Back to Data-driven Astronomy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data-driven Astronomy by The University of Sydney

Science is undergoing a data explosion, and astronomy is leading the way. Modern telescopes produce terabytes of data per observation, and the simulations required to model our observable Universe push supercomputers to their limits. To analyse this data scientists need to be able to think computationally to solve problems. In this course you will investigate the challenges of working with large datasets: how to implement algorithms that work; how to use databases to manage your data; and how to learn from your data with machine learning tools. The focus is on practical skills - all the activities will be done in Python 3, a modern programming language used throughout astronomy. Regardless of whether you’re already a scientist, studying to become one, or just interested in how modern astronomy works ‘under the bonnet’, this course will help you explore astronomy: from planets, to pulsars to black holes. Course outline: Week 1: Thinking about data - Principles of computational thinking - Discovering pulsars in radio images Week 2: Big data makes things slow - How to work out the time complexity of algorithms - Exploring the black holes at the centres of massive galaxies Week 3: Querying data using SQL - How to use databases to analyse your data - Investigating exoplanets in other solar systems Week 4: Managing your data - How to set up databases to manage your data - Exploring the lifecycle of stars in our Galaxy Week 5: Learning from data: regression - Using machine learning tools to investigate your data - Calculating the redshifts of distant galaxies Week 6: Learning from data: classification - Using machine learning tools to classify your data - Investigating different types of galaxies Each week will also have an interview with a data-driven astronomy expert. Note that some knowledge of Python is assumed, including variables, control structures, data structures, functions, and working with files....

SK
Sep 10, 2020

Really amazing course! Gave me insights into how data analysis works in the field of astronomy and how one can use different machine learning techniques to classify the huge amounts of data generated.

MC
Feb 28, 2020

Its been amazing to learn about the celestial objects, stars, galaxies. The lectures and quizzes spurred in me to explore new material online. Great hands on exercises in python and machine learning

101 - 125 of 273 Reviews for Data-driven Astronomy

By Pratik S S

Oct 12, 2020

This is such an amazing course which helps me to improve my astronomical knowledge and improving my coding skills as well. I'm glad that I came across this course.

Thank you so much !!!

By Yudisthira I P

Aug 31, 2020

very comprehensive course, a little bit advance but in general beginner like me can catch up the course with an effort.

the improvement I gain after enroll this course is outstanding

By Kingshuk M

Very well structured course. Effectively combines the physics of astronomy with computational tools. Really enjoyed and got inspired listening to the interviews with astronomers.

By Bartosz P

Jul 23, 2019

It's a nice and short intro to both astronomy and analysing data with python. For me it was a too short because I would like to learn more about this topic, but totally worth it.

By Arthur O

Jan 27, 2020

Great introductory course about different real world problems faced in the field of Astornomy and how different technologies and computational solutions can be applied to them.

By ABDUL J K

Apr 25, 2020

An amazing course! Was a bit challenging at first, but it didn't take long for me to get the hang of it. Was quite interesting and informative throughout. Absolutely loved it!

By Abdul A

Jan 22, 2019

Excellent presentation and delivery method by the instructors and very good course content. Highly recommend it anyone curious about Universe and to understand it better!

By Shivam R

An excellent course! Computer science students interested in astronomy will find this course very helpful to develop a practical approach for their programming skills!

By Ananth S

Apr 24, 2019

Wonderful course and loved every bit of it. My only concern is that I would love to have some form of a certificate even though I can not afford to pay for the course.

By AMIT S

May 23, 2020

Assignments are core of this course and are brilliantly designed . Pace of course is ideal and it encourages you to study more in each of skill area it touches upon

By Sandeep P S

Jun 26, 2020

Excellent Course for introduction to Astronomy with Data Science. The assignments were well really well planned and the videos were involving. Loved the course !

By Erik H

Sep 28, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. You'll learn some python, some SQL. But for me most important was learning more about astronomy and the universe. Very interesting.

By Carlos V G

Jun 21, 2020

Really enjoyable course. Great for learning basic stuff regarding data management and machine learning algotithms, all in the fascinating context of astronomy.

By Ryan H

May 6, 2017

Great class! I didn't know that these techniques were used in astronomy. I am looking forward to more science and scientific computing courses from Coursera.

By JAI S

Jul 1, 2020

This course was very thorough,easy to understand and really fascinating, every little bit was explained clearly. This is what an online course should be like.

By Nohely C

Jun 1, 2020

Es un increíble curso! Bien organizado y con excelentes profesores. La herramienta externa es genial, con ella pude aprender a usar Python! Gracias por tanto.

By Josh C

Jan 2, 2019

This class is incredible and inspirational. I learned so many highly applicable skills and I am very glad to have taken this class in its entirety. Thank you!

By Syed K H

Feb 25, 2018

One of the interesting course and topic of coursera. Very informative, even you are not from this field, you will get lots of knowledge of this Astronomy.

By Miguel A

Apr 21, 2020

Fue un excelente curso , me ayuda mucho para poder intentar el procesado de unos catalogos de galaxias en especial la parte del machine learning aplicado

By Xiaoping L

Mar 11, 2018

It's awesome! the combination of lecture and coding-tast is a very brilliant mode. This is my first course I have ever finished in Coursera! Thanks!

By karthik s

Jul 22, 2020

I really loved the content from this course. The information that was given in the course was at least from decades of research and its conclusions.

By Erin D

Sep 30, 2018

Excellent. Teaching is thorough and concise, the quizzes and external coding problems are challenging enough but not overwhelming. A great course.

By Rian F J

Oct 24, 2020

This course is very fun to work on. I like the platform they are using to practice coding. The videos are also very informative and interesting.

By Pierre B

Apr 20, 2018

Great course to get an overview of the type of problems that astronomy faces and how to use data and machine learning techniques to solve them.

By Bojan D

Jul 28, 2020

This is an excellent course. I would strongly recommend it to everyone who is interested in astronomy, machine learning, or computer science.