Back to Combinatorics and Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Combinatorics and Probability by University of California San Diego

Counting is one of the basic mathematically related tasks we encounter on a day to day basis. The main question here is the following. If we need to count something, can we do anything better than just counting all objects one by one? Do we need to create a list of all phone numbers to ensure that there are enough phone numbers for everyone? Is there a way to tell that our algorithm will run in a reasonable time before implementing and actually running it? All these questions are addressed by a mathematical field called Combinatorics. In this course we discuss most standard combinatorial settings that can help to answer questions of this type. We will especially concentrate on developing the ability to distinguish these settings in real life and algorithmic problems. This will help the learner to actually implement new knowledge. Apart from that we will discuss recursive technique for counting that is important for algorithmic implementations. One of the main `consumers’ of Combinatorics is Probability Theory. This area is connected with numerous sides of life, on one hand being an important concept in everyday life and on the other hand being an indispensable tool in such modern and important fields as Statistics and Machine Learning. In this course we will concentrate on providing the working knowledge of basics of probability and a good intuition in this area. The practice shows that such an intuition is not easy to develop. In the end of the course we will create a program that successfully plays a tricky and very counterintuitive dice game. As prerequisites we assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), basic programming in python (functions, loops, recursion), common sense and curiosity. Our intended audience are all people that work or plan to work in IT, starting from motivated high school students. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

JC
Sep 8, 2020

It's a perfect introduction to combinatorics and probability, short, fun, and easy to understand. I would like to see more puzzles, those are extremely fun and interesting

KB
Dec 25, 2019

Great course, lots of good info, not too long. Some of the coding assignments and quizzes are challenging, but the staff respond very quickly to questions in the forums.

26 - 50 of 145 Reviews for Combinatorics and Probability

By Callum T

Jun 23, 2020

Some of the concepts proved difficult on initial inspection but the videos made concepts clear and the quizzes ensure I understood the concept before moving on.

By Ziad B

Oct 13, 2018

I really enjoyed taking this course. The teaching was pretty good and some of the quiz questions will challenge you if you haven't done Combinatorics before.

By SUPAKORN S

Jul 17, 2020

Great lessons, great instructors, literacy slides, this course has everything. I'm so proud to complete two out of five courses in this specialization!

By Kaustubh F

Amazing course, gave me geometrical intuitions some times that made understanding a whole lot easier. The explanation was quite clear.

By James C

Sep 2, 2020

Difficult topics discussed in easy to understand ways and uses fun and interesting problems/exercises to test your understanding.

By Joseph A D

Feb 11, 2018

informative material presented clearly and simply. I had studied bayes before and it was nice to get a concise review.

By Farhan F A

Apr 27, 2020

I am grateful to the teachers for such an amazing journey throughout the courses. Especially the puzzles designed.

By Peter N

Apr 6, 2019

Fantastic course! Really like Vladimir Podolskii's explanations and sense of humor. Great dice game at the end!

By ANIRUDH K

Aug 16, 2020

Great course, I really enjoyed it. Concepts becomes more clear if you have already studied combinatorics.

By Andrew M

Nov 11, 2017

A great course that is well organized. I love Professor Alexander Shen, because he makes me happy.

By Tyler E

Jul 11, 2020

I'm loving the discreet math in cs specialization and solving these problems is very rewarding!!!

By Harish K T

Sep 15, 2019

If you really want to have a greater grasp over mathematics, don't miss this course.

By KARAN S

Sep 1, 2019

The explanations with examples and simulations make the concepts crystal clear.

By Aviral B

May 6, 2020

This course is aptly difficult as it should be

By Muhammad Y A

Nov 1, 2020

It was fantastic and awesome. This course is quite challenging but also interesting at the same time. You'll get assignments about combinatorics in the first half and about probabilities in the last half. In the end, you can practice what have you got from this course on the final project, a programming assignment about a dice game. Hope you can enjoy this course.

By Yunsuk P

Jan 4, 2020

This course does have some coding challenges which are at the same time very interesting. Actually, I did not think much about combinatorics in terms of coding but this was a very nice opportunity to learn more about mathematical thinking for programming and problem-solving.

By Vishal M

May 2, 2020

I like this course and it is puzzle oriented teaching methodology. Instructors were great and their way of teaching makes material easy to understand and stick in mind. This was a introductory course looking forward to more advanced courses.

By Aryan R

Aug 11, 2020

The Course is awesome if you know some basic maths. The instructors have a good way of teaching. The problems in middle of videos help in understanding better. The problems in tests are usually helpful in getting a better understanding

By Jherson A M C

Sep 9, 2020

By T K

I lacked confidence in permutations and combinations since my high school, but now i am enjoying solving combinatorial problems. Thanks to professors

By Chen Z

Sep 11, 2018

The final project is hard for me cuz I don't have Python experience. and the logic is a little bit complicated. That's not for absolutely beginners!

By James M

Mar 21, 2020

I've covered these topics before but there were a lot of great problems and extensions of concepts in this course. Worth doing.

By Yash

Feb 22, 2020

the course was very good. it improved my overall knowledge in the area of probability and combinatorics.

By Juan L O

Oct 30, 2017

This one is a bit more 'mathy' than the first one, it has a good pace and the exercises are really cool

By Hossam S

Aug 19, 2020

Fun and Intuitive. I believe the probability week's last parts were a little confusing but good too.