Back to Developing Data Products

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Data Products by Johns Hopkins University

A data product is the production output from a statistical analysis. Data products automate complex analysis tasks or use technology to expand the utility of a data informed model, algorithm or inference. This course covers the basics of creating data products using Shiny, R packages, and interactive graphics. The course will focus on the statistical fundamentals of creating a data product that can be used to tell a story about data to a mass audience....

Mar 3, 2016

This is a great introduction to some of the many ways to present your data. It's probably the easiest course in the specialisation but shows off an impressive array of widgets and gadgets.

RS
Nov 18, 2018

This course was amazing, it could definetly be more deep in each of the subjects, but gives you so much practice in tools that are very useful in the day by day of a data scientist

376 - 400 of 409 Reviews for Developing Data Products

By Piyush V

Jan 5, 2018

This is an okayish course. One should ideally complete it in 3-4 days max. Or an expert can complete in 1 sitting. Gives you a good basic introduction to plot_ly and shiny apps. Rest you are the one who has to play around a lot with online dummy datasets.

One major takeway for me is that: Weekly client reports which hardly change or change a bit and are currently done in excel, can be done in R-shiny with all those tabs and drop down features (similar to building dashboard). You only need to have licensed shiny app profile for data security issues.

By Allen C L

Dec 21, 2016

The course introduces us to a ton of valuable material for developing data products. But it is up to the student to have the initiative to dig deeper into the material by going through the various API reference documentations in order to create the final data applications. I'm not sure there is a better way to teach this course; but it felt like I was left to my own devices to complete the course. In a way it was a good learning experience to have to complete the assignments without much hand-holding from the instructors.

By Miguel C

May 15, 2020

I enjoyed this course more than I thought I would. I enjoyed learning about googleVis, Plotly, Leaflet but especially Shiny. I think Shiny apps are quite useful (although a bit frustrating to program), and the course project was one of my favorite of the whole specialisation.

Some of the content I didn't find very interesting, such as building R packages or swirl lessons, and other times it felt repetitive, especially RStudio presenter.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and I would recommend it to other people.

By Brandon K

Apr 6, 2016

The class was OK. This was the topic I was most excited to get to in the specialization, so I started playing around with Shiny, Slidify, and other tools ahead of time. Because I had gained some basic familiarity with those packages, this class was a bit of a letdown. I was happy with the week on making R packages. That was all new and fascinating. If you're looking for something more advanced than a very basic overview, you may want to look elsewhere.

By Ben T

Jan 30, 2021

This course was more fun as it largely involved practical examples of programming skills. I did learn things from the examples but as always learned far more from the internet and posts about errors. The instructions for the final project are extremely confusing and few of my peers got them right. Since the discussion boards are dominated by requests for reviews they are almost worthless except for the clarifications posted by teaching staff.

By Ytsen d B

Aug 15, 2017

From this course I took away how to make shiny apps.

This is very useful and fun to do.

There was much more material covered in the course, but that was not tested via the assignments.

That means that passing the course does not ensure that you actually master these subjects as well (one example is creating and publishing a new R package).

By Jo S

May 4, 2016

The course is fine in the content. As usual, the presentation from Brian Caffo is rather rushed and stumbling. A better presenting style would improve the course no end, but ultimately, what is covered is what you need. I generally just avoid the videos and read the slides.

By Guilherme B D J

Oct 13, 2016

Although I really liked the content of this course, the videos seemed to be have been done with rush. Many of the explanations were started but not finished and the presenter had many breaks during his speech to think or to go back with a better explanation.

By Marco S C

May 23, 2016

This module is not the same level as the previous ones, giving a superficial view of several package but not on any deepens. The application development was the positive part of the module.

By Kevin

Jul 6, 2016

Nice course, but the discussion forum are not the same as in the old format. I also think that the shiny videos from Rstudio are better than the instructional videos in this course.

By Aaron W

Aug 28, 2018

The course is a great survey of tools for sharing data analyses with R. Unfortunately, the content is already a little out-of-date because the technology is always developing.

By Léa F

Feb 19, 2018

This course is clearly not the most interesting of the specialization regarding math/theoretical knowledge, but it helps you get to know a nice way of presenting your results.

By Vaibhav S

Nov 13, 2016

A bit fast paced as they teach so many things in a single week. But the stuff they teach is surely great and makes you appreciate the beauty of R

By Jesse K

Dec 26, 2018

The concept itself was great, but there were numerous issues with the peer review exams, especially around the requirements.

By Shreyas G M

May 3, 2016

This course isn't as clearly outlined or carefully prepared as the others in the Data Visualization specialization.

By Alvaro B C

Jan 18, 2016

I have not received yet my certificated and I can't see it in the list. Is there something wrong?

By Tai C M

Oct 7, 2017

Not bad. But I feel that this topic is more for those who likes to develop web products.

By chris

Oct 18, 2017

Good range of topics - updates to content would be useful --> eg http://jupyter.org

By Vitalii S

Sep 2, 2017

This course can be updated:

1) add swirl lessons.

2) add more video materials

By Aleksey K

Feb 26, 2016

The course is OK, but I'd rather learned app development with Python or Java.

By Diego T B

Nov 7, 2018

Interesting but I had to learn most of the things here by my own

By Michael K

Feb 13, 2016

Lots of material in a short amount of time.

By Martin S

Feb 26, 2016

Updated and entertaining!!

By Vijay B

Feb 8, 2019

Review took too long

By Lucicleyton H d F

Feb 6, 2019

The syllabus is very unbalanced through the weeks. For example the week 01 could be split into two weeks . The week 04, in my view, is unnecessary.