Back to Introduction to Communication Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Communication Science by University of Amsterdam

Since Antiquity, scholars have appreciated the importance of communication: as social beings, we cannot exist without communication. We need to interact with people around us, to make sense of the world and to position ourselves in a wider social and cultural reality. In this course, we look at how and why communication evolved as a science and reflect on today’s dominant paradigms. The course also extends beyond the boundaries of communication science itself, exploring dimensions of history, sociology and psychology. Join our class, together with people all over the world. Introduction to Communication Science explores some of the basic theories, models and concepts from the fields of mass, interpersonal and intrapersonal communication. The course begins with a consideration of several basic models, subsequently progressing to the history of communication theory, linear effect-oriented theories, the reception approach and, finally, exploring theories on the production and reinforcement of culture through communication. Upon completion of this course, students should: • have knowledge of the history and development of communication science; • have knowledge of the dominant theoretical approaches within communication science; • have knowledge and understanding of the most important models and concepts in this field. Beginning the week of February 16, 2015, you will be able to join Signature Track, a system that verifies your identity when you take an exam. This option will allow you to earn a Verified Certificate, which provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Amsterdam logo. Before then, you can complete a “test run” of the exam. You can then re-take the exam after the Verified Certificate becomes available. For information regarding Verified Certificates, see https://courserahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201212399-Verified-Certificates"...

ZK
Mar 4, 2020

It is wonderful course. I found that teaching methodology and exam every thing was perfect. My best wishes are for the Coursera as well university of Amsterdam for preparation of this useful course.

LS
Feb 20, 2017

This course was incredibly delightful and very helpful, as a media and communication student, this course widened the information I had and helped me with my home university courses. Thank you!

51 - 75 of 349 Reviews for Introduction to Communication Science

By Maxim S

Sep 8, 2015

Really interesting course. Useful and applicable in marketing, branding and public relations. Also good for those who want to expand their understanding of mass media and socio-cultural influence on each and every of us.

By SongWanlu

Aug 16, 2015

Fundamental but really inspiring courses, extremely helpful for starter and those want to enhance their basic theoretical learning of communication.

Clearly explain and expand the concepts of communication theories.

By Sinethemba D

Jun 28, 2020

This course was very interesting as I have learnt a lot of information that I did not know about communication. I will also be able to use my knowledge in the future. I benefited a lot from studying this course.

Sep 22, 2017

A great course for those who not only just begin learning about communication but also want to dig deeper to this field. The lessons include images, explanation helping learners approaching more effectively.

By Olivia J

Nov 25, 2015

Excellent introduction to the subject - clear, concise and engaging. A very condensed overview of the key topics, which is exactly what I expected/wanted, and presented in a friendly and enthusiastic way.

By MIRZA A U R

Jul 7, 2020

I have learnt alot from this course everyone should participate and this kind of courses are helpful in careers every institute should take these courses in there respective short term vocational syllabus

By Zaheer K

Mar 5, 2020

By 毕琳

Mar 4, 2016

it's very basic but excellent framework course about communication science. enlightening and inspire functions from either historical level or 3 mainstream approaches for communication study.

By 黄颖琦 ( Y

Jun 17, 2020

It's really helpful! many theories and ideas about communication and media are shared in this MOOC! I like it~ If you're interested in this field, never hesitate to join this course~

By Lucia H

Aug 9, 2016

An awesome course, very interesting and the teaching method was awesome. Loved the drawings presented, it made it a lot easier. Hope to be studying at this University in the future.

By Lucero P

Jun 14, 2017

I like this course, I am stuying my first week and this course gives away interactive classes that we don't need more to understand the importance of Communications in our Society.

By Bui T M C

Mar 18, 2017

It is an interesting and interactive course. I have learnt basic Communication science theories with a visual and understandable methods. Thank you so much for your great course!

By jemay k

Jun 9, 2020

Thank you for your hardwork! Thanks for the videos and that you have tried hard in compressing such an elaborate and comprehensive study in such simple and quick ways. Keep on!

By Sandra P

Jun 14, 2020

Excellent course, really well designed, the methodology is clear, comprehensive and easy to follow. It leaves you with the desire to take amore advanced course on the subject.

By Laura R L

Feb 18, 2018

One of the most complete and accurate (in terms of scope of topics and its articulation throught the whole course) courses on Coursera platform I've taken! Thanks very much.

By Yin W

Jan 12, 2016

From the first two lessons, I learned the general ideas and brief history of communication science, which provides me a frame and an overall picture of developmental path.

By Pedro R

Sep 8, 2017

Es un muy buen curso introductorio. Bastante completo, preciso y actualizado. Gracias al equipo y a su excelente narrador, Rutger de Graaf. Thanks a lot. Success for all!

By Georgiana Z

Oct 17, 2015

Great! Concise and comprehensive at the same time! Exactly what an introductory class should offer you: a good presentation of the field and a healthy sense of curiosity.

By Sorabh T

May 4, 2016

It was really fun studying this MOOC. I had a really wonderful experience even though I'm not a Communication Science major (I just took it out of curiosity to learn!).

By Khalid A

Mar 6, 2021

the only criticism is that the volume in the videos should be adjusted, some are very low where i have to use headphones and most of them are not at good volume level.

By Gabriela M M

Sep 11, 2015

Very well structured and concise information.

Unlike the classic "Introduction to communication theory" class that's available in most of the Universities worldwide :)

By Rajendra T

Feb 23, 2020

Short and concise course to educate oneself about dynamics of communication in society. Quiz questions are very well adapted to check the understanding of the topics.

By Khoutyz I

May 23, 2020

concise, clear and detailed presentation of main communication theories illustrated by real-life examples and presented in beautifully arranged presentation slides

By Arunee S

May 8, 2020

I learnt a lot of new things in this course. I gained much more than I had expected. I will keep studying on comm sci and apply this knowledge to my daily work.

By THOTA R

Apr 25, 2020

Every person need have communication skills, because it became a part of every individual life. This MOOC helped me understand about commnication much better.