr 18, 2020

my personal opinion is that the course is quite well designed, very finely trimmed in many aspects. The only thing I would say is that possibly the course should focus slightly more on which statistical test one should choose. This is the only thing, otherwise it was an outstanding course!

By morgan g

Sep 01, 2017

The course content was good but I wished for a little more hands on experience with the statistics. I particularly like the optional excel lessons and wish there were more of those. Perhaps add exercises in excel or other spreadsheet software to reinforce the learning?

By John W

Nov 18, 2017

Very good overview of the basics clinical study design and data analysis. I feel that sections 5 and 6 were dealt with a little cursorily with very brief mentions of the different types of statistical analyses. That's why I rated the course 4 stars instead of 5.

By Erum S

It is a very helping course and made maximally convenient in terms of time management. Sessions were both at the beginners level in early weeks but became little bit complicated later well this is the part of the study overall good helping station for us.

By Kathryn M

Mar 04, 2019

Great intro or review for healthcare workers. A little more info and more examples would have been appreciated for all the statistical tests in week 5. Paired t-test is not mentioned in the notes or videos and yet appears in a number of the quizzes.

By Dennis S

Aug 19, 2019

Dr Klopper is clear in his explanations and has a good grasp of statistics. This course really summarizes the information on statistical tests, but helps introduce you to the terminology and overall meaning of medical studies.

By SAKSHI S

May 14, 2020

I really like this course. Many of the concepts in the course, I previously didn't understand. But now I know them. I think if they will add some mathematical formula also. then I think this is the best course on Coursera.

By Padmaja

Jul 31, 2019

Prof Juan Klopper was good with his explanations and provided examples for us to understand. This course truthfully taught the concepts involved in clinical research without having to memorize the mathematical formulas.

By Katharina G

Apr 17, 2020

was a really good course, I have wished to learn more details about statistical tests such as cox regression, fine and gray model, etc., but this would have made the course even longer. Thank you for that great course!

By Kaela H

May 01, 2020

Very impressed with the platform, and did a great job with high-level explanation of clinical practice based statistics. Will definitely make me more confident in interepreting research articles I read from now on.

By Tarek N

Apr 08, 2016

i found the course very helpful and informative and i t helps to critically read and interpret research papers. my only take on it is that there was no responses to questions that i asked the lecturer

By Jennifer P

Aug 04, 2017

If it were just a little longer it would work to count as the Clinical Research requirement for the the IBLCE exam. I learned a lot but that was the real reason I took the class!

By Dr. I A

Nov 24, 2017

This is a excellent first step in learning the basics of clinical research. I strongly recommend beginners like me to take this course before doing your own research work.

By Rogers L L

Apr 09, 2020

Great material

I recommend to everyone in clinical research and doctors who a constant reading research articles, it a great way to understand how the results were obtain

By Rephaim M

Apr 18, 2017

Good course, most of the concepts were taught well. It enabled me to develop a more intuitive understanding of clinical research and statistical concepts used

By M. A R

It was really helpful to understand the clinical research in better way. The short length but succinct lectures were just amazing!

By Andrea M

Aug 17, 2018

This course gives general informations about the medical statistics.

It's easy to follow and I found it very useful

By Mohamed S A A

Mar 22, 2019

it is very helpful course can improve your knowledge in research process and also make you practice

By Jelizaveta P

Mar 20, 2019

It was very informative. Made me understand some things deeper. Also motivated to read a bit more.