Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

DL

Feb 23, 2021

This course was amazing and helped me understand so much more about networking, things I never thought I would know or understand. Very fulfilling and I can't wait to use this knowledge going forward.

BC

Jun 23, 2018

I loved this course. When I had issues support was awesome sauce. I really enjoyed the puns this instructor used to keep you from going off in a daze. I really wish I would have found Coursera sooner.

301 - 325 of 9,590 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By Nalbert S

This course is great, I have learned a lot about technical support techniques and what technologies or applications are used, and how they work. I really liked cloud computing, ipv6, ipv4, layer protocols, wifi technologies, domains, dns, proxy, security, in general I highly recommend it, interactive material and good teachers, thanks!

By Samiur R T

Apr 16, 2018

This is a really great course. I learned so many things from this particular course. Network Layer Model, TCP-IP, IPv6, VPN etc. are few of the most interesting topics covered here. The instructions were easy to follow and understand. Material covered here are really extensive. If you do this course you'll learn a lot about networking.

By Bianca X

Jan 30, 2020

I really like how this course is organized, it provides tons of information and practice quizzes, yet divided them into each section so it is not overwhelming for beginners like me. I really appreciate the quality of the contents for each week, and I am glad to say that I have learned a lot about basic IT after completing this course.

By Miguel A

Aug 18, 2018

Awesome course with some very technical stuff but definitely well worth it if you plan on starting a career in IT. It will require you to seek outside resources to for better understanding similar to a college course where you have to study or read for about an 30 minutes for every 5 minute session; at least that was my experience.

By Rafaela D

Jun 9, 2021

The course is comprehensive, includes students’ success stories, and also challenges misconceptions about the profession. Additionally, the community’s support and inspiration are tremendous. If you are thinking of taking this course, go for it with all your might. Thank you all for the exceptionally fantastic learning experience.

By James F

Nov 2, 2019

This course worked my brain, which is good!

By Pavan K G

Oct 21, 2018

Really superb course for networking basics!

By Troy R

Jun 2, 2022

The course itself is excellent. I'm impressed by how much information can be easily explained in a compact format. It truly is a 5 star course.

That said, the tech support being offered is Amazon level incompetence, and Coursera should be embarrassed. The IPv6 compression exam at the end of this course has a serious technical bug. I reached out to Coursera's technical support team, two members of which -- Evelyn and Jet, specifically -- ignored what I wrote, declared the problem to be my fault, and gave me instructons on how to complete the exam because they clearly thought I was a moron. The problem was an imposed character limitation of 20 characters in the answer space due to copy/paste inexplicably adding extra invisible characters in the answer space. The other workaround to ensure a correct answer requires entering something screwball that should not have worked whenever a correct answer was checked as wrong. I did my research to get past that and solved it in under 24 hours, whereas your support team have been sitting on this for at least 6 months, as reported in the forums Evelyn and Jet so "helpfully" suggested I check. After being on the receiving end of a shining example of how not to offer IT support according to your own certification course, I'll let your crack team figure it out on their own. Rest assured, I won't bother to reach out to them again.

By Matthew V

Aug 30, 2021

If you got here from Course 1, just know this course does not pull punches at all. There is going to be several technical jargon terms thrown at you every video, and you're expected to remember them. I recommend buying a college-ruled notebook and pen, because you are going to have to write a lot down to keep up and remember everything. This is the reason I give the course 4 stars, by trying to minimize the length of the videos, there isn't quite the amount of time a typical student would need to memorize all this material.

By Pooya H

Mar 8, 2022

i wish it would be much more practical and hands on systems and real scenarios

By Seheon K

Mar 8, 2022

It would've been nice if the course provided more exmaples of how all the concepts of networking work in real life. It was pretty hard for me to piece all the inforamtion together, and understand how everything works eventually.

By Walberto R

Jul 1, 2022

having an issue with week 6 that has not been resolved by coursera. The issue has been there in one of the last excersices without a resolution. I am dissapointed at the potential for this certificate

By Ryan W

Jun 14, 2021

This networking section does not teach for comprehension. I feel like the topic is too broad for this certification and the lessons resort to teaching you fragments of protocols for you to memorize without any real understanding of how they apply to the real world. I had to do a ton of reading on my own to make connections between the information that was being offered, and even then I found the final test difficult to pass. All this and I have no idea how to configure a router or troubleshoot any kind of connection.

By Chris D

Jun 9, 2021

This doesn't feel like a class so much as a poorly written technical manual being read out loud. The material begs for a walk-through of a real-life scenario. Too much jargon is introduced before the end-to-end concept is explained clearly and simply. Many of the details need to be added only after the big picture is clear. This should be a lot easier to grasp.

By Ethan B

Sep 30, 2021

FIlled with tons of concepts that you can't really get hands-on experience from, at least not through the Coursera outline. Seeing the same "instructor" reading the script at you is just not engaging, especially when he attempts to be engaging with puns. Hopefully the rest of these courses have more tangible lessons.

