Back to Cryptography I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cryptography I by Stanford University

Cryptography is an indispensable tool for protecting information in computer systems. In this course you will learn the inner workings of cryptographic systems and how to correctly use them in real-world applications. The course begins with a detailed discussion of how two parties who have a shared secret key can communicate securely when a powerful adversary eavesdrops and tampers with traffic. We will examine many deployed protocols and analyze mistakes in existing systems. The second half of the course discusses public-key techniques that let two parties generate a shared secret key. Throughout the course participants will be exposed to many exciting open problems in the field and work on fun (optional) programming projects. In a second course (Crypto II) we will cover more advanced cryptographic tasks such as zero-knowledge, privacy mechanisms, and other forms of encryption....

BH

Jan 14, 2020

Provides a comprehensive introduction to cryptographic history, current technology, best practices and known attacker techniques. A great deal of material is covered in a relatively compact program.

LG

Dec 16, 2017

This course gives is perfect to start learning cryptography, explanations are detailed, topics carefully selected combining theory with real world examples and making emphasis in important details.

51 - 75 of 673 Reviews for Cryptography I

By Markus S

Apr 05, 2017

This is a fantastic introduction to the world of cryptography! You learn about the basic concepts of encryption, authentication, authenticated encryption, public and private keys and the underlying mathematical principles that (should) make it hard to break the ciphers! You also learn about historical developments, real world applications and current challenges that would bring you instant fame in the crypto world. Also it is not a disadvantage if you really love solving puzzles!

By Piero C

Sep 13, 2017

I'm the Technical Director of an electronic company. I didn't know very much (certainly not enough) about cryptography, except some vague general information. My company needed to gain first hand knowledge to protect a new line of products, for which online reprogramming will be necessary. This crash course about cryptography has been extremely enlightening, to address the development of these procedures.

Thank you Dan for your good work and carry on with it.

By Julio J S

Feb 09, 2020

Este curso, ministrado pelo grande professor Dan Boneh, é maravilhoso, para dizer o mínimo. Mostra a teoria didaticamente, de forma a facilitar a matemática do assunto que é bem árida, mas também introduz aspectos práticos importantes para quem milita na área em particular com especificação e desenvolvimento de software. Os exames, para além de simples avaliação do aprendizado, foram ótimas ferramentas para fixar e melhorar o entendimento do conteúdo.

By Глеб Р

Nov 18, 2017

Прекрасно структурированный курс. Практические задания (optional), потребовавшие большого количества времени (почти ничего не доделал до конца, но заниматься было интересно, возможно, займусь позже). Тесты строго по лекциям. В целом, всё понятно.

Иногда языковой барьер слегка мешает (термины запоминаются не с первого раза, приходится пересматривать - названия атак и т.п.). В 1 неделе есть презентации с лекций, по ним проще искать материал.

By James N

Jun 24, 2017

I learned a tremendous amount from this course and it provided the grounding for an array of different areas of infosec studies I am pursuing. I highly recommend it. Many of the ideas were easy and intuitive to grasp, but there is also enough depth that I will likely take the course again at a later date.

The quizzes and projects were thoughtful and challenging, and effectively tested that the student understands the key ideas of material.

By Mark T

Aug 29, 2016

The course was authentically cryptic. Just kidding. Once I listened to Prof. Boneh a few time over, I started to get the idea. asymptotic security while never stated as such played a fundamental role in the security proofs. Professor Boneh augmented the notion of correctness to include immunity from side channel (Power and timing attacks). The course was a great medley of pragmatic advice and theory. I am grateful for this class.

By Javier L

Mar 02, 2018

Learning Cryptograpy is not a walk in the park as it requires a good understanding of the theoretical foundations and it is so easy to get wrong, yet it is essential for an IT professional to get a good grasp of the subject. This course is invaluable in that respect, the instructor presents the material in a clear, concise fashion without overwhelming with the math involved, giving the overview you need as a professional.

By Kasun H

Nov 27, 2017

This is one of the best cryptography courses I have seen. Initially, I felt that the course was going faster. So I skipped the course two times after following about two weeks :). But I thought to give another try for the third time. Then I started to get comfortable and understand in time.

I strongly recommend this course to people who are looking to get a better theoretical understanding of cryptographic primitives.

By Adam Z

Apr 04, 2018

A fantastic, university level course on Cryptography, most commonly referred to as the "gold standard". Personally, I found this course to be extremely helpful and assistive to my learning on the subject. However, I think that this course delves too deeply into the theory of cryptography, I think it would prove beneficial if Dan Boneh ran us through more coding examples or specific realistic use-cases.

By Rafael I C

Apr 12, 2020

Very interesting course where you learn how to analyze cryptographic constructions. I love the way is taught, building on top of basic constructions until you implement real-world systems. I certainly got interested in cryptography many times, but always dropped the courses before the end. This one got me hooked all the way!. The programming assignments were great to assimilate concepts. Well done!

