Back to Cryptography I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cryptography I by Stanford University

Cryptography is an indispensable tool for protecting information in computer systems. In this course you will learn the inner workings of cryptographic systems and how to correctly use them in real-world applications. The course begins with a detailed discussion of how two parties who have a shared secret key can communicate securely when a powerful adversary eavesdrops and tampers with traffic. We will examine many deployed protocols and analyze mistakes in existing systems. The second half of the course discusses public-key techniques that let two parties generate a shared secret key. Throughout the course participants will be exposed to many exciting open problems in the field and work on fun (optional) programming projects. In a second course (Crypto II) we will cover more advanced cryptographic tasks such as zero-knowledge, privacy mechanisms, and other forms of encryption....

BH

Jan 14, 2020

Provides a comprehensive introduction to cryptographic history, current technology, best practices and known attacker techniques. A great deal of material is covered in a relatively compact program.

BC

Mar 11, 2017

Cutting edge cryptography topics. Good explanations and slides, but pause button is highly recommended. Can be a bit too mathematical for the general public, and not very formal for mathematicians.

76 - 100 of 655 Reviews for Cryptography I

By Naftali A W

Jun 14, 2020

This is just about the best course of taken so far. The videos are very informative, the notes are loaded with relevant information and the discussion forum crowns it all as my questions got answered timely. I loved taking this course and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in learning network security.

By Nikita K

Feb 25, 2017

The way material is presented and the cource pace is perfect. After lessons the topics are clear and there will be much more understanding why all those crypto libraries are built like they're built, and how to use them even in case the API is not elegant and is error prone. Can't wait until part II!

By Dzejlan

Jun 07, 2016

I didn't have time to finish but first couple of weeks were great, a lot of math concepts sometimes hard to grasp but I like it, that is why I enrolled, I recommend it for anybody who knows some math and want to know history, how it works and background of cryptography from beginning till this day.

By Andrei P

Jun 20, 2018

Great intro to crypto, I learned a lot, from easy to more sophisticated things. But all in all, the way of thinking is what I liked the most, building everything on logic. I thought the course was well structured and its homeworks were a great resource to learn more and ask myself more questions.

By Vansh J

Jun 29, 2020

Extremely well planed. Maintains a balance between introducing the ideas, implementations of various cryptos while still keeping up with all the relevant mathematics behind them. you will come out of this course understanding the cryptography far better than you did before, Highly recommended!

By Chloe E G

Jun 15, 2020

Really good explainations of each concept throughout the videos. Would really recommend to anyone, even those with little to no mathematical skill beforehand. Haven't used maths in years but with these videos and the extra reading recommended I managed to understand each concept and pass. :)

By Qi N

Jul 03, 2017

Great Course! It is hard and mind-energy consuming while listening to the video (sometimes I have to repeat again and again to get what he says), but gives me a good intro to cryptography. I would probably read the articles he recommended and finish those optional programming projects later.

By Peter O

Nov 15, 2017

I got a great overview of crypto. Most interesting thing is that the developer should be very careful on every even small detail during the implementation due to different possible types of attack. Big plus are also the (non mandatory) homeworks. I'm excited to continue with Crypto II - ho

By Sajjad A

Apr 14, 2019

The Best Course for The one who really want to be skilled with CryptoGraphy, as it is the only and best way of learning cryptography.

This course is simply life changing, I suggest to everyone that enrolled here as soon as possible, else you will get old to learn these techniques later.

By zeyuan

Jan 07, 2019

LOVE this course and cannot wait to start Part II: Professor Boneh is a wonderful professor and he truly enjoys teaching this course. Some mathematical background is required, however, and some of the formulation at this points look unnecessary (but also necessary for being rigorous)

By Konstantinos G

Nov 10, 2017

Thank you very much professor Dan Boneh it was an honor.

Manu thanks to Stanford University for giving me the chance to participate in this amazing course.

Looking forward to Cryprography II.

Have a nice day and continue making our dreams come true step by step.

Greetings from Greece.

By Rehan V

Aug 01, 2019

Amazing course. I learnt a good deal about the vast cryptography world. Dan Boneh is an amazing teacher, there's so much more that I have to learn to understand the complex crypto world. This course helped me design products which meet cryptography standards. Thank you very much

By Vishwas P

Jul 12, 2017

Exceptional course on getting basics of cryptography. Not only teaches the theory, also gives practical advice on what is the right choice as of today. Looking forwarding to Cryptography II class stating September. I only wish, I had more time to finishing programming exercises.

By Kedar J

Jan 05, 2018

Initial lectures set the stage for building more complex schemes. One of the most intense courses I have taken. Prof. Boneh is so passionate about the topic and a great teacher. He really wants you to get the topic. Awesome course! Thank you and looking forward to Crypto II.

By Nazim

Dec 20, 2016

Usually cryptography is something what developers don't like to touch or pay attention to. Fortunately, most crypto features are available: just use openssl. But understanding is still important, though the course was very helpful for me. Thank you very much, Dan Boneh.

By Geoff E

Jan 09, 2017

A great introduction to cryptography. The material is all contained in the lecture videos making it easy to work through. The notation becomes a little hard to keep track of following week 4 but that's probably my fault for not committing it to memory thoroughly enough

By Filip R

Nov 20, 2016

The course is very well structured and gives overview of whole flow and systematically prepares us to understand each of the part. I am really looking forward to Crypto II, where will be described more things about certificate and new exchange protocols. Thank you.

By Vlastimil P

Jan 14, 2017

This course is definitely worth the time -- the explanations are very logical with refined transitions from topic to topic. I enjoyed every part of it including the tests and programming assignments. Thank you very much for filling many gaps in my knowledge!

By Manana M H

Mar 07, 2019

This is the best course for a beginner especially in terms of understanding the concept of security in relation to encryption schemes that are used in practice today. This course best explains security of encryption algorithms. Looking forward to crypto II.

By Jason M

Jun 25, 2017

Honestly, a great course in Cryptography. The professor is very lucid and clear. Notation isn't too heavy and the ideas in this course are explained very clearly. Yes, you might have to pause and rewind some of the videos, but that's just because it's math.

By Jayamine A

Aug 20, 2017

It was awesome! I learned a lot and the professor pointed out useful additional reading. Since I'm going to do my PhD in cryptography, it's really important to me. And I god financial support to finish the course. Thanks professor and coursera team!

By Ben E

Jun 22, 2018

This course was an excellent way to put all the ad hoc crypto knowledge I've picked up over the years on to a sound footing. It was very nicely structured and presented, and the optional programming challenges were great. Looking forward to Part 2!

By Manish.M

May 06, 2020

At first, it seems like there is a lot of concepts to digest but as the weeks pass, we can recognize some patterns in the various encryptions and way in which we create a challenger-adversary game. It was interesting and truly informative. Thanks!

By Henrik B

Nov 15, 2016

I always wanted to know a bit more about cryptography, and this course is perfect as a starting point. It balances theory with practice. The part I enjoyed the most was the programming exercises where you could use some of the theory in practice.

By Aliaksei K

Oct 12, 2017

Great course. The amount of math is just enough for providing a solid theory background. All the materials are presented in a logical order and enhanced with good examples. The size of the course allows get accounted with essential fundamentals.