Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

AA
Mar 25, 2020

Great course. It is great for beginners and for people that may have forgotten a thing or two. The way it was taught makes it so much better than reading man pages or something else as dry and boring.

DL
Feb 23, 2021

This course was amazing and helped me understand so much more about networking, things I never thought I would know or understand. Very fulfilling and I can't wait to use this knowledge going forward.

7401 - 7425 of 7,481 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By Courtney P

Feb 26, 2021

There were a lot of errors in grading.

By Ngoc Q P

Mar 6, 2020

ambiguous answers to the questions

By Christopher S

Sep 3, 2021

Starting to get very challenging.

By Layla K

Aug 10, 2020

was really hard to understand

By tim s

Jun 18, 2020

not up to date

By GAYATHRI S

Sep 23, 2020

good

By fayaz k

Aug 16, 2020

good

By Shashank T

Sep 20, 2018

bad

By Peter C

Sep 17, 2020

I attempted through both the course forums and contacting Coursera tech support to rectify a problem with a question in the graded quiz portion of the week 4 content. Both methods failed for various reasons.

There is a question in the week 4 content that either is incorrectly worded, or does not have the correct answer as an option. This is not to say that there is not an answer that is coded as correct. This is to say that even if there is a coded correct answer, that answer is wrong, because all of the available answers are wrong.

The question is what kind of packet is sent when a client sends a DNS request. The answer is UDP. The options available include one packet type, TCP, and 3 answers listing various flags for TCP that are used during the three way handshake.

While it is true that if the DNS server responds with a UDP packet indicating that the DNS response is too long, then the client will establish a TCP connection, which would involve a TCP packet, and the first packet would include a SYN flag. None of that answers the question asked.

I've given this review 1 star in the hopes that someone somewhere will take note and actually fix this problem. Tech support at Coursera repeatedly informed me that they were "not content experts" and the mentor who responded on the forums either failed to comprehend my issue, or just didn't know what they were talking about.

The course is actually very good outside of this single error, and I hope if you're reading this review trying to decide whether to take the course that you choose to do so.

By Sabrina A

Feb 19, 2021

There is no way someone who has no experience in this field is able to learn and finish this course in the estimated timeline. There were no pictures of the talked about items, nothing to show us what things looked like, we interacted with these topics on the minimum, there wasn't any way for us to associated these topics with anything. There aren't even any kind of recommendations to practice these skills. I struggled so much throughout this whole course and was more so frustrated. I felt so underprepared and as if there was no way this was worth my money. 50$ a month just to have a vague idea about anything taught in this program? I think in these times, money could be better spent than trying to catch up on all the teaching I'm not getting with this course.

By Jacob S

Oct 18, 2020

From the page for the Google IT Support Professional Certification program:"Upon completion of the certificate, learners eligible to work in the US can directly share their information with Google, as well as employers like Hulu, Infosys, Intel, Walmart, and more. "

The wording of this implies that UPON COMPLETION of the course, there will be opportunities for applications for WORK that were NOT AVAILABLE PRIOR. Saying this is MISLEADING. OF COURSE I can 'share my information with [these companies]", I COULD DO THAT BEFORE. The wording of this sentence was the ENTIRE REASON I took this course! I WASTED TWO MONTHS ON THIS! I COULD'VE JUST STUDIED FOR A+! THANK YOU FOR WASTING MY TIME.

By Lee U

Oct 14, 2021

Absolutely terrible.

Disorganized. Frustrating. Information is very in-depth. Impossible to understand and follow. I learned more by looking things up on the internet on my own. How is anyone supposed to learn this, truly understand, and apply the concepts?

I have a BS in Psychology, specifically cognition and how people learn things best. Not nearly enough practical application in this course. Things are not explained well, simply read from a slide. I'm willing to bet many googlers do not now this ridiculous amount of information. Supplemental readings, terms and acronyms is not learning or teaching. I'd give this course zero stars if I could.

By Hussein M R

Feb 28, 2021

HelloHope this email reaches you wellOkay My Problem is this, I finished all 6 courses related to "Google IT Support" two months ago, but I didn't receive my certificates because I wasn't able to verify my account since I didn't have a passport back thenafter contacting with "Islam Soliman" and finally with "Caleb" he said that i can claim my certificates anytime in the future, once i have my passport and i can verify my account.i signed in today to claim them...i couldn't or i didn't know how, since there wasnt any verify your Id thing related to "Google IT support" but instead there was "Purchase your Certificate".a little help pleasethanks

By Nabil C

Jun 21, 2020

I almost give up this course. For me horrible teaching. found in YouTube more information and better explanation to the materiel then this course. Better teaching . The quiz sometime doesn't work, especially the last one. IPv6 Compression quiz should taken out. we should not waist our time and money in such as thing. a child can do the exercise. need better and better than. I do not understand how this course got a better review. the first course " Technical Support Fundamentals" I took was great. However This one is not at all great.

By Anthony R

Jul 19, 2021

Most courses are filled with mistakes and errors, the modules don't work well, the information is outdated, and annoying jokes and liberal politics are forced on the student. This course should in no way be labelled as preparation for the CompTIA A+ exam. In information and conciseness, this course is far worse than Professor Messer's free YouTube series. The only thing this is good for really is the badge and credential, though I'm still not sure how much benefit this provides.

By Anthony S

Oct 11, 2021

I gave my all, and took all the notes that would benefit me. Which led me to writing and writing yet not understanding what I was laying down on paper. Wish the instructor's would share this vital information to all of us that this is brand new in every aspect. "Layman Term" would have been essential to every student. I don't like giving up on things i set my mind to. This course is complicated for first timers!

By Lyric216

Oct 4, 2020

my quiz would not load correctly. Each time it loaded up some answers were already selected. When I adjusted the answers and submitted my quiz i get the answer wrong because i answered the question outside of the time. I still had overan hour left to take the quiz. now i am locked out and have to wait 24 hours to take my quiz again. of course there is no one you can email or talk to about this.

By Jacob B

Dec 15, 2019

The first part started off great! Now I have started on week one of module two and every time I take week 1 test I receive a zero! Statistically there is no way I wouldn't get at least one right! I know some of them were correct but the format seems off and now I am locked out. Once this matter is resolved I will give a better rating but as of now it is ZERO stars!

By Sean T

Aug 24, 2021

The courses truly are an expensive version of free information you can find online, there was no additional value that any of these courses offered than any other learning outlet would have.

It is seriously putrid that that any of these courses are being lauded as a worthwhile endeavor.

By Shajee H

May 9, 2020

I've learned more from doing outside research then from the lecture videos on this course. First part of this course was good but the Networking part should've had more visuals. All it is, is a person reading off a teleprompter.

By Robert R

Apr 9, 2018

the quizzes at the end of the lesson are impossible you have to get 100 percent or higher and the information you need isn't in each lesson or on google. This is mean't for you to waste your time so they make money off of you.

By Cris I

Apr 20, 2020

After a second attempt nearly two years later I have wasted over $100 again on this abysmal instructor in lesson two. Please do not contact me again about this course. This was an utter and complete waste of money.