Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

TS

Aug 5, 2019

This was a very fun course! I really enjoyed the style and pace of the information given. A lot of technical information was given while the course made it easy to take in and comprehend the material!

SW

Jun 21, 2021

This course was more intensive than the first one, but felt a little more hands-on. I am excited to see how the next course goes. I do feel I learned quite a bit in this course and it was challenging.

7426 - 7450 of 9,611 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By Rachael M

Oct 2, 2022

I really enjoyed this course. It was challenging, but not too difficult. The best part is that I can work on my own schedule. The only reason it's 4 instead of 5 stars is because I didn't receive any notification on the due date of the final module's graded assignment, and as a result, I was a day late on turning it in. Since this was the only time it happened, I suspect it was simply a glitch.

By Casey A

Jun 22, 2021

The IPv6 compression quiz needs to be checked due to the number of times that I took it and answered all questions correctly but after submitting the quiz, I would receive a grade of 0. This resulted in me being late on an assignment. This issue is also the subject of many threads in the forum, some over a month long.

By Chelsea R

Jun 8, 2020

I very much enjoyed the course, but often I felt lost in all the complicated material. The subnetting section was extremely hard for me to grasp and had to find other material outside of the course (YouTube) to help me better understand. I think for more complicated sections/modules it would be helpful to maybe explain or give more time to go over concepts. I felt it was a bit rushed at times.

By Joseph F

Feb 24, 2018

It's okay for a non-technically minded person. I think this part could use much more video of how things work as the speaker is explaining the concepts. Many people taking this course are not technically minded, which means they need it broken down into layman's terms or in a way they can relate to it. I think it would be better with more step by step video "art" while the speaker is taking.

By Di G

Jul 10, 2022

This course makes the process of learning basic IT concepts very approachable . It's broken into small sections, which makes studying very simple to obsorb at a resonable pace. On week's with topics that I grasped more quickly, I was able to move ahead confidently or go more deliberately on topics that I did not understand so easily. Entertaining even on topics that get a little "hairy".

By Nora R

Aug 1, 2020

This course has very valuable information and the instructors seem very knowledgeable, however, I've experienced issues with one of the quizzes and although I reached out in the appropriate manner I received no response. There is no one to speak with if there are problems and I don't feel that is good teaching ethic. As a whole I am learning a lot and plan on continuing with the program.

By Darien P

Jun 10, 2018

I would have given it a 5 star except for the fact that the IPv6 question on the quiz was bugged and additionally the networking quiz was difficult and the explanations weren't completely clear. Specifically, that you can only abbreviate with the double colon once when abbreviating an Ipv6 address. However, I did enjoy the course , it was very informative and I feel that I learned a lot.

By Philani N

Apr 1, 2022

Really enjoyed the course, was a bit difficult for me but that shows that I needed to learn, thats what school is about anyway. At first I didnt understand how Im supposed to learn anything online. As I did the assignments and I did fail some of them, reviewing my assignments was the way I learned. I got to try them again and I realised that I then knew the correct answers.

Amazing!!!

By Fariska S

Jun 11, 2020

So, this course is very challenging and can improve my understanding of the networking concept(which I feel I'm quite weak in this area).

Just one thing that you must score perfectly in a quiz about IPv6, if not your grade would 0% no matter how much you try. I've been through that then I realized, so I hope this would be a guiding light for us all.

Great, and thanks for all the Tutor!

By Gianluca G

Jun 1, 2020

Nice overview of computer networking fundamentals. As you might expect from this kind of course (coursera based), you don't get a terrific amount of hands on experience, but the exercises at the end of each week try their best to provide test the understanding of the lectures. Limitations of the medium and the introductory nature of the content aside, I would say I'm pretty satisfied.

By Simone P

Dec 23, 2021

It was an extremely enlightening and interesting course all in all. The professor was always very understandable and the topics covered were very well explained. I found the chapter on subnetting difficult, I would have preferred a more detailed explanation with more practical examples, unfortunately I had to integrate the topic with external sources. Overall I was very satisfied.

By Sean M

Sep 5, 2022

I learned a ton about computer networking in this course but I think a video diagraming the setup process of an actual network would be hugely beneficial. Similar to the first course on constructing a computer and all the different hardware parts that are contained within it. I think something like that with an instructor showing how to set up a network would be really great.