By Luigi S

Jul 15, 2019

It took to me more than one month and a half to complete this course but it has been a great stimulus to learn fundamental concepts and tools about cryptography. One of the most difficult part has been public-key cryptography mostly due for its base on number theory but now I have a good knowledge of RSA and Diffie-Hellman key exchange protocol. I look forward for the 2nd part of the course.

By Mark P

May 05, 2017

Excellent in-depth introduction to the field of Cryptography! Absolutely rigorous treatment of the subject, down to every last mathematical detail. I feel like I sat in on a real university course at Stanford, and I believe this experience will help my work, my employer's products and will allow me to look critically at cryptographic code that comes across my desk. Thanks Prof. Boneh!

By Pierre M

Mar 06, 2018

A truly excellent course. The content is very well done and presented, the problem sets challenging enough and the programming assignments are interesting and really worth completing. Dr Boneh explains all the concepts in a very clear manner and has tons of practical examples to share, which bring to light what can at first sight seem a little abstract. I highly recommend this course.

By Alexey G

Aug 16, 2016

Amazing course and an outstanding teacher. Worth every penny and minute spent on this one. You learn not just how to build secure systems but also how NOT TO, which I consider even more valuable.The material is explained so fluently you have no doubts about professor's outstanding knowledge of it. This doesn't mean it's an easy course, though, so get prepared for some headache :)

By Ovidio M

Apr 13, 2020

An excellent course to learn the fundamentals of cryptography at a pretty deep level. It includes very well crafted programming assignments and tests. The professor is an expert in the field and very rigorous and precise. The materials are very well crafted and it contains a lot of interesting and useful references for extension. It was quite hard but it was definitely worth it.

By Serikzhan U

Jun 03, 2018

Thanks to Prof. Boneh and the whole Team for this brilliant course, and all the support provided. Although the program was quite challenging, it was very structured and informative, and provided an easy way to learn complex subjects. I'm looking forward to continuing to study cryptography discipline, and I would definitely recommend this course to my friends and colleagues.

By Romain G

Aug 28, 2020

Great course. It describes most commonly used encryption algorithms with fun historical examples. Explanations are given from diverse point of views including cyber attack, data protection and computational efficiency. Assignments are challenging enough for people comfortable with computer sciences, probability and number theory and maybe a bit hard for people who aren't.

By jyoti y

Oct 30, 2017

The course was extremely informative and interesting. I do not possess a computer science background and enrolled in the course just to learn a little about cryptography. While the learning curve was steep, the course content was engrossing that I did not want to stop. Infact, it motivated me to gain more knowledge in the field and I am currently learning programming. :)

By Lior S

Oct 19, 2016

This is a great course that was taught well, and had very helpful mentors. In general I found the course challenging but not too difficult. The reward was a good understanding of the open cryptographic protocols that are used in most real world applications. As minimum prerequisites, I would recommend having done courses in statistics, probability theory and programming.

By AMAL V

Oct 02, 2016

I took the course in 2014, whether you are a beginner in cryptography or a regular practitioner, the course won't disappoint you. Another master class from Stanford. The problem sets and programming assignments are of reasonable difficulty. So if you are planning to take a course on cryptography, this is just the one- comprehensive and up to the expectations.

By Quý Đ H N

May 01, 2020

Thank you Coursera and The professor for such an oppotunity to learn Cryptography.

It's very challenging in the begining but the more i learn the more interesting the subject becomes. Professor Dan Boneh is really great at teaching the materials.

I hope that Cryptography II will be opened soon so that i could further my career in the cybersecurity field.

By Abdur R R K

Aug 25, 2017

This course has taught me crypto basics in the best possible way. I am eagerly waiting for the second part to enhance my knowledge about this interesting field. The Lectures and they way questions were formed in quizzes made the learning interesting and benefiting. Best wishes to the instructor and Organizer who arranged and compiled the course material.

By Babich K

Apr 07, 2020

Very interesting course! Good, balanced presentation of lecture material. Weekly tests make you think well and study the theory more deeply. Despite the fact that there are few questions in the tests, they are not so simple as not to open the textbook. Later I want to finish all optional programming tasks and read recommended books more carefully again.

By Kenneth H

Apr 09, 2017

This course is the real deal. You will have to work hard to pass it. It gives a solid overview of the main cryptographic concepts like pseudo random generators, functions and permutations, block and stream ciphers, public key encryption, and key exchange. If you haven't studied number theory, plan to spend some extra time getting up to speed.

By Andrey A

Oct 17, 2016

I am happy about the fact, that this course is teaches people very important Cryptography subtleties. This makes me think more about -- what would be the best way to preserve this information, so that it can guide future human generations! Thank you, Professor Dan Boneh! I am looking forward for the Crypto II. Kind Regards, Andrey Arapov