Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

AM

Mar 29, 2020

what an amazing course, so much information and yet so easy to understand, would recommend going over a few of the videos and supplemental reading a few times, take the time needed, it'll be worth it.

DL

Feb 23, 2021

This course was amazing and helped me understand so much more about networking, things I never thought I would know or understand. Very fulfilling and I can't wait to use this knowledge going forward.

8626 - 8650 of 8,815 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By Grayson L

Feb 13, 2021

So far this course is only ok. I do not feel like it is giving me a solid foundation. They try to cover so much information, a lot of it very technical in a little time. They tell you to rewatch the videos and read the supplementary reading. The supplementary reading is ONLY wikipedia. And do not get me started on who scripted this--I don't know what I am going to do if I hear the words "I should call out" or "spoiler alert" one more time. The teachers, during the lesson videos seem very inauthentic. Google would have been better just letting the teachers free style the lesson.

By Joe B M

Apr 6, 2018

Giving it three stars . Some more interactive flash would have made the course better. I also dislike the fact that while testing with the plug in if you make one mistake you have to reset the whole plugin. Also 10 IPV6 to translate in plugin then another one on final come on . Four translations would have been enough. An area of improvement would be add video on Ethernet RJ45 twisted pair creation . Maybe a virtual module where the student correctly has to form twisted pairs. Could have added some info on ping of death , ICMP flooding, port probing etc...

By Jack

Feb 9, 2022

T​here is allot of unneccesary talking, that makes it a little hard to follow. Especially for those who may have a learning disability. I understand the instructor in the video is trying to explain why and how he got interested into the course. But all of the uneccesary added talking should be saved at the end once we have finished the quizes and tests. I personally find it a little hard to follow when there is too much information given at a time. It's giving way to much to remember. It's almost over whelming.

By Bill C

Apr 15, 2021

Course material not covered well in videos .....to much guessing you have to do on the test !

to hard to get help maybe a study group is needed from the start. content not clearly explained?

instructor need to make things clearer ..too much jumping around from one concept to another before we have a complete grasp of what he trying to teach or how things work together ..quizzes help ..not as easy subject to teach any way.

By Natalie N

Aug 9, 2020

Way too difficult follow-up to Course 1. I've been simultaneously working on Course 3 to stay afloat in my intensive IT Support program using this Coursera material and I'm finding that Course 3 material is much simpler. The concepts simply don't build upon previous concepts in a way that makes sense. Also, a lot of the quiz questions are not covered in this course and some of them deal with 20 year old technology.

By Joshua W

Apr 7, 2022

T​his course was full of information and history about how networking happens. The downside to this course though is that it gives you almost zero knowhow on how to practically setup a network. Sure having abreviations, history and technical knowhow is good but the course doesn't teach someone on how to actually plug things in and configure a network. I'm a bit disappointed and feel like I didn't learn much.

By MICHAEL R

Apr 24, 2018

There is a ton of wasted time in the lessons. The guy repeats himself, gives redundant / useless information, repeats himself some more, and occasionally tries to be funny and cute which just makes me cringe to death. The lessons do not focus on the same information that's in the big quizzes. Like, the videos are about A B C and D, and hint at the existence of E, and then the quizzes only ask about D and E.

By Justin E

Apr 5, 2018

Bit sloppy to be honest and for what its worth I don't think anyone with 0 knowledge is going to come out of this course with very much confidence in what they've learned. Networking is pretty heavy stuff for people with no previous experience and this course while it does a good job trying to compress it takes too little time going over a lot of essentials so you can truly understand it.

By mario f

Jun 10, 2020

it was very hard to keep focused the pacing and constant words to learn given to me in an uninteresting way made it really hard to me to retain information I found myself looking back at notes and trying to learn the materials from other sites right after a video because the way the content was provided did not stick with me unfortunately very happy to have completed this course.

