Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

CC
Jun 4, 2020

I would highly recommend this course as I found it well-structured and helpful. After studying all the materials, I gained a great amount of knowledge in designing and interpretating clinical trail.

OS
Sep 18, 2019

This course would be most useful to the participant if pursued within a short time-frame, of maximum of 6 weeks. Both lecturers were clear and good communicators. I would take more of their classes.

51 - 75 of 584 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Paulius P

Jul 15, 2019

In the tests, when you get the wrong answer it would be nice to get the reason why is that wrong. Sometimes it is obvious, other times not su much. Apart from this little nitpick, I really liked the lectures and the structure. The course provides enough background to continue on reading/studying the topic.

By Tabassum S

Apr 4, 2021

Coursera organisation is wonderful.Iam highly satisfied with lecture ,lecture notes and above all evaluation system. Only one thing comes to my mind that after putting much effort in solving assignments,will this certificate worth enough to enroll me in aberdeen university in biochemistry department

By Rodolfo V D

Jan 9, 2020

Excelente curso acerca del diseño de ensayos clínicos. Se podría considerar como un curso inicial para adentrarse al mundo de la investigación. No se toman en consideraciones nociones de bio-estadística, por lo cual habría que complementarlo con otro curso para hacer el conocimiento de mas global..

By Erick M J T

Aug 26, 2020

Un curso excelente, bien diseñado y con gran cantidad de información relevante acerca de Investigaciones Clínicas.

Todos los recursos multimedia proporcionados son de gran calidad y además incluyen información acerca de donde buscar mas conocimiento o profundizar lo aprendido en el curso.

By NevineTaymour

Jul 14, 2019

This a top high quality well organized course. It helps many researchers in the medical and dental fields understand the designs of clinical trials and different ways of interpretation. It also help researchers understand the key strengths of clinical trials and observational studies.

By Ken J

Feb 18, 2021

This is a well-down introduction to the clinical design methodologies and considerations. A great starting spot as a Program Manager looking to transition to this field. I am hoping they will release additional courses and make this into a Coursera certificate. Kudos to the authors!

By Muhammad K H

Nov 9, 2017

Very good course. Did it at my pace - though not a fast one but could finish it eventually. Will help me in my professional life. Thanks to coursera for launching a course like this for people like me who cannot afford a regular or dedicated time due to professional commitments.

By Ramya B

Feb 3, 2018

Firstly, I would like to thank both the professors for their valuable lectures.

I was particularly looking for the basics of clinical trial and this course has covered most of its information.

I would highly recommend this anyone looking for the knowledge in clinical trial.

By Aishwarya R

Dec 17, 2020

It was a very well designed and informative course . I took it as an introductory course for understanding how clinical trials are conducted. This course has guide very well from the beginning to end of clinical trials in the most comprehensive yet educational format.

By Kevin R M

Feb 2, 2020

Excellent course for me, as I'm a pharmacist, I'm working in clinical research area and I was looking for acquiring more knoledges and reinforme my previous knowledges regarding clinical trials, I'm gonna llok for more courses regarding clinical trials.

By Massiel V R G

Sep 6, 2020

Although this whole topic is new to me, all the learning I acquired in this course was very valuable. I am very grateful to Dr. Janet and Dr. Lea for their contributions and knowledge, and for using simple and very complete language on the subject.

By Ana G O H

Dec 8, 2019

Lo bastante simple para ser accesible aunque hayan pasado años desde la última clase de estadística o investitación, pero lo bastante complejo y sistemático para valer la pena de ser revisado. Realmente aporta conocimiento importante en el área.

By Tiago V

Jun 5, 2017

Even if some of the topics might be considered "heavy" and boring, the organisers and presenters of this course made sure that everything was easy to understand.

Overall: Very useful for future work and topics were presented in an interesting way.

By Miguel C d B

Dec 12, 2017

Great course - lectures well done. I loved the last last lecture and just wished there was more of the comparisons they drew between studies to bring the point home. Its always good to see good and bad studies to understand flaws and strengths.

By Austin E

Aug 2, 2020

Very helpful for learning practicals of why studies are designed certain ways, and how to understand and extrapolate from the research to determine if this research is actually helpful for advising the treatment of our patients in front of us.

By Tina

May 24, 2017

Great starting point, offers fundamental knowledge on clinical trials design and interpretation, gets you familiar with the terminology and arouses interest for more information on this very interesting and exciting topic. Excellent course!

By Aedrian A

Jan 5, 2021

This is an impressive introductory course on the nitty-gritty on the preparation and conduct of clinical trials. However, a working knowledge on the basics of biostatistics and epidemiology is preferable before starting the material.

By Ayuk A

Apr 30, 2021

I have been working as a clinical trial assistant. I realized during the course that I did the right thing without understanding exactly why I did it. I was just taught to do it that way. I am happy I finally know the reason.

By Elvira D

Aug 22, 2020

I was interested to know about how clinical trials work. This course has helped me understand the details and technicalities associated with trials and so much more. The entire journey of learning has been amazing. Thankyou.

By Carlos A P B

Jun 7, 2021

This is a great course for those who want to introduce to the clinical research world. The professors are great and transmit the keypoints in a clearly and understandable way. Hoping to take some other courses from they!

By Luisa F D B

I think this course was really helpful for me, I am doing my Ph.D. and I have to carry a functional food clinical trial and this course helped me a lot with insights about the basic aspects and design of clinical trials

By Hannah K M L

May 1, 2020

I learned a lot about clinical trials! I used to be a lab specialist for CTs and know I have a better understanding of the terms that had been quite vague to me before! I am happy I took the time to learn this course!

By Hakim H

Sep 4, 2020

As a beginner and not knowing much about clinical trials other than reading them from the news, I learnt a lot about factors to consider when conducting a clinical trial. Good course for beginners and well explained!

By ayushi s

Jul 26, 2020

The course is outstanding in terms of understanding the minor definitions. I deeply go through every slide and the way they gives us an examples on every topic is really helpful and which incline me to learn more.

By Thiago X d N

Apr 26, 2019

I wish it had in all languages, including Brazilian Portuguese. It is an excellent course, I learned about the most diverse forms of study and research. The course is very valuable for my career and life mission.