By Perrin B

Aug 7, 2021

This course has very difficult material and videos do not cover everything that you are tested on in the quizzes. It says it is a "beginner" course but they do not teach the material as if you are a beginner. Maybe instead of trying to be relatable with the jokes, etc. take the time to explain the material better.

By Toma S

Jun 26, 2022

It was good till I got to the Ipv6 compression quiz/exam and it glitched out not giving me the correct grade after I got all 10 correct.

By Joshua C

Jun 25, 2022

Module 6 final exam defaults to a 0 percent after successful completion. The bug is detrimental to all progress in the course.

By Peter C

Sep 17, 2020

I attempted through both the course forums and contacting Coursera tech support to rectify a problem with a question in the graded quiz portion of the week 4 content. Both methods failed for various reasons.

There is a question in the week 4 content that either is incorrectly worded, or does not have the correct answer as an option. This is not to say that there is not an answer that is coded as correct. This is to say that even if there is a coded correct answer, that answer is wrong, because all of the available answers are wrong.

The question is what kind of packet is sent when a client sends a DNS request. The answer is UDP. The options available include one packet type, TCP, and 3 answers listing various flags for TCP that are used during the three way handshake.

While it is true that if the DNS server responds with a UDP packet indicating that the DNS response is too long, then the client will establish a TCP connection, which would involve a TCP packet, and the first packet would include a SYN flag. None of that answers the question asked.

I've given this review 1 star in the hopes that someone somewhere will take note and actually fix this problem. Tech support at Coursera repeatedly informed me that they were "not content experts" and the mentor who responded on the forums either failed to comprehend my issue, or just didn't know what they were talking about.

The course is actually very good outside of this single error, and I hope if you're reading this review trying to decide whether to take the course that you choose to do so.

By Sabrina A

Feb 19, 2021

There is no way someone who has no experience in this field is able to learn and finish this course in the estimated timeline. There were no pictures of the talked about items, nothing to show us what things looked like, we interacted with these topics on the minimum, there wasn't any way for us to associated these topics with anything. There aren't even any kind of recommendations to practice these skills. I struggled so much throughout this whole course and was more so frustrated. I felt so underprepared and as if there was no way this was worth my money. 50$ a month just to have a vague idea about anything taught in this program? I think in these times, money could be better spent than trying to catch up on all the teaching I'm not getting with this course.

By Jacob S

Oct 18, 2020

From the page for the Google IT Support Professional Certification program:"Upon completion of the certificate, learners eligible to work in the US can directly share their information with Google, as well as employers like Hulu, Infosys, Intel, Walmart, and more. "

The wording of this implies that UPON COMPLETION of the course, there will be opportunities for applications for WORK that were NOT AVAILABLE PRIOR. Saying this is MISLEADING. OF COURSE I can 'share my information with [these companies]", I COULD DO THAT BEFORE. The wording of this sentence was the ENTIRE REASON I took this course! I WASTED TWO MONTHS ON THIS! I COULD'VE JUST STUDIED FOR A+! THANK YOU FOR WASTING MY TIME.

By Lee U

Oct 14, 2021

Absolutely terrible.

Disorganized. Frustrating. Information is very in-depth. Impossible to understand and follow. I learned more by looking things up on the internet on my own. How is anyone supposed to learn this, truly understand, and apply the concepts?

I have a BS in Psychology, specifically cognition and how people learn things best. Not nearly enough practical application in this course. Things are not explained well, simply read from a slide. I'm willing to bet many googlers do not now this ridiculous amount of information. Supplemental readings, terms and acronyms is not learning or teaching. I'd give this course zero stars if I could.

By Hussein M R

Feb 28, 2021

HelloHope this email reaches you wellOkay My Problem is this, I finished all 6 courses related to "Google IT Support" two months ago, but I didn't receive my certificates because I wasn't able to verify my account since I didn't have a passport back thenafter contacting with "Islam Soliman" and finally with "Caleb" he said that i can claim my certificates anytime in the future, once i have my passport and i can verify my account.i signed in today to claim them...i couldn't or i didn't know how, since there wasnt any verify your Id thing related to "Google IT support" but instead there was "Purchase your Certificate".a little help pleasethanks

By Bruno M

Jun 24, 2021

I lost count on how many times I fell asleep while watching this module videos, the teaching method is beyond boring, the instructor can't captivate your interest, you can clearly see he's reading what he says in the videos, and I seriously couldn't listen to him anymore, they use the same instructor for the 6 weeks of the course on almost every single video! it really seems like they're more interested in making you memorize everything or quit, than to actually make sure understand it, really not the best way to teach this, didn't enjoy this course at all.

By Nabil C

Jun 21, 2020

I almost give up this course. For me horrible teaching. found in YouTube more information and better explanation to the materiel then this course. Better teaching . The quiz sometime doesn't work, especially the last one. IPv6 Compression quiz should taken out. we should not waist our time and money in such as thing. a child can do the exercise. need better and better than. I do not understand how this course got a better review. the first course " Technical Support Fundamentals" I took was great. However This one is not at all great.