Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Style by Wesleyan University

Your style is as unique and distinctive as your face, your voice, except that you can choose it, you can can work on it, enhance it. In this course we will introduce aspiring writers to the art of putting pressure on written language. We will study the use of metaphor and imagery, and demonstrate how clarity, grace, and inventiveness in word choice are imperative to a story’s success. Writers will emerge with the revision skills essential to all writers of good stories and good prose....

MS
Apr 18, 2016

Great class for the content I needed. I audited this class and benefited from the theory discussion and practical exercises. The class guided me to improve my writing style which was my ultimate goal.

LJ
Dec 17, 2018

Lessons were well done, good mix of teaching and illuminating discussion between accomplished writers. Exercises are creative and well thought out. Feedback from classmates is generally helpful.

276 - 279 of 279 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

By No n

Dec 7, 2020

i was initially grateful to have something challenging to during covid. The peer reviews were somewhat helpful but for the most part, I expected some instructor review also. That would augment the learners ability to give appropriate feedback. As we hopefully improve and move along towards capstone, the necessity of having strong honest feedback is essential. When I realized it was not to be I was sorely disappointed.

The quality of the assignments was sad. Students are trying to succeed and need honesty. Most of them sucked, including myself, however, it is not my intent to rain on anyone’s parade. I do not feel the instructions were always clear or in depth enough ( on giving feedback; assignment submission). The videos were boring and a lot of unnecessary chit chat. When reviewing the notes, the written sentences had spelling mistakes and other flaws. It seemed as though written robotically.

Is there any actual human with any valid credentials actually looking at submission?

You are sponging off hopefuls who continue despite the fact that they should be told to keep their day job.

By Nysha c

Feb 3, 2018

It's ironic that Salvatore Scabona runs the course on economy when he seems unable to follow his own advice. There is an excessive amount of repetition, off topic quotes, lengthy videos about what's coming next and poorly thought through sentences that seem to be an effort to show off his knowledge, rather than impart it. It is stark against Brando's course which is so inspiring and motivating, that I find myself skipping huge sections of Salvatore's videos without losing any of the content. It is a shame, as the rest of the course and all the material is excellent.

By Megan L

May 25, 2017

The lectures were unclear as well as the instructions from the instructor I was disappointed.

By Bruce G

Jun 22, 2021

I got nothing from the student reviews I received.