Back to A Crash Course in Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for A Crash Course in Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

By now you have definitely heard about data science and big data. In this one-week class, we will provide a crash course in what these terms mean and how they play a role in successful organizations. This class is for anyone who wants to learn what all the data science action is about, including those who will eventually need to manage data scientists. The goal is to get you up to speed as quickly as possible on data science without all the fluff. We've designed this course to be as convenient as possible without sacrificing any of the essentials. This is a focused course designed to rapidly get you up to speed on the field of data science. Our goal was to make this as convenient as possible for you without sacrificing any essential content. We've left the technical information aside so that you can focus on managing your team and moving it forward. After completing this course you will know. 1. How to describe the role data science plays in various contexts 2. How statistics, machine learning, and software engineering play a role in data science 3. How to describe the structure of a data science project 4. Know the key terms and tools used by data scientists 5. How to identify a successful and an unsuccessful data science project 3. The role of a data science manager Course cover image by r2hox. Creative Commons BY-SA: https://flic.kr/p/gdMuhT...
Highlights
Basic course
(76 Reviews)
Well taught
(48 Reviews)

MD

Aug 28, 2016

Is really hard to summarize the potential of Data Science and being clear, but I think that the instructors have done their best, so that we can achieve the most from the Course.\n\nGreat Job!

SJ

Sep 10, 2017

This is a great starter course for data science. My learning assessment is usually how well I can teach it to someone else. I know I have a better understanding now, than I did when I started.

51 - 75 of 1,275 Reviews for A Crash Course in Data Science

By Tiago A

Jul 17, 2016

I recommend this course to all who wish to be a data scientist, and, for those who want to be managers of a team of data scientists. The course introduces basic concepts, tips and tools, and also good articles as supplementary reading. Recommended!

By Mohtad A

Apr 15, 2020

This is such a good course for knowing about Data Science in a short time. All the instructors are good in explaining every topic. I think this course helps a beginner to understand Data Science, it's architecture, work, projects and other staffs.

By Siddharth T

Apr 03, 2016

The course lays out the basics of Data Science in a very easy to understand manner for someone who is a beginner and gives an overview from where you can start scouring for more information either through the further courses or outside of them.

By Andrew C

Feb 10, 2017

A good introduction to Data Science. Clarified a number of questions that I had about what it actually is. Presented in a way that does not dumb down the material, but still makes it accessible to a person without a science or data background.

By Jeferson N d C

Jun 20, 2016

I liked the methodology to explain with details all the embasement of Data Science. I'm learning since the basic to advanced. I'm gonna do a MBA in area of Data Science and this certification become a more one step to me. Congrats from Brazil.

By Jon D D

Oct 27, 2018

I am very pleased with this course as a way to introduce data science concepts, tools and issues to neophytes without scaring them off. I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to comprehend this increasingly important field in our world.

By RANJEEV A

Jan 10, 2018

A very useful insight into the Data Science Crash Course, I loved watching the videos with transcripts, PDFs containing examples and links, such information reinforced the learning and understanding the concepts and course content. Great job!

By KARTHIKEYAN R

Sep 13, 2017

The course content was great covering all the basics one needs to know to get a idea about what is data science and the instructors was very clear in explaining the concepts and provided a lot of relevant examples.A personal thanks to them.

By DB

Jan 01, 2019

The course is general enough for non-specialist, but rigorous enough to keep you challenged and interested. Highly recommend for anyone who deals with data and data analysts / engineers as part of their work, or who aspires to do so.

By Victor W

Jul 08, 2017

Very effective introduction to management of the Data Science and Engineering team in a corporate environment along with the first fundamental requirement of initiating a Data Science project - what question are you trying to answer.

By Dumidu H

Apr 30, 2017

If you're looking for an introduction to data science and machine learning which doesn't get your feet too wet this course is ideal. Its meant to be a conceptual introduction to the subject. Just what I was looking for. Thanks Guys.

By dulanjali w

Oct 10, 2020

This is a really important course to follow. I have completed this course as I wanted to refresh my knowledge in this field. I was able to successfully completed all the grading criterias and Now hopeful to obtain my certificate.

By Gaurav D

Jan 13, 2020

This was an excellent introduction to data science although early exposure to data science and technology trends helped me understand it better. This weeks course helped me clear some of the basic concepts that I wasn't aware of.

By Debtanu D

Apr 24, 2020

This was really a very good and comprehensive course about Data Science for people like me from Pharma backgroun who have no relation with statistics or analytics. Very simple language and seamless flow to understand the basics.

By Scott R H

May 30, 2016

Great overview. The distinction between statistics and machine learning gets a little fuzzy, but probably because I never took statistics, and have only used machine learning in a limited context. Really enjoyed it, thanks.

By purushothaman

Mar 04, 2020

An insightful course that prepares leaders to strategize their data science initiatives. The course provides best practices when applied rightly improves an organizational ability to answer questions effectively with data

By Milling, T

Nov 12, 2019

The course gives a good general understanding of Data Science and to understand some of the tools and techniques used to acquire data, analyzing data and to answer questions to determine if the data acquired is beneficial.

By Christos R

May 26, 2019

This is a nice crash course for executives, that avoids technical details. A slightly more in-depth study of what machine learning is and how it works may be needed, but this is of course covered with following courses.

By Jason A G

Oct 04, 2016

The crash course is true to its word. It gives you a fast paced overview about data science. However, the learner is advised to read more about the matter. The free e-book is more than enough to give a solid background.

By Mohammad A G

Mar 25, 2017

I liked the course. The only problem of this course is it was a little bit advanced for a person like me who did not have any idea about data science. Otherwise it's a good course to start learning about data science.

By Levi O

Oct 05, 2020

I enjoyed the classes, very informative, a good balance of the reading material & video lectures. Flexibility in scheduling. Being a first time in online courses, I loved it, well done to my lectures & this platform.

By Shawn J

Jun 27, 2018

It is a good introductory session to Data Science for general business/technology managers. They use layman's term to describe important concepts and business prerequisite to run successful DS team and organization.

By Sakib M

Sep 07, 2017

Great course for a non-quantitative, non-data scientist like myself. Really like that the course is grounded in the real world - i.e. is teaching data science with a view to solving real-world, important challenges.

By Ian L

May 17, 2017

Thanks guys, I did not know much about data science before this course, but now I want to pursue it. A lot of this info can be easily studied from the transcripts but it is a great foundation for courses to come.

By Li X

Oct 03, 2019

Definitely connected the dots together for me. Easy to understand and shed light on how to making progress on more learnings. Now I am not afraid of any data science questions because I have a good big picture.