Back to Computational Social Science Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computational Social Science Methods by University of California, Davis

This course gives you an overview of the current opportunities and the omnipresent reach of computational social science. The results are all around us, every day, reaching from the services provided by the world’s most valuable companies, over the hidden influence of governmental agencies, to the power of social and political movements. All of them study human behavior in order to shape it. In short, all of them do social science by computational means. In this course we answer three questions: I. Why Computational Social Science (CSS) now? II. What does CSS cover? III. What are examples of CSS? In this last part, we take a bird’s-eye view on four main applications of CSS. First, Prof. Blumenstock from UC Berkeley discusses how we can gain insights by studying the massive digital footprint left behind today’s social interactions, especially to foster international development. Second, Prof. Shelton from UC Riverside introduces us to the world of machine learning, including the basic concepts behind this current driver of much of today's computational landscape. Prof. Fowler, from UC San Diego introduces us to the power of social networks, and finally, Prof. Smaldino, from UC Merced, explains how computer simulation help us to untangle some of the mysteries of social emergence....

AB
Jul 6, 2020

Excellent course and the instructor(s) make it even more engaging. I love Martin Hilbert and his explanations, examples. I enjoyed course 1 alot and continuing course 2 at the moment.

PT
Jul 11, 2020

This is a great course to take as an introduction to Computational Social Science. I hope the rest of the Specialization is just as engaging, relevant, and informative.

26 - 42 of 42 Reviews for Computational Social Science Methods

By Akhil S

Aug 31, 2020

Good Overview, 10,000 ft bird's eye view ;)

By Angad P T

Aug 18, 2020

Great learning experience! Thank you

By Yeh-Kang C

May 23, 2020

Not that hard but really fruitful.

By gil V B

Oct 3, 2020

Amazing!

By Mona A A

Aug 1, 2020

good

By Ben B

Nov 10, 2020

The specialization offers a great first overview of the field of computational social sciences. You will work with simple (and messy) tools which offer you the opportunity to get your hands dirty quickly. Most likely, you will not use these very tools later in your own research because they are just to limited and simple. Prof Hilbert is an entertaining lecturer and all the guest lectureres (or collaborators) in the specialization offer interesting insights. Be warned that the peer-review process might take a while (a couple of days). There are other learners but it seems that this course (and all courses of the specialization) are not that crowded.

By Noor Q

Mar 7, 2020

This is a really fun course, even though I had some knowledge in the topic it is presented in a fun creative way that I learned a lot and never felt bored.

There were few issues though, the peer graded assessment asks for 5 pictures and then awards people who post more than 5 without saying that is the case in the instructions, as a teacher myself I would never expect students to provide more than they are asked for and penalize them if they don't.

I also found some of the machine learning lecture in week 3 confusing, especially considering I had some background which made me able to keep up, others might struggle.

By Anirban P

Aug 17, 2020

The first hands-on assignment using web-scraper was really interesting. I would have liked to see a few more similar assignments n other Modules as well. Overall the course was good at providing basic information related to different computational methods that can be used in Social sciences, in a fun and interactive way.

By QUINIOU V

Aug 9, 2020

Very insightful introduction to computational social science methods. I understand that modelling is not an easy stuff, and we have to very careful when manipulating them, or deduce and propose things. It is very fascinating to learn all the discoveries from Pr Fowler.

By G.W

Jun 13, 2020

Good and comprehensive overview of computational social sciences

By Abhyudaya A

May 14, 2020

Great course

By ROBERT C

Apr 17, 2020

Great content! Quiz questions need to be reconsidered, and more projects would be useful

By Belle B

Oct 18, 2020

I wish that there would be safer ways to practice the webscraping assignment haha perhaps an existing dataset?

By luisa d

Jun 13, 2020

I ALREADY WROTE TO SUSPEND THIS COURSE FOR A WHILE BECAUSE I AM TOO BUSY. WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THE PAYMENT ???