By Frank E

Oct 17, 2020

Most of the course is good and full of basic knowledge but the week 5 quiz that teaches you absolutely nothing, has been completely broken for months and they won't fix it. AND... you cannot pass the course without it. Zero help from the forums other than other people with problems needing help. Otherwise there is good information offered. The novelty quizzes are useless though.

By Juan S R C

Dec 8, 2019

This is still advance information, not aimed for those who are new to this. Many concepts, which need to be explained in more depth and using analogies to better illustrate the concepts. I almost throw in the towel.

Supplemental readings should be all coursera content, not using wikipedia, which also has tons of irrelevant information that almost anyone will read through.

By Darlene A K

Nov 26, 2020

The course instruction was not great in this course. There were not nearly enough visuals or examples given. I found I had to learn the material outside of the course before I could understand it. It is not really a stand alone instruction. Many parts should have been broken down into smaller parts with more detailed explanations and real life applications.

By Miss J D

Apr 6, 2022

Way too much information - should've been broken down into two parts. Poor explanation for subnetting. The interactive quizzes were confusing and I had to utilize outside resources. Discussion forums and mentors were NOT helpful. Glad that I've passed the section and am done with this course. I'll use another reource to master the topic.

By Ken L

Apr 10, 2020

The evaluations felt unfair, some of the questions where not clear or other super specific, some of the questions where information not covered in the material, it was an all-around bad time for me. I did learn some useful things but it felt very abstract and I was expecting a LAB to log into a VM and TS something but it never happened.

By Jeremy L

Apr 27, 2018

While I found it amazingly challenging, I found the lack of clear directions on test questions less than amazing. Also the lack of anyone beyond others taking this course for answers leaves a lot to be desired. I think with some simple improvements this would be a great course like course one of the google program.

By Jennifer B

Aug 31, 2020

This course was extremely difficult for me, in particular week 3. I found myself confused a lot because I was listening to the videos. However, I decided to try just reading the material and the video transcripts and by doing so was able to get a better grasp on the information and pass my course!

Jun 7, 2020

Technical jargon should come after you've learned its meaning and how it fits together. Subnet masking should've never been that hard to understand. I bought a book on networking just to understand the concept. The idea behind these courses are great. The implementation not so much.

By Hope S

Mar 12, 2018

Lots of bugs with the weekly exams. half of the time they do not work, however the lectures are great! I am learning alot. If they fix all the problems with the programming exams, i would definitely recommend it, but at this state, its not really something i would recommend.

By Lim B T

Oct 11, 2020

There is too much materials to digest and I feel the 5 layers of networking aren't adequately described. It would be more helpful if there is a summary of what each networking layer does, what are the protocols involved at each level, what devices are at work at each level.

By TechGal M

Feb 26, 2018

The course was overly complex and insanely wordy. The quizzes were mostly instructor-specific wording or random vocab memorization. Not very real world applicable when it came to the quizzes. Still, there is good information if you can sort through all the extra fluff.

By Dakarri J

Mar 10, 2021

Extremely difficult content to remember with video i feel give to much information at one time. as well as the videos not showing accurate play times such as a 1 minute video actually being 1:58. very hard to grasp the information without detailed explanations.

By Jill Z

Apr 8, 2018

This course was rushed and a lot of the stuff was confusing. The interactive quizzes were SO FRUSTRATING and unfair when you would get the first 9 right and then it deleted all of your answers when you got the last one wrong. Bad design, Google. Not impressed.

By Alicsesther S M A

Sep 24, 2021

N​ot enough detail; instructor goes through things too fast and doesn't try to abstract very verbose things. I'm a tech enthusiast myself, so I understand that not everything can be abstracted; but christ, I was literally going to cry on IPv6 Compression

By Batul M

Apr 24, 2020

could use detail supplemental reading on the subject material, especially when covering different Header packages for TTL and IP address. There wasn't enough background detail or in-depth description of some of the important concepts.

By Shizuka B

Apr 1, 2019

Since network is not visual, I wish the videos had more visual explanations. Also, the teacher is only one and tired listening to him (not necessary he's not good, but if somebody bothers how he talks, it would be a torture!