Back to Dairy Production and Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dairy Production and Management by The Pennsylvania State University

With the world's first MOOOOO-C, you will gain a broad and comprehensive understanding of all aspects of dairy management such as genetics, nutrition, reproduction, animal health, farm economics, and sustainability of dairy production systems. There's something here for everyone whether you are just looking for the basics or have years of experience in the dairy industry. This is an eight-week course. Each week consists of four to nine video lectures, additional reading materials, and a multiple-choice questions quiz. Estimated study time is between three and five hours per week. Learners have the option to purchase a Course Certificate for 49.00 USD. The certificate can be purchased at any time, but you must verify your identify before taking the course quizzes in order to be eligible. For those who cannot afford the certificate fee, financial aid is available through Coursera. Why is producing milk efficiently and sustainably so important? Milk provides humans with over 16 essential nutrients, such as: Energy, Protein and Essential Amino acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, several B vitamins, including B12, Pantothenic and Folic acids, and essential minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, as well as other minerals. Did you know that one glass of milk provides a 5-year old child with 21% of his/her daily protein requirements and 8% of their energy needs? Most milk in the world, about 85%, is produced from cattle. However, water buffaloes, goats, sheep, and camel are also dairy animals. The United States, India, the European Union, Brazil, and New Zealand are among the largest dairy producers in the world. Yet among these dairy-producing countries there are varied methods to generate milk with highly variable productivity and efficiency. Dairy production is vital for the survival of billions of people. Globally, around 150 million small-scale dairy households, equivalent to 750 million people, are engaged in milk production. The number and size of dairy farms varies among countries, but in India alone, there are estimated 78 million dairy farms! In the United States, one of the leading milk-producing countries in the world, total milk production has been steadily increasing in the last decades, reaching over 205 billion pounds (93 billion kilograms) in 2014. This was accompanied by a steady increase in average milk yield per cow, reaching 22,260 lb (over 10,100 kg) per lactation in 2014. How has this efficiency been achieved? What methods are necessary to ensure production of high quality milk? How do we balance milk production efficiency with animal health and environmental protection? This course will provide the student with information to better understand dairy production systems and their role in feeding the world population. In this MOOOOO-C, you will learn about the dairy enterprise from internationally recognized dairy science professors who have delivered highly regarded dairy education programs within the United States and internationally. Course lectures are translated into Portuguese and Chinese; PDF files of these translations can be found under each course week. The Dairy MOOC team thanks Dr. Antonio Branco (Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Brazil) and Ms. Yuanyuan Zhang (Pennsylvania State University) for translating the lecture materials. Course Sponsors This course was supported by the generous contributions of Innovation Center for US Dairy at Silver Level and Pancosma North America, RP Nutrients, Inc. and Arm and Hammer, which provided funding support at a Bronze Level. The Pennsylvania State University has final responsibility for the academic content of this course....

AC
Nov 14, 2020

The course gave a clear and detailed view of all the compartments of the dairy industry with specific number and studies that give a clear message of the development and the cycle of the industry,

Dec 20, 2019

it was an amazing course which help me to understand the dairy production and management and also help me to improve my knowledge regarding dairy management as well as skills.\n\nThank you.

51 - 75 of 259 Reviews for Dairy Production and Management

By Shahzaib

Dec 20, 2019

Thank you.

By M F K

Nov 14, 2020

It was an amazing experience as i learned alot about dairy production and management under the supervision of great teachers and i will apply my knowledge in my practical life. Thanks

By Dr A A M

Aug 6, 2020

I would like to thank all the professors and mentors for guiding me about different aspects of dairy production and management with applicable examples (wherever required ) in depth.

By Carlos G

Gracias por tan valiosa informacón proporcionada, nos sera de gran ayuda para complementar con nuestra experiencia, y así compartir con el desarrollo productivo de nuestro país...

By Erwin P R

Oct 7, 2020

Thank you PENNSTATE for the special course it will help me to understand what dairy is.

and to the instructure to the different module the topic you delivered is so informative.

By Mohamed F X

Aug 2, 2020

its a very comprehensive module to educate the new comers in all the aspects for Dairy Framing. I found it very easy to learn, understand and relate to the topics very easily.

By Ibrahim S K

Oct 7, 2019

A very good resource of knowledge, I have learnt many things not about what I do but also about enviromental management which we barely have time or grazing which we do not do

By Tran Q H

Jun 20, 2020

this cours really benefit for my major after i graduate. it provide for me mutible knowledge about how to raise ruminant, how to operate a farm to have maximum profit

By MOHAMED Z

Jun 27, 2020

In fact this is one of most beneficial and organized coarses i have ever studied. I want to thank all the staff and i wish all great achievements for all of you.

By Gonzalo D P

Mar 7, 2019

Muy completo el curso. En un mismo curso se encuentra una variedad de temas que por lo general se requiere ver varios cursos, esta todo en uno!!!. Excelente.

By Augusto R K

Sep 18, 2018

GREAT COURSE!! INCREDIBLY COMPACT BUT COVERING ALL MAIN ASPECTS OF DAIRY BUSINESS. RECOMENDATIONS, SOLUTIONS AND WARNINGS READY FOR IMPLEMENTATION. THANK YOU

By Jose F A

Aug 3, 2017

this course give me more knowledge about the dairy industry. I hope you can give us more courses like this but in other topics as beef for example. thanks

By Mensey C

Oct 18, 2020

Above excellent, I have gained tremendous knowledge specially on dairy nutrition and diseases management. Looking for android based dairy applications.

By Jodel A L

Oct 17, 2020

I really love how the professors gave discussions from the feed consumptions up to the marketing. I recommend this course , so many topics to learn.

By Sachin D

Apr 7, 2018

It was very useful information I found during this course. Please let me know any course related to dairy farming in future. I will be interested.

By Qasim Q

Nov 22, 2016

I have found this course very informative and got a lot of information through this course. I recommend all related people to join this course.

By Richard H

Jun 1, 2016

It is wonderful to see the tremendous advances in Dairy Production and Management methods since I grew up and worked and lived on a dairy farm.

By Santosh J

Sep 15, 2020

Very informative course starting from root level to advance. Thanku coursera and pennstate and expecting goat farming course in near future.

By BESAY M G

Jul 19, 2020

Un curso muy completo y muy bien planificado. Contenidos muy claros y a disposición en una amplia variedad de idiomas. Muy recomendable.

By José D R C

Jun 25, 2016

Un curso muy completo y que permite comprender a fondo todos los conceptos y temas que corresponden a la producción del ganado de leche.

By Đặng N H

Dec 20, 2018

This coure is very good. It helps me to improve my knowledges for dairy cow, especially to practice English for my speciallize major.

By Rasika S

Aug 28, 2020

Excellent course that I had learned and I gained a lot of knowledge on dairy science. I don't hesitate to recommend this to others.

By Leslie M

Feb 5, 2017

It was a lot of fun and I was able to take a lot of the ideas and information and apply it to our commercial beef operation as well.

By Dr. F H

Jul 28, 2017

Very informative and practical course. It refreshed my knowledge and also learn many new things which will be helpful for my work

By Luis M J C

Jun 11, 2016

It´s being a great opportunity to improve my understanding in the US dairy production and management system. Very useful lessons!