By Ethan L

Sep 7, 2022

I think that, in a course like this, it's naturally impossible to cover every detail of every section. There are so many positives about this, but many times I got into a quiz or a test and thought, "Wait, was this in the videos?" It took a lot of cross-referencing with, articles and even other videos on YouTube, to get through. Still, it's a great introduction to networking.

By Deanna L

Jan 22, 2022

I really liked the instructors sense of humor and the encouraging video clips that make you feel like anyone can do this type of work. However the down side is that it could have been explained in a less complicated way at least for the Network Layers and Subnetting part. I had to watch other videos on Youtube in order to understand it. Overall though I think it was good.

By Bradley R

Apr 25, 2022

There is a few areas that need updating one is talking about wpa3 and the various network channels in used today, in todays world 2022 we now have dedicated channels for hosiptals emergency response etc. also that wpa3 has been put into used but has serious security flaws like wpa2 I feel another video could be added to specifically talk about these flaws and major hacks.

By Saulet Y

Jun 12, 2019

Too much information :) Can you imagine if a Professor comes to a lecture with only 1 - 2 slides and then reads everything from papers. Would you be excited? I don't think so. I believe this course can be improved by adding more slides and examples. Additionally, it would be beneficial by adding labs. For instance, how to create networks, or how to settings the routers etc.

By John B

Jan 17, 2021

Good course. It can be difficult if you have no experience with these concepts. I recommend getting the A+ Certification all in one for dummies book, it can be found on amazon, and using it as a companion to these courses. It helped me to better understand and get through the course. Also go back and re watch the video's if you don't fully understand something. Good luck.

By Kenessa D

Nov 4, 2019

This was a tough one. I feel that I am just scratching the surface of what a true IT Professional needs to know in the realm of networking. Cabling, Routers, Switches, IP addresses and so much more are all a little bit clearer to me now. I hope that I can take what I learn here and become more equipped for the IT networking world. Can't wait to configure my first network.

By Aaron M H

Jul 10, 2019

I want to give thanks to the instructor of this course! His articulation and consistency over the vernacular and nomenclature was very well received. I feel quite informed. The only thing I would add is more quikilabs. Similar to the first course, I believe everyone needs alittle more hands on experience, performing some of the command lines expressed in this course.

By Njoroge N

Jul 3, 2022

They aren't kidding when they say you have to be a self-led learner to be successful! There were several instances when I had to look up concepts discussed in external resources. However, I believe the course made a good attempt at organizing content that loops back to itself in crazy ways. The instructor was lively so I found it easy to follow along. Would recommend!

By Alex A G

Dec 5, 2020

This material is difficult, but this course lays out material as you need it. Understand the concepts as they come, ask your questions, the go on the course and you will most likely find your answer. Take your time. It's a deep dive. I just wish this had a more hands on approach, but there are many resources available, and this course points you in the right direction!

By Glanson L

Jan 25, 2021

Would like a bit more interactive work to actually show how the computer networking works. I used a lot of outside applications to get this to make sense in my brain. So checking Mac and Ip addresses of my laptop and game system to make sense of how things are working. I am a tactile learner so understanding the information then using it in the field is very helpful.

By Jenn B

Aug 12, 2022

Directions in week 6 graded assignments on IPv6 need to be made more clear. The directions are written in such a way that it makes you think that you have to copy address, paste into field, and eliminate zeros. This does not work. You have to manually type this out. Also, one address in particular with repeating zeros is very tricky and requires trial and error.

By M&Z R

Jun 22, 2021

Great video presentations of all of the intricacies of computer networking and breaking it down into easily digestible "bites" HA! But I wish there were more of 2 important things. More cloud puns. You guys could have really done far more. Practical hands on work, or more than just theoretical talking points would have helped me absorb the info faster and better.

By David A

Jul 3, 2022

Besides the part of the week 6 IPv6 compression test, This hasn't been a bad learning experience. I hope the bug in the test doesn't mess up the whole course and make it so that I am unable to pass the Bits and Bites certificate.

Update: The bug has been fixed and I thank those involved, that fixed it I am happy that I didn't fail the whole course because of it.