Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Style by Wesleyan University

Your style is as unique and distinctive as your face, your voice, except that you can choose it, you can can work on it, enhance it. In this course we will introduce aspiring writers to the art of putting pressure on written language. We will study the use of metaphor and imagery, and demonstrate how clarity, grace, and inventiveness in word choice are imperative to a story’s success. Writers will emerge with the revision skills essential to all writers of good stories and good prose....

MS
Apr 18, 2016

Great class for the content I needed. I audited this class and benefited from the theory discussion and practical exercises. The class guided me to improve my writing style which was my ultimate goal.

LR
Dec 17, 2018

Lessons were well done, good mix of teaching and illuminating discussion between accomplished writers. Exercises are creative and well thought out. Feedback from classmates is generally helpful.

226 - 250 of 251 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

By Emmanuel A

Dec 19, 2016

I felt this course was slightly tough. When it comes to the degree of strictness in passing, I had my share. I thank God I finally passed, though some peers are very hard to convince.

By Richard R

May 8, 2017

Interesting and helpful short talks on various aspects of writing style. Would be great if the course was offered as a more comprehensive version. What it touches on, it does well.

By Kartik S

Apr 23, 2018

It was kind of fast and some tasks were really difficult compared to the other courses but it was a good learning experience.

By Konstantin T

Sep 22, 2016

Having completed all four CW modules, I feel this was a tad "inferior" to Character. High quality overall, as always.

By Nyema J

Aug 9, 2018

This has certainly improved my approach to writing with focus on word efficiency and precision

By Karl Z

Feb 23, 2017

By Claretta T W

May 1, 2016

This course helped me in my writing. I enjoyed the feedback and the exercises.

By Keira O

Oct 30, 2020

I think this a great course. Precise and full of "glamorous" recommendations.

By jennifer

Jun 3, 2019

the idea are well presented and i think have made me a stronger writer.

By arya k s

May 1, 2018

Its a great course to learn the craft of language and how to use it.

By Sophie S

Aug 24, 2018

The exercises were really great. The lessons weren't very helpful.

By Ellen B G

May 14, 2016

I was helped by the lessons regarding choosing words carefully.

By Ravi K B

May 13, 2020

One of the challenging courses in this specialisation.

Mar 22, 2017

Great, easy way to learn style. Highly recommend.

By Joseph A

Apr 18, 2016

great material

By Kristin L

Mar 5, 2017

The course information was great and the assignments were very helpful. What lost points for the course was not the content provided by Wesleyan, which was good, but the poor effort on the part of many of the fellow students to really work on constructive critiques. For each assignment I had at least one of the three peer reviews that was useless to me to improve my writing, sometimes more. There should be a way to rate critiques so that students can't move on if they don't do the work of critiquing well.

By Sayali V

Jun 25, 2020

The course is wonderful, but I have a complaint with peer graded assignments. A few students do not bother to write their own assignment and copy others' assignment. And it is very very disappointing when you get a review that you have copied someone's assignment, when actually someone else has copied yours. It was very disappointing to get such a peer review when I wrote my own assignment and someone else had copied it.

By Duygu O Ç

May 2, 2020

This lecture helped me in some ways: I have now a clear idea of cutting a piece in a proper way or what do I need as the main subjects of a story. However, the guests speak so much that was really boring. Sometimes there was no meaning in it. Otherwise, the lecturer was fine and I like his style. Thank to him.

By Donald S P

Aug 24, 2018

Less focused than the other four. The focus on facts and things was helpful, but felt less like a revelation.

By Yvette H

Oct 24, 2017

It would be helpful to list what the learner should do in an assignment and exclude what they should not do.

By Robert H

Apr 8, 2020

the least effective of the 4. mainly because the assignment was too limited and the reviews were useless.

By Nysha c

Feb 3, 2018

It's ironic that Salvatore Scabona runs the course on economy when he seems unable to follow his own advice. There is an excessive amount of repetition, off topic quotes, lengthy videos about what's coming next and poorly thought through sentences that seem to be an effort to show off his knowledge, rather than impart it. It is stark against Brando's course which is so inspiring and motivating, that I find myself skipping huge sections of Salvatore's videos without losing any of the content. It is a shame, as the rest of the course and all the material is excellent.