Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

TS

Aug 5, 2019

This was a very fun course! I really enjoyed the style and pace of the information given. A lot of technical information was given while the course made it easy to take in and comprehend the material!

ME

Jul 31, 2020

i learned so much even after i took CCNA i had some vague points, but this course made thing clearer to me looking , it even made me interested to complete the whole google it support specialization .

7851 - 7875 of 8,406 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By Romi S

Feb 23, 2021

I found this course far more difficult than the previous one. It took me a long time because I could not follow a lot of what the instructor was explaining. I ended up having to look online for videos explaining how the concepts in this course worked elsewhere just so I could understand what the instructor was trying to say. While I did learn networking, it was a painful process. I truly think you guys should rework these videos and make them more accessible. If you're trying to weed people out, then this is a great way of doing it.

By Joseph S

Jul 9, 2020

While I learned a lot for this some things didn't come easy and that being said something on the test and in the course itself were not clear or gone over. Lot of terms or questions I saw on the test that I got wrong I had to go to external source to understand of even just to get clarified. While I be lieing to say that because of these I didn't learn things because I did learn a lot. Lot of thing that I will need to get a IT career, but I do feel some revisions of this course would benefit future students in the long run.

By Rachel P

Feb 13, 2020

Too theoretical/conceptual. Very few how-to examples for stuff you would need to actually do in the real world. Why not just give a step by step on how to set up a home router? Also, the explanations jump around way too much - very chaotic! When protocols are broken down into fields, the instructor keeps saying "finally" over and over even though it's nowhere near the end of the list. Jeez. Poorly scripted. Give simple animations on 5 layer model instead of a static cartoon that doesn't help at all. 3 stars is generous.

By D.S V

Oct 24, 2020

In my opinion the video lectures should take more time to explain the concepts that will be tested. I sometimes had to go outside coursera to youtube for example to find other explanations of core material in order to pass certain areas. Also, several of the plugin quizzes were either broken or badly bugged and I had to use a different browser in order to complete them. I think some technical oversight of the actual tools we use would be good. Other than that it was useful information and I'm glad to have completed it.

By Eboni A

Nov 10, 2020

This course went deep and had a lot of information in the form of numbers and acronyms. More visual aids would have been helpful instead of just watching someone on screen spew a ton of information. Overall, this certificate/series of courses could use more teaching aids such as downloadable worksheets or something to help memorize protocols, rules, how many bits something has, etc. It's nice to be challenged but I will have to buy some courses from Udemy for further support in learning and mastering this content.

By Anthony T

Oct 12, 2020

I appreciated that each week had broken up different aspects of networking and went deep on the terms, and history of the technologies. It was a really tough module in comparison to the last, and it would have been helpful to have more "lab work" environments or homework assignments to get a feel for how these commands and protocols work or differ from one another. Glad to be finished with this one, though I think I'll need to revisit it soon to refresh myself on all of the concepts.

By 2 B 4 C

Jan 11, 2021

Good Material to Learn, but nothing that really made it stick, even compared to the first course, which had just a little bit of hands-on experience with vms, I felt, and still feel almost completely clueless about networking as a whole, I do understand what many of the terms mean, and what they do, and how they affect each other, but putting it all together to make the bigger picture just blurs it all together, making for a much less interesting course than the first one

By Andreas H

Apr 15, 2020

I've read a few reviews. Part of the course was easy to understand for me. I'd like to stress that the educational presentation of the course content does not live up to the video quality (audio, video resolution, lighting, topic structure, narration speed...). Compared to the first course in IT Support Fundamentals, I found this course more frustrating and discouraging. It felt like you're learning with a math teacher who doesn't stop to explain things on your level.

By Jennifer S

Jul 27, 2020

Your instructions for subnetting are woefully inadequate. Nowhere do you discuss details of the step-by-step process used, and this is vitally important in order to better understand and utilize subnets. For a layman, the brief explanation and charts used here did nothing more than confuse me even more to the point of tears. I had to find other videos online that broke it down for me with much greater detail in order to fully understand and implement the process.

By Iona G

Jun 3, 2018

I didn't feel like the videos prepared me for the assignments at the end. I know that you should supplement your learning with researching yourself, but I didn't even know what to look up to get the answers I needed. This was particularly the case for subnetting. I do feel like I have a much better knowledge of networking now than I did before starting, but I feel like there were a lot of things that I didn't really grasp as well as I would like to.

By James R K

Mar 5, 2018

Very detailed and focused course covering a lot of good material. Some of the material was difficult to grasp and would have been easier to retain with some more hands on examples. The process by which datagrams travel from source to destination is one that could use some refinement. The interactive quizzes were fun, if a little difficult at times. Very informative course, even from someone like me who has previous knowledge of some of the material.

By Casey T

Oct 22, 2019

This course is a huge information dump. Get ready to have your brain overloaded by information and more acronyms than you can shake a stick at. The data was VERY interesting to me so I enjoyed learning it, but some videos require multiple watches to retain the info. There is very little practice for the quizzes as well which is annoying. You will understand how the internet works after this course. I do recommend it but not for the faint of heart.

By Mohamed A

Apr 12, 2019

I have benefited from this course only general information but I wish the scientific side be more theoretical but in general a good course in which the amount of useful information and I as an engineer strongly advise and know, yes I can follow up in taking more courses for two reasons

1. The knowledge is activated and increased

2. Gain experience in your field of work and gain and prove in the company that you have passed the professional course

By Andrea B G

Jul 3, 2020

There was a lot of information to cover here but I wish there hadn't been so much jargon thrown around only to be told "don't worry about it right now, we'll cover it in another module/course". It just overwhelms people if they're brand new to this. I did enjoy the interactive or practice exercises like compressing the IPv6 addresses and felt that that was the kind of hands-on learning that could have pushed this course on to a higher rating.

By Michael D

Dec 9, 2021

I think this was a very thick section with tons of vocabulary, mostly memorizing acronyms. I feel like although I have a bunch of knowledge about how things work, actually understanding how to apply these things is an entirely seperate manner. I would have liked to see more labs instead of just endless narration, however there were some really great visuals that did a great job at explaining some of the more difficult to understand concepts.

By Eimer P F

This course was a really tough one for me, I had to search on external sources to fully understand some concepts, mostly I watched YouTube videos. I hate the way how the instructor speaks; I personally think it's too annoying. Besides those things, I've got to say that I've learned a lot during this course, I still have some gaps on the topics of networking but I also think I have to put some extra effort by myself on getting to know more.

By Heidi S

May 16, 2022

T​his course needs to be updated. It's easy to tell that it was made in 2017 because many of the additional reading materials were old articles, and the discussion about how some IPv4 addresses were set to run out by 2018, "oops," made it even more clear. Please update the course, because it's a very important and useful course, and I'm concerned that what I'm learning is not as relevant compared to what the standards are today.

By Curtis B B

May 7, 2019

The instructor is difficult to understand, at times, with the way he speaks and breaks up sentences. It was good information to learn I just wish it would've been delivered in a way a beginner (with technology) could understand. If a method can be developed that lets the student relate to the material in their own personal way than I believe it would be better absorbed. I had to watch and re-watch a lot of videos.

By Steve L

Feb 16, 2021

I found this course challenging. They bombard you with information in a few videos and then expect you to know everything during a test. The first 3 weeks were really tough. Maybe it's because I've always struggled with Networking but I found the course difficult, well the first half of it anyways. I completed it though but have come to a realization that I wont be pursuing a career in networking any time soon.

By Cameron M

Apr 15, 2018

While I learned a great deal from this course, it was extremely challenging. More visual aids and examples could have been provided to show where and how certain aspects are used opposed to verbally explaining them with minimal diagrams. I believe the instructor did the best they could with the written material. Take lots of notes and look for outside resources such as youtube and the discussion forum.

By Chetan P

Decent course overall, one one thing I found lacking was applied knowledge. Also, in week 6 where it teaches you about troubleshooting completely glosses over checking issues at the physical layer which is important. Why? I work in front line support at an ISP, and the first things we check for is to see if the modem, router, and lines going to the home, and coax outlets are all working as it should.

By Andrew S

Feb 3, 2021

The course was very informational but heads up.... the final quizzes for each week are unnecessarily difficult. In addition they have a large amount of trick questions with answers to questions they didn't even go over. and they also spit the terminology out really fast and present it in a complex way rather than organizing and simplifying information. So if you're prepared for that then your good.

By lisa h

Dec 3, 2019

Great information. I am a visual learner, so maybe you can put more graphics in. BUT the big reason I only gave 3 stars is on the quiz Network Basic, the system would not let me chick on the answers. I did flag it but It has not changed. I also tried on different computers and systems. I have tried multiple times but still get a 0 on the test. PLEASE, PLEASE fix this problem. Thank you

By Christopher A

Mar 25, 2021

There is a lot of material that is thrown at you and unfortunately it is taught by a guy just sitting there and talking to you. If there were more visuals to help those of us that are visual learners to better understand the material then the course would be more enjoyable. Good information but it is a bog to go through if you don't like to listen to someone just sit there and talk.

By Three H

Oct 13, 2019

The network is one of my weakness field. It's really hard and full of details, most of it also is the theories which is hard to understand and explain or teach. This course needs more exercise or practice assignments to make the learners grab the concept of networking more clearly. As for me, I think I only understand about 1/4 or 1/5 of what has already explained in